Tiebreaker for second!!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. [Poll Finished | Do not answer] Whose game did you enjoy the most? [Poll Finished | Do not answer]

• Forest at the edge of the world - Nirwanda
    • GUISE P.I - Shiggy

"Yay, Jackus has no school anymore" Special Edition!

87FTQx0.png

I need to be better at making logos. ~Eien Nanashi

Hello again! Do you remember the other three contests? If you do, here it is, the fourth installment in this awesome contest series! (We try to host it bi-monthly. Try to.)

News:
1st Place - JacobM (49/80)
2nd/3rd Place - Nirwanda | Shiggy (48/80) -TIE!!
4th Place - Rikifive (47/80)

5th place - NPC (44/80)
6th place - magic2345 (39/80)
7th place - Yuugami (26/80)
8th place - RavenBlueIndigo (22/80)
9th place - Akashosu Naoto (18/80)
10th place - CynaMarqi (17/80)
11th place - Eien Nanashi (10/80)
12th place - Kirimash (9/80)

--Disqualified--
Takeo212 - Game had no method of loading, and still crased when you made one. (??/??)

This contest is simple. (Or so we thought)

Once it starts, you have to make a game, but you have to do it in 1 week.
You also have to do it by your own! No teams allowed.
You can use any game-making program, but people will use RPG Maker anyway. In that case, you can use any RM.

Of course, we're not asking you to making a full-length game, just a game of any length! Do what you can manage in 1 week.
Once the game-making period is over and the games have been submitted, it will be scored by the judges. There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners depending on how high their score is!

The winners will get prizes from the prize pool (order and amount depends on current prize pool content).

For more details, read below!

If you would like to participate, just make a post in this topic that you want to join! (You can also be a judge if you would like!)

[/anchor]Rules:

• You must submit your game before the contest ends. (see below)
  • You can only start making your game after the contest starts. (see below) Make sure that you create a new project AFTER it has been announced. You cannot use a project file that's been made before the date.
  • You cannot change the link to your game in your submission post once the game-making period is over. Doing so will get you disqualified.
  • Games with any issue upon start-up (missing files, broken intro scene), or have game-breaking bugs early on that prevent progress will be disqualified.
  • If said game-breaking bugs are found further into the game (close to the end/final phase), you will receive a fixed penalty of 10 points.
  • Other kinds of bugs which do not prevent progress will still incur penalty, depending on the severity of the bug.
  • You cannot have other people working on your game. Playtesting is allowed, but playtesting only.
  • You can use resources made by others/public resources. But you cannot start making resources in advance for the game that you will make for this contest.
  • You cannot use ripped resources or resources from other games in your project without permission of the copyright owner, if you are found to have used a ripped resource, you will be disqualified.

Dates:
Contest Information made public: Whenever this is posted. (17th May - 6:30pm GMT)

Contest start and signups close: 24th May - 6pm GMT
Contest end and judging starts: 31st May - 6pm GMT

Judging finishes: Around 3 weeks after then game making ends. Depends if the judges submit scores early or not.
Results announcement: A few days after judging finishes, or earlier.

Indie in a Week 5: Sometime around end of July/start of August. Maybe.

Prize Pool:

All prizes have been taken. Please join us next time for more!

1st Place -Pick 2 prizes + Croc's commission
2nd Place - Pick 2 remaining prizes
3rd Place - You get the remaining 2.

Note: You need to have Steam installed to redeem Steam keys/gifts.

If you would like to donate a prize (spare steam keys or any gift that could be a prize) then feel free to PM me with details. :)

[anchor=Participants]Participants:

If you would like to sign up, please post and mention in it that you would like to join/participate in the contest!

The same goes for those who want to be a judge for the games, please mention in the post that you would like to be a judge!

Note: You can be both a judge and a contestant at the same time, but be aware that you will be unable to judge your own game (obviously) if you do so. The other judges will.

Contestants (13/17 Submitted - NEW HIGH SCORE):

Judges (8):

Note: If you change your forum display name during the contest, you will still be listed as your original name that you had when you signed up in the contest.

Scoring:

The scoring criteria is based upon the guidelines from the IGMC.
AJM45XS.png

Basically, you will be scored (by the judges) in three main categories. Presentation, Gameplay, and Engagement.
But actually, it's four categories. You will also be scored in Theme (or, The Twist).
Scores will be given in a scale of 0 ~ 20 for each category, meaning you can receive a maximum of 80 points.

