Dear Community, I am happy to be back and working on a new project.

One Cut Studio presents to you:

TREASURE QUEST

version 1.10 (BETA Dem0)

kiqXaVP.png

Trailer:

Click here to view the game's trailer.

Demo Download Link:

Mediafire Download 

Known Bugs for the Demo: (Many have been fixed in the latest version)

• Standing on a spike after it hits you initially won't continue to take away health (Intentional...so not really a bug).
  • Getting hit by a green slime and punching a vase won't return your sprite back to the "slimed" image but the status effect will still remain.
  • A small bit of lag occurs at the beginning of level 3.

Abstract: Navigate mazes, solve puzzles, look for secret treasure.
Genre: Puzzle/Maze RPG
Game Progression: An alpha demo is ready containing the first three levels of gameplay.
Recruitment: No recruitment needed. 

Story / Setting / Purpose: Now with more story!
This game is intended to be a pick-up and play arcade style game. The goal is to get the highest score possible by collecting as much treasure as you can.
You play as Max Banks, a treasure hunter following in the footsteps of his grandfather. After his grandfather's death, Max inherits an old journal and a map marked with locations of various treasure sites. Max makes it his mission to fulfill his grandfather's dreams and gather all the treasure he can.

Features:

• Replay Levels: Levels will be completely re-playable. Your highest score gets saved and counts toward you final game score. Currently nine levels are planned.
  • Challenge Modes: There are three different challenge modes: Easy, Normal, and Challenging. Each mode affects your overall score modifier and status effects during the levels.
  • Score Bonuses: You can get score bonuses for completing a level in a certain amount of time and for completing a level with perfect health.
  • Character Death: Your character can get injured by monsters and traps resulting in death. Dying in a level will bring you back to the main menu.
  • Custom Evented Menu
  • Achievement System: Earn achievements based on what you accomplish in the game.
  • Secret Treasure: Each level will have secret treasure to add to your final score. These secret treasures will be hard to find and usually involve solving an additional puzzle. Clues for finding secret treasures in levels will be found scattered throughout the game's levels.
  • Non-RTP: The overall goal is to have this game as Non-RTP as possible. I am designing all sprites and tiles specifically for this game. Eventually the music will be Non-RTP as well. 

Characters:
Protagonist: Max Banks
Max is a young treasure hunter seeking to prove that the mazes and dungeons of the worlds
are conquerable. He aims to penetrate their secrets and amass fortunes in gold, gems, and precious artifacts.

Enemies:***NEW***
Ichor Slimes: -1 Health, Slime slows you down for a certain period of time.
Ice Slimes: -1 Health, Freezes you in place for a certain period of time.
Fire Slimes: -1 to -3 Health depending on level of difficulty; speed increases for a certain amount of time.

Void Slimes: Transport you to the origin of the maze.

Surprise Mini-Boss: ??? (In level 6)  :giggle:

The King Slime: ??? 
Brown Mushrooms: Spores produce repelling or pulling gravitational fields for a certain period of time.
Purple Mushrooms: Spores induce a mind control effect (loss of character movement).
Black Mushrooms: Spores induce blindness.

TRAPS: ***NEW***

Spike Traps: You stop on them and it hurts you.

Pot Traps: ???

Gate Traps: ???

Beta Credits:
RMMV Plugins:

• Tor Damian's Bind Pictures to Map
  • Quasi's Puzzle-A Plugins
  • Yanfly's Stop Event Movement
  • Yoji Ojima's OuterSelfSwitch
  • Huddell's Orange HUD
  • Huddell's OrangeHUDLine

Screenshots:

Updated GUI ***NEW***

JHqPjWf.png

Level One Screenshot

XwvKUbI.png

Level One Screenshot

JSYgIfn.png

Level 3 Screenshot: The Forlorn Swamp

RgAcI2S.png

Level 4 Screenshot: Temple of the Sun

dt3NxGS.png

Level 5 Screenshot: The Clearwater Isles

Okbw6G9.png

Level 7 Screenshot:

w8s9gcN.png

PROGRESS/CHANGELOG ***NEW***

Level One: Finished

Level Two: Finished

Level Three: Finished

Level Four: Finished

Level Five: Finished

Level Six: Finished

Level Seven: Finished

Level Eight: Finished

Level Nine: Finished

Bonus Level: Concept Planned Currently postponed

Mini-Game: SLIME SHOOT: Finished

Achievement System: 65% Completion.

