Lord Vectra

Need help with Battle System

I've had this idea for a long time so I decided to put it into action. I got stumbled to a writer's block with World of Chaos so I'm working on this as a side project until I get another idea for World of Chaos, Here's a card I've already created.

5nOrDKo.jpg

The battle system is a mix of a few cards games I play(ed). Here's what I have so far.

There are elements: Dark, Light, Fire, Wind, Earth, and Ice. It's like Bakugan and YuGiOh where the element you chose to play with is really a matter of preference. "Soul" is another word for your health.

You have different tyoes of cards:
Evos (AKA Evolution): You can transform these cards to a greater version of them if you have enough points of whatever element you need.

Fusions: Fusion Monster can only be used when you meet it's summoning Conditions (like YuGiOh). Unlike YuGiOh, there is no etra deck so you must draw this. (Ex: You must put 1 "Crimson" and 1 FIRE card from your deck into your hand and discard them. If you do, summon this card).

Gods: These are rare cards that requires you to discard cards equal to half of their cost. if decimal, it is rounded down. (I probably should've put that on Crimson).

Spells: Certain spells do come with cost like normal monsters (ex: use 2 FIRE points and activate this card) and some have no cost at all. For every 2 spells you activate, you gain 1 point. You can distribute that point to any element.

Counters: This is similar to equip cards in YuGiOh but with the effects of Trap Cards. (EX: When you opponent initiates an attack, gain 20% of your CURRENT soul.

Elemental Points
There is cards that show a number rather than elements. Ex: If a card shows "3" as a cost then that means you mu sacrifice 3 points no matter the element(s).

This is just a sketch I made last night but I'm open for ideas. I'm still stuck on how is the actual battling going to go. I'm thinking of
making them into states but I don't know what to do from their. Is the monster sumoned for x turns? Give the monsters health
and then add health to yours and, if the added health depletes, then the state goes away? Basically, the state/monster has
to go away some way.

What do you think?
Edited by Lord Vectra

This is a very interesting idea. I don't think I've played a RPGM game that uses cards for the battle system, then again I don't play to many RPGM games to begin with.

Nice new profile Pic by the way. ^.^

Thanks.

I might have an idea on my problem. Though, idk if it'll work yet.

Well, a card battle system, much like Duel Masters, it's obvious you'll need to balance everything. The attack/Health thing should be a little more giving with the example, but otherwise, being a god, I can't complain.

I've made my own little card game before, but I only drew the cards, not implemented them. As for the elements, I do like the circle you have, so woo!

Also, good icon :3

Thanx.

I decided that imma make them with states. It'll make it easier and I don't have to make two copies of every skill. The only problem is, how am I going to have the elemental cost work? I'll figure it out. 

Well, have all of the elemental costs work with items in your inventory. For example, a simple common event setup you could use is to have a basic fire spell take three fire stones out of your inventory in order to use. If you can't, then the spell you want to cast fails/fizzles, thus ruining your day.

Another way for this to work, in terms of inventory, is have the wait ability be made for each element, then when you select wait, it'll generate a corresponding item to match the costs you need of each element. You would, however, need a script to show what you have to cast your spells, instead of having to click on items, look, go back, and then select what to do.

I thought of the same thing. I can use an ammo script for that. Im going to event the enemies cost by usimg variables and switches.

For the summoning, im having ur summons be around for turns equal to its level + 3. Its going to be the same for the enemy.