The Theme is the theme of your game/story. You will be scored depending on how well you interpret and implement it.
It will be completely up to your interpretation, so don't just take it literally.

Still, don't let the Theme stop you from making a game if you think you can't make up a clever interpretation. That's just 20 of the 80 points you might get a score on. What's more important is that you have a game. Use the theme as inspiration.

What if there are glitches/bugs in the game?

As mentioned in the Rules;

• Games with any issue upon start-up (missing files, broken intro scene), or have game-breaking bugs early on that prevent progress will be disqualified.
  • If said game-breaking bugs are found further into the game (close to the end/final phase), you will receive a fixed penalty of 10 points.
  • Other kinds of bugs which do not prevent progress will still incur penalty, depending on the severity of the bug.

Since the given time is just in a week, we'll be lenient on infrequent minor typos (and I ask that the judges do the same).

Repeated minor issues such as typos or wrong tiles will result in a few points taken away. Try not to be too harsh with this, judges.
Major issues which affect gameplay will also decrease from the total score. Judges, try to use your judgement with this.
A game breaking problem which prevents continuing will hold a fixed penalty of 10 points, with additional points maybe being lost in categories if content is missed.
Any issue upon loading the game (such as missing files or broken intro scenes) will mean you are disqualified!

Please remember to playtest your game all the way through to completion at least once before submitting it, to make sure it works as you intended!

<What about length? What's stopping someone from holding up judging with a 60 hour grinding masterpiece? And when does a judge stop judging?>

About length, the game can be realistically any length. However don't expect anything over an hour to be judged. A judge can stop when either they reach the end, are stopped by a bug, or reach 1 hour. They don't have to stop over an hour, but after that point they can quit any time without a reason.

For judges, If you believe a game is frustrating or unplayable you can also stop, but make sure to tell me your reason if you stop early. Just don't stop because it's a battle system you don't enjoy or anything like that.

FAQ/Misc. Details:

<So I notice this is INDIE in a Week, does that mean you're not allowed teamwork? What about other people playtesting?>
Ah, this old topic, this one got much debate before. Basically, anyone actually working on the game (Creating maps, events and enemies etc...) is not allowed except for you and you alone.[/b] This is a one man army challenge, a team would throw it all off balance. You can brainstorm with other people, and bounce ideas off them, as long as the one doing everything is you.
As for others playtesting, sure. They can even give you bug reports and stuff too, as long as they don't actually fix the bugs in your project and send it back. You must be the one who does the actual editing and "work" of the game.

<So I've gotta do all of this, in a single week? I'll never make it, I'll end up procrastinating or getting caught up in real life situations :(>
Ah, about that. I'm not looking for the next Final Fantasy, I don't expect a fully fledged RPG in a week, heck I don't even expect that in a month. But what I do want is your best shot. If you're short for time you could always cut it short. The games I like best in past Indie in a Week contests were short, sweet and concise. For a (terrible) example, check out Glory Quest which I made in a single hour!

And as for real life, I understand that sometimes (well, most of the time) these situations are unavoidable. My only advice is this, be prepared. If the contest dates just happened to land on the days where you have to do something important, I apologize. But, we can't really do anything about that once the dates have been decided.

You should have something ready, don't wait until the last minute to submit. Try to get it in at the very least a few hours beforehand. You don't' need to squeeze out every second of game development, some of the best games for previous IIAW contests were submitted days before the deadline.

Remember, you could always update your game as long as it's still in the game-making period.
However, updating/changing your game link via post editing is against the rules, and you will be disqualified if you are caught doing it.

<What resources can I use?>
You can use any public resources, and even commissions (although I don't recommend it) as long as you have the author/artists permission to use it in a contest. Despite the lack of cash prizes, some may consider a contest like this to be commercial use, so tread carefully.
From this IIAW forward, resources ripped from other games are not allowed, since they're illegal.

<Can I make my own resources for my game before the contest starts?>
As for your resources, anything made before the contest is fair game, you can use any of it since you obviously have your own permission.
However, if you make the resources with the intention to use it for your game that will be submitted for this contest, you cannot use it. Anything that you make solely for your contest game before the contest starts is not allowed. You would be effectively be "working" on your game for more than a week.