Opening Cutscene: Finished

OST: 0% Completion. (May release with RMMV BGMs for now).

This looks like a fun little time waster. I do like the little menu set up you have going on there as it does feel really mobile like. Interested to see how this will turn out!

This looks like a fun little time waster. I do like the little menu set up you have going on there as it does feel really mobile like. Interested to see how this will turn out!

Thank you. I actually have done quite a bit on the game since the first post. Level 2 is almost finished and I am getting started to get my concept down for level 3. I planned quite a fun challenge for Level 3 but I don't want to spoil it. I also added some animations for when the character interacts with objects. It really makes the game feel more dynamic.

Hi everyone!

I updated the main post with new information. There is a new titlescreen, progress report, and information on various enemies

found within the game.

If anyone has an idea how I can accomplish what I listed in the section "Other Goals" that would be greatly appreciated.

I am slowly working them out but any help that would save me time would be awesome.

Once Level 3 is done I will make a gameplay trailer and put out the alpha.

Thanks,

-OCS :)

@TARQ:

Sorry about the double post. I thought I had waited long enough than I realized I had responded to a comment earlier. My bad. Also thanks for the advice.

Please dont double post in a 72 hour period.

Score is an easy one. Just have a variable display window. If you aren't comfortable with scripting this from scratch then any basic HUD script should be able to do what you need.

Pause screen's are very possible. I did one for my TD by having a button press activate a switch, then having a page on each enemy which stopped their move routes. Can't remember it too well but it worked well enough. All you'd have to do for your version is disable player movement and call a command window. Again, very easy stuff scripting wise so you should be fine even if you don't script much.

I can't really see the problem with your hp system; why not just increase the no. of hearts or make enemies deal half-hearts? Anyways, this might help http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/blog/431/entry-1384-creating-a-hud-beginner-intermediate-using-common-events/

Hello everyone! An alpha demo of Treasure Quest is available now. It has taken awhile to get it to this point. I've been spending the last week and a half fine-tuning some things with my first alpha tester. I decided to open it up to the community. Mods, please move this thread to the gaming lounge please. A link to the download can be found in the main post.

Accepting feedback that is constructive criticism only.

I would like to know:

• What you thought of the game.
  • Would you be willing to buy a full version commercially?
  • Did it have replay value for you?
  • What you liked/disliked.
  • Was your playing experience enjoyable?

Keep in mind I am a one-person development team. 

I hope you enjoy my game thus far.

Thanks,

Demo gameplay can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour to infinite. The levels are all replayable.

For a one man project that is something other than your standard RPG, I gotta say that this was a nice little venture through some mazes while dodging slimes and spike traps. After figuring out what I was actually doing, I seemed to enjoy it and tried to see if I could beat some levels as fast as I could on all three difficulties.

Depending on the price of the game, I wouldn't mind paying for a full game of this. If you are able to pack it with some more content and other goodies, I think this could warrant a purchase.

As for replay value, trying to clear a stage for a high score or seeing how fast you can clear a stage is possibly more than enough, seeing that this is geared toward a possible mobile demographic and all. I could see myself going back to it just to see if I could possibly beat my previous scores after learning a few things while playing the level the first time.

As for the things I liked, you can pick it up and play it for short bursts and still enjoy it for that amount of time. It's simple in it's design and doesn't require a whole lot to run it. I also like how it's in a single executable file since it saves time from having to extract a folder and trying to find a place for it somewhere. However, I did run into a few issues that made it a little frustrating. All that I could find are listed in the spoiler below here.

Typos in the first Journal Entry: "My priorities are changing and I /caa/ no longer live the dangerous life of a Treasure Hunter.."

