​Forest at the edge of the world:

Abstract: A villain gets dragged into a quest to save a village.
Genre: Fantasy, Dungeon crawler
Average Demo Time: 1:30 / 2 hours
Game Progression: 50%

Story / Setting / Purpose:
As Desmond, hot and upcoming villain your life was simple: exploring crypts and ruins in search of the ultimate power while (non-lethally, you're not very good at this evil thing) fending off would be heroes. This all changes when your life is saved by a feisty fairy named Meera and a woman named Dinah and you end up unwittingly questing to save Dinah's hometown.

As a side note, this game takes place in the same universe as my other game and roughly at the same time as well. So they both share lore and a few nods.

This game was originally made for the Indie in a Week 4 contest.

Character Bios:

Desmond:

face029.png

(I was very tempted to call him Oscar, if you know what I mean) Our hero, or shall we say villain. A self proclaimed force of evil whose megalomania is crippled by certain thoughtful tendencies. He sees himself as a smart individual and a creative mastermind, but it remains to be seen how much of that is true.

Mirroring Riev from The Messenger and the Cursed One, Desmond is a magic/melee hybrid, though he has a higher emphasis on magic. His skillset is very varied and he can cause several crippling status effects on foes.

Meera:

face037.png

(No, it's not KilloZapit, stop asking) Having left the fairy kingdom, this knight wanders the land in search of a purpouse. She seems to have found one as a Jiminy cricket styled conscience for our wayward villain. She quickly strikes a deal with him to be his familiar, only to start bossing him around the next minute and force him into helping Dinah's village.

Also mirroring a character from TMatCO, Meera acts pretty much like Gia: she's a straight up melee warrior, though unlike her predecessor, she has a variety of support spells to keep her relevant when things require Desmond's magical touch.

Eric:

eric-c.png

You know him, you love him. Eric is your typical hero and right now his mission is stopping your villainous plans whatever they might be. In his free time, Eric enjoys dabbling into psychology, and when not dazzled by the complexity of human mind he likes mixing different types of tea to create unique drinking experiences.

In battle Eric is exactly what you would expect: a one trick pony. That trick being sticking his axe in you. While powerful the very limited nature of his combat skillset make him less of a threat than some of his allies. He also has a hidden potential.

Credits:
Intensive playtesting:
Eien Nanashi

Scripts:
Yanfly
Modern Algebra
Tsukihime
Fomar
Craze
Mr. Trivel

Music:
Kevin Mc leod
Bensound.com
Purple-Planet.com
http://www.danosongs.com/

Windowskin:
Rpgmakersource.com

Screenshots:

image.png

Eric tries his psychobabble on you.

image.png

You're kind of an smart-ass.

image.png

Not everything is sunny forests.

Features:
- Charm and humor (hopefully)

- A variety of skills give you different tactical possibilities in combat

- Made with Celianna's beautiful Ancient Dungeons tileset

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0x9k1qjte6unsgl/Forest+at+the+edge+of+the+world.exe

Known Issues:
In the opening cutscene an attack animation is supposed to play over Desmond, but for whatever reason despite being set up right, it displays in the middle of the screen.

Edited by Nirwanda

Yeah, Meera definitely isn't me. I would never act as a conscience. I would totally trick a villain into becoming my familiar by saying I would become theirs and then boss them around though. Or I would dope them up on fairy dust and make them my slave. Hehehe... What? Why are you looking at me like that? I am an old-style fairy. They aren't typically known for being good. >:3

Edited by KilloZapit

Well, she is bossing him around the minute she becomes his familiar. But I guess Meera would be against slavery. :P

Edited by Nirwanda

Really the word "slave" isn't quite right. It's more like "plaything". Slave implies they would be left with too much freedom. A man chooses, a slave obeys, a plaything just is played with. :P

Edited by KilloZapit

Hehehe... Be careful or I might come for you next... Laughlyn. :P

Why do you call it that anyway? Maybe you should think of another title that fits the same theme?

Edited by KilloZapit

Because it happens in a forest that no one has ever succesfully explored. In the maps there is a huge blank spot surrounding it, so I thought edge of the world was a fitting name for it. Originally it was called "A villain's day off" but I thought it was too goofy. I really like the name, too, so I will think twice before changing it, even if it bothers me that it's not as original as I first thought. (as long as the original author doesn't sue me! D:)

I really like the idea of you being a villain who fights on the good side.  I can't say I'm a big fan of the default-esk characters though.  I do like the name.  This looks like it could be really interesting, I'll keep an eye on it!

Thanks for taking an interest in my game. Since it was for a contest I couldn't just look for any sprite edit (since using resources for a contest is considered "commercial use") so I was content to use the rtp. Now is a little too late to change something as important as the main characters.

I'm glad you approve of the rest. :)