Sure, you can say you intended to use it for another game, and this just happened to come by. If that's the truth, okay.

But if you started to make things after this topic was posted and before the contest starts with the intention of using it in your contest game later... Well, we can't stop you. Nor can we read your intentions and know the truth. But keep in mind that you'll be cheating.

<Does that mean I can't think up of concepts/story for my game?>
You can, don't worry. (We can't stop you from thinking!)

There is a theme however, so you'll need to implement that somehow.
It's a valid strategy to think up of some ideas so you don't have to spend time thinking when it actually starts.
You could also think up of an idea where it's easy to implement the theme somehow.

Tips:
- Don't spend days thinking up of the idea. You can start with a simple one and go from there. Just start, and you might even get ideas more easily!
- Start small. Don't plan too much features. We're not expecting a full length game. In fact, we're expecting very short games. Games that can be made in a week.
- Having more content in your game is important, so focus on that. Again, don't spend too much time thinking what's the "absolute best" (or something like that) you can fit in before you even do it/anything.
- If you're running out of time, don't be afraid to cut it short and wrap it up quickly! A game that feels complete is better than a game that feels like an unfinished demo.
- "Most importantly... don't procrastinate!" ~ Eien

- And of course, have fun! It's the most important thing.

Happy game making! :lol:

If you have any questions, ask it here in the topic. I could have missed something (as usual).

What happens now?

• IIAW5 Hype.

Special Thanks:

Jackus - "for not being in a 'writing mood'" ~Eien
Eien Nanashi - for procrastinating
Rikifive - for ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) - ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Eien - for making most of this post ~Jackus

• Like 5

Sign me up, you bastards, because I'll be making a game in a week!

• Like 1

Sign me up, you bastards, because I'll be making a game in a week!

Done.

(To avoid unnessecary posting if I like your post that means i've added you. If I run out of likes i'll post normally lol)

I'm posting for a free like. jk

I guess I have to join. Because after all... you know.

Sign me up.

Time for more procrastination. I failed last time...

Let's hope I can release Procras 4 this time. :P

amy give me bad rats now pls

• Like 1

I had a game idea for this situation, but I don't have anything ready. Sign me up as a judge, and just PM me whatever I have to do.

• Like 1

I had a game idea for this situation, but I don't have anything ready. Sign me up as a judge, and just PM me whatever I have to do.

A PM will be sent out to all the judges on the 31st with instructions on what to do.

What the hell, I'm in. Let's do another tiny game! :)

• Like 1

Oh, this again. Of course I'm in!

• Like 1

I've said it in every other topic, I may as well do it here for tradition~

Nah, I should have 3 days off during that deadline week, so I might actually get some time to do something!

Sign me up~

Edited by Takeo212
  • Like 1

You can sign me up too ,I want to try again. Maybe I will manage to make a full level this time ^-^

Yo, I would like to be a judge.

Totes would love to stream some awesome (or awful) games again.

• Like 1

Whoa, this came out of the blue!

Sign me up as a contestant, as usual. Hopefully I can make something better this time.

• Like 1

Sadly I will be too busy on those dates meow so I can't join T^T Plus I dunno if I can pull a Neko Rush kind of twist again ^~^

Count me in. . . ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This time I plan to:

Make an 8-bit type minigame that will have: (most likely a platformer one)

- 100% unique gameplay as for RM!

- 100% of my silly pixel art

- 100% of my sound effects

- 100% of my own music from my new upcoming album named "Best When Muted" (I hope I'll manage to make it sound less ear-destructive though) (I have no idea how to make music, but it'll be fun! XD)

My rules:

0% of RTP

The challenge is real. (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ Ì¿) spideyblast12.gif

Great logo by the way! =3

• Like 3

Adding all the new contestants and judges to the list now, but the poste editor is being weird.

Hang on..

• Like 1

I could probably fit in judging. Not even gonna attempt participating this time.

When I get home from work I'll look through my humble library to see if there's any decent unredeemed Steam keys as well; not a great chance but I suppose one man's trash is another man's half-eaten cheeseburger. 

My rules:

0% of RTP

The challenge is real. (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ Ì¿) spideyblast12.gif

This....THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS! *shudder*

• Like 2

Added everyone to the lists eventually, the post editor finally decided to play ball.