First puzzle was a little confusing, especially since the arrows can almost look the same when turning them north or south.

Even through I had plenty of time left for when I finished one of the normal missions, I wasn't granted a time bonus upon finishing. Yet, I get a time bonus when I finish a hero mission. I'm not sure if there's suppose to be a certain time limit to finish these quests to obtain a time bonus. If there is, letting the player know what time they need to finish the maze to get a time bonus would be helpful.

The timer still runs even when the menu is open. Not sure if intentional or not.

While backtracking, some slimes in the second level block some paths and will not move out of the way, forcing the player to make contact with them.

Some tiles on top of the hedge maze in the second level cannot be passed through, causing the player to get caught on them and having to walk around them. Might be because of passibility issues?

Even as a standalone client, there are instances where the client would freeze and lag. Could be my computer, but nothing that can be done with it, sadly.

Finding secrets can be a bit confusing, especially when you get trapped in the second level. Maybe a subtle visual cue would help?

The mushroom in the third level that send the player going in different directions can be a little difficult to navigate around. There seems to be no window of opportunity to try to gain control of your character after he's done going on his own mushroom trip.

The third level of the demo seems to be impossible to complete. I've poked around everywhere I could and still could not figure out how to finish it. I might be missing something here, but that's where I ended it for now

Overall, I liked this little treasure hunt. I can see how someone could spend some extra time to see how fast to complete the levels. They do take a big of brain power to finish some mazes, but they aren't too difficult. Except for the third maze... I'll need to poke around at it some more. Can't wait to see what else is in store for this little game! :)

Edited by KaisoAri

For a one man project that is something other than your standard RPG, I gotta say that this was a nice little venture through some mazes while dodging slimes and spike traps. After figuring out what I was actually doing, I seemed to enjoy it and tried to see if I could beat some levels as fast as I could on all three difficulties.

Depending on the price of the game, I wouldn't mind paying for a full game of this. If you are able to pack it with some more content and other goodies, I think this could warrant a purchase.

As for replay value, trying to clear a stage for a high score or seeing how fast you can clear a stage is possibly more than enough, seeing that this is geared toward a possible mobile demographic and all. I could see myself going back to it just to see if I could possibly beat my previous scores after learning a few things while playing the level the first time.

As for the things I liked, you can pick it up and play it for short bursts and still enjoy it for that amount of time. It's simple in it's design and doesn't require a whole lot to run it. I also like how it's in a single executable file since it saves time from having to extract a folder and trying to find a place for it somewhere. However, I did run into a few issues that made it a little frustrating. All that I could find are listed in the spoiler below here.

Typos in the first Journal Entry: "My priorities are changing and I /caa/ no longer live the dangerous life of a Treasure Hunter.."

First puzzle was a little confusing, especially since the arrows can almost look the same when turning them north or south.

Even through I had plenty of time left for when I finished one of the normal missions, I wasn't granted a time bonus upon finishing. Yet, I get a time bonus when I finish a hero mission. I'm not sure if there's suppose to be a certain time limit to finish these quests to obtain a time bonus. If there is, letting the player know what time they need to finish the maze to get a time bonus would be helpful.

The timer still runs even when the menu is open. Not sure if intentional or not.

While backtracking, some slimes in the second level block some paths and will not move out of the way, forcing the player to make contact with them.

Some tiles on top of the hedge maze in the second level cannot be passed through, causing the player to get caught on them and having to walk around them. Might be because of passibility issues?

Even as a standalone client, there are instances where the client would freeze and lag. Could be my computer, but nothing that can be done with it, sadly.

Finding secrets can be a bit confusing, especially when you get trapped in the second level. Maybe a subtle visual cue would help?

The mushroom in the third level that send the player going in different directions can be a little difficult to navigate around. There seems to be no window of opportunity to try to gain control of your character after he's done going on his own mushroom trip.

