Sign in to follow this  
forthewin99

what dont i understand about map editing here?

As you can see in the picture, every time I place down some tile (in this case, wood) and then try to place an accessory on top of the tile, (for example, I'm trying to put a wheel on the wood for a ship) it removes the original tile and places down the accessory with space around it. WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! 

This also happens with things other than space, like if I placed down a bunch of water for the ocean and then put the ship tile down and then the wheel, it would remove the ship tile and just show the wheel on top of the water tile. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! Please help! :(

post-60266-0-72351500-1463258483_thumb.png <--- sorry it's so small, just click on it 

Only certain tiles can be used as base tiles. You may want to try and find a tutorial that discusses the physics of tiles and things like auto-tiling, passability, using shift keys... all kinds of stuff. It will help!

Press F1 for the manual, this part I am pasting from it can be found under;

Editing Maps --> Editing Map design

Special Specifications for Lower-Layer Tiles

The A2 tiles in the tileset under the tile palette's A tab (rows three through six) are divided into base tiles (columns one through four from the left) and embellishment tiles (columns five through eight from the left). Embellishment tiles can be placed on top of base tiles.

However, with tilesets where Mode in the tileset dialog box is set to Field type, placing embellishment tiles over base tiles selected from columns two or four transforms them into column-one or three base tiles.

Edited by Scrogdog

^^What he said. Sometimes for things like this I just create events instead of trying to rework my tilesets. A simple solution is to just make the tiles floor tiles. and make the steerig wheel events. You can use any tileset on the map except for A as an event graphic. Set be btm two ad Same as Player so they're impassible, and the top two as Above Player if you want the play to walk behind them.

Only certain tiles can be used as base tiles. You may want to try and find a tutorial that discusses the physics of tiles and things like auto-tiling, passability, using shift keys... all kinds of stuff. It will help!

Press F1 for the manual, this part I am pasting from it can be found under;

Editing Maps --> Editing Map design

Special Specifications for Lower-Layer Tiles

The A2 tiles in the tileset under the tile palette's A tab (rows three through six) are divided into base tiles (columns one through four from the left) and embellishment tiles (columns five through eight from the left). Embellishment tiles can be placed on top of base tiles.

However, with tilesets where Mode in the tileset dialog box is set to Field type, placing embellishment tiles over base tiles selected from columns two or four transforms them into column-one or three base tiles.

^^What he said. Sometimes for things like this I just create events instead of trying to rework my tilesets. A simple solution is to just make the tiles floor tiles. and make the steerig wheel events. You can use any tileset on the map except for A as an event graphic. Set be btm two ad Same as Player so they're impassible, and the top two as Above Player if you want the play to walk behind them.

omg thank you both so much. The event thing seems like the quickest easiest fix. I have been exposed as a person who doesn't watch tutorials, haha. Thank you guys again, so much.

I love this forum

9RWO0dm.png This thread is closed, due to being solved. If for some reason anybody would like to re-open this thread, just send me a PM or report the thread. (=