The third level of the demo seems to be impossible to complete. I've poked around everywhere I could and still could not figure out how to finish it. I might be missing something here, but that's where I ended it for now

Overall, I liked this little treasure hunt. I can see how someone could spend some extra time to see how fast to complete the levels. They do take a big of brain power to finish some mazes, but they aren't too difficult. Except for the third maze... I'll need to poke around at it some more. Can't wait to see what else is in store for this little game! :)

Thank you for playing. You have some very valid points. I'll take a look at what you mentioned and see what I can do about it. I am already working on fixing the arrows for level one. My first alpha tester already made it clear to me it was too confusing.

As a thank you I will help you with level 3:

You need to actually destroy the mushrooms. That's the puzzle. Get close enough to interact with them (even though Grandfather's journal said to avoid them). Once you destroy all six, the key will be set free from the stone. As for secret treasure...sometimes swamp gas isn't the only thing that bubbles to the surface. Check the bursting bubbles. :D

As a thank you I will help you with level 3:

You need to actually destroy the mushrooms. That's the puzzle. Get close enough to interact with them (even though Grandfather's journal said to avoid them). Once you destroy all six, the key will be set free from the stone. As for secret treasure...sometimes swamp gas isn't the only thing that bubbles to the surface. Check the bursting bubbles. :D

Yup, that did it! Thanks for the help. I think I spent more than enough time trying to finish it the first time.

I guess I shouldn't follow Grandfather's advice all the time, then. =P

Edited by KaisoAri

Hi everyone I updated the main post with my progress so far. I added a few new screenshots from some of the new levels.

I have made some significant upgrades since the alpha demo release. Maybe a new demo will be put out later on. We shall see. In the meantime enjoy the new screenshots. I added KaisoAri to the list of alpha testers as he is the only one who has responded to this thread with feedback. What takes me the longest is creating the graphics for each level and since every level is themed differently it is harder to re-use assets. It seems daunting but I am just plugging away at it. I would very much love to see this on Steam.

I also exported the demo to mobile recently and found that some serious optimization is needed for this to become a viable app. Even with the game's mobile look, PC users are my target audience.

Thanks,

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give you all a quick project update on Treasure Quest. As of now Level 7 is complete and I am beginning work on

Level 8. Level 9 is the Boss Level and then there is a bonus level...so pretty much still three levels to go. Additionally, after the levels are done I estimate it will take some time to debug and work on the achievement system. Then the music. I might keep the RTP

BGMs for the initial release and make a future release with my own BGM and extra content. When all my levels are complete I 

intend to submit this game to STEAM greenlight. Please check it out and give it support! Either way I am making this game for the fun of it. My lead tester is addicted to it and thanks to him I can't get new levels out fast enough...which is a good thing because it
keeps me on track with development.

Added some new screenshots and updated the GUI. Check the main post for info.

Thanks,

Hello Community!

Announcing the release of my game's BETA demo which you can download for FREE here:

Mediafire Link

The full game is mostly complete. All that remains is completing the achievement system and testing each level and system thoroughly. Read more about the game in the OP. I think this is a fun little game with some great replay value. If you can, give it a play and leave a comment.

I intend to submit this game to STEAM Greenlight. Please show your support only if you want too. If this game does get Greenlit and becomes available on STEAM, I'm sure I will give away some free keys to this community! We do some awesome work here at RPGMakerCentral!

Thanks,

Quick update:

I posted Treasure Quest to Steam Greenlight's Concept submissions. Unfortunately it is not getting much attention there. Even with fun gameplay and custom assets my game is lacking momentum and a following. I invite anyone to download and play the beta demo. Please leave comments and vote on Greenlight's Concepts if you support this project.

As of now, I am currently losing steam(pun intended) on this project and have lost the motivation to continue working on it.

Thanks to anyone.

-OCS

Hello everyone!

Update time after a long hiatus. I have been developing this game little by little over the last few months. It is very near completion and almost ready for a full release. The biggest portion of remaining work is creating an original sound track. I might release it with the standard RPG Maker BGMs at first and later patch it with my own music when I'm done.

All nine levels and the minigame are complete. Finally, the achievement system is mostly finished too. Stay tuned as I will be looking for people to review the game...and...a sequel to this game is currently in the planning stages.

Look forward to it!