Tile Swap

Author: Tsukihime

tileSwap1.jpg

Overview

This script allows you to easily change tiles on the map.

Download

Get it at Hime Works!

Tutorial: Easy Tile Swapping. I would recommend reading this to see how this script works.

Examples:

Making a bridge

A crack in the wall

Credits

KilloZapit, for providing the code for auto-tile generation.

Usage

There are three types of tile swaps

1. Change by tile id

-All tiles on the map with the specified ID will be changed to a new tile

tile_swap(old_tileID, new_tileID, layer, map_id)
2. Change by region id

-All tiles that are covered by the specified region ID will be changed to a new tile

region_swap(regionID, tileID, layer, map_id)
3. Change by position

-The tile at the specified position will be changed to a new tile

pos_swap(x, y, tileID, layer, map_id)]
You can undo changes by using the following calls 

tile_revert(tid, layer, map_id)
pos_revert(x, y, tid, layer, map_id)
region_revert(rid, layer, map_id)
revert_all
For performance reasons, you should avoid swapping tiles by ID. It goes through every tile on the map to see if it needs to be changed, and if you have a large map, it will take some time to perform. This is meant for large-scale tile swaps where it is unfeasible to specify using regions or positions.

It is recommended that you stick with region tile swapping and position tile swapping.

Understanding tiles

This script uses the concept of a "tile ID", which is a special string

that represents a particular tile on your tileset.

The format of this tile ID is a letter, followed by a number.

The letters available are based on the tileset names

A, B, C, D, E

The number represents the ID of the tile.

So for example, "A3" would be the the third tile in tileset A, whereas

"B12" would be the 12th tile of tileset B.

An example usage would be

tile_swap("A9", "A1", 0)
Which will swap all "A9" tiles on layer 0 with "A1" tiles. As usual, because I did not pass in a map ID, it is assumed to be the current map. Please check the new script call format for details.

It is very easy to look up the appropriate ID: just look at your tileset and number the top-left tile as 1. Then, numbering left-to-right, top-to-bottom, you would get something like this

tileSwapGuide.jpg

For tileset A, it is a little different. This is assuming you have all 5 parts in tileset A.

You will need to skip over any missing pieces appropriately if you do not have all 5 parts.

To avoid all this unnecessary math, simply fill up the empty slots with dummy tilesets to make things easier.

Edited by Tsukihime

It took me a while to understand SwapXT, how similar to that is this? How about user friendliness? Does it do less/more than SwapXT Did?

Also, with the ability to switch tiles based on the tileset available in maps now(Default in ACE), do you feel that this is still necessary? I can see how it would be necessary if like, a crazy event happened and it changed everything, then you'd have maybe a lava/burning-esque tileset requirement, but other than that..?

Thanks.

Edited by Shablo5

These are just in-game script calls. You have to understand how the tilesets are put together (see images), but other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

I'm not sure how swapXT works.

Edited by Tsukihime

Cool! Can someone change it into animated tiles script? So we can set "animation array" of tile ids? This way we could make animated tiles without wasting characters (and since characters support either 3 or 4 frames per animation, depending if you use rotations or "normal" static animations we would have more frames of animation) and events. We just could place tile on map and script would do the rest.

Config would be like this:

Anim1 = {5,3,4,6,7,3}
Anim2 = {8,7,3,7,5,3}
anims = {Anim1, Anim2} # array of animation arrays
animsets = {"C","E"} #arrays of tileset letters for specified animations. If invalid (must be "A" to "E") or missing, E is assumed

I remember seeing some auto-tile code in a random dungeon generator, but I couldn't figure out the pattern. It was a massive set of conditions to determine exactly which ones to use lol

I'm guessing you figured out something while doing your own dungeon generator?

Great useful script.  Helps me get around some of the limitations of a script for mode 7 that I'm using.  Although I have noticed some errors in how your script handles tiles with transparency, (layer 2, b-set), I've tried it with the mode 7 script disabled, so I'm certain it's not the problem.

The image I'm using for examples for this post are on Google docs, so the links are to the images.

This image is after a swap has been done on a layer 2 tile, I intentionally chose a tile that has lots of transparency to better show what happens. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-UFkq51k1uIZl9lMy1vRGt0dE0/edit

In the following two images, I made it so that the normal "unswapped" tile was the broken bridge and the swapped it with the unbroken bridge. (The tint in the before image is from a simple event-based day/night algorithm.)

Before: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-UFkq51k1uIYnVqa212MElndjA/edit

After: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-UFkq51k1uIaEZ2QW9LVmEzZXc/edit

JIC, this is the script as I'm calling it:    pos_swap(111, 53, 104, 2, 6, 12)

Unfortunately my skill at coding is at a very Basic level (both literally and figuratively), so it's beyond me to be able to even begin to suggest how to fix this. But aside from these little issues, this script is pretty awesome.

EDIT:

BTW, the first part is because I tried removing the layer 2 tile altogether and using an initial autorun event located on the same map as the player start to put in the broken bridge.  That way I could use a later event to again call your script to remove the tile of the broken bridge and the call the script again to insert the tile of the intact bridge.

Edited by goshisanniichi

I have updated the script with auto-tile updating based on killozapit's auto-tile generation code.

Now it looks a lot better.

tileSwap1.jpg

Currently, it simply checks every tile, but that is unnecessary. It would be better to simply check any changes tiles, and any adjacent tiles to those changes tiles, because changing a single tile will only affect at most one direction of an adjacent tile.

I will be revising the script usage and try to make it easier to use.

Edited by Tsukihime

I have revised the entire script.

Please be aware of the following changes.

The changes were made in order to increase user-friendliness of the script.

1. The input tile ID is now a string composed of two pieces of information: the tileset as a letter, and the ID as a number.

"A7" would be the 7th tile in tileset A

"B2" would be the 2nd tile in tileset B

"C4" would be the 4th tile in tileset C

An example usage would be

tile_swap("A9", "A1", 0)

Which will swap all "A9" tiles on layer 0 with "A1" tiles. As usual, because I did not pass in a map ID, it is assumed to be the current map. Please check the new script call format for details.

2. It is very easy to look up the appropriate ID: just look at your tileset and number the top-left tile as 1. Then, numbering left-to-right, top-to-bottom, you would get something like this

tileSwapGuide.jpg

For tileset A, it is a little different. This is assuming you have all 5 parts in tileset A.

You will need to skip over any missing pieces appropriately if you do not have all 5 parts.

A1 starts at 0 and goes to 15

A2 starts at 16 and goes to 47

A3 starts at 48 and goes to 79

A4 starts at 80 and goes to 119

A5 starts at 120 and goes down to the last number

To avoid all this unnecessary math, simply fill up the empty slots with dummy tilesets to make things easier.

Edited by Tsukihime

I'm trying to use Tile Swapping to make a sokoban game. (Rules of Sokoban is posted last). 

What I am attempting:
Using Tsukihime's Tile Swap to make a Sokoban game. 

1) Player uses Choices, they can move box anywheres they like, which is not what I want. I know I have to use player variables some how, but am not connecting with how to do that. 

When[LEFT]
Script: pos_swap(042, 025, "B118", 1)
      : pos_swap(043, 025, "A157", 2)

When [RIGHT] // etc. 

// includes UP and DOWN, with pos_swap.

Original question solved --> FYI: using Get Location Info in Ace, does not give a good location of where spot on map is. Its off by quite a bit. LOL This was why code wasn't working at all.
If I delete that Get Location Info code, then I can get the box to move. With it in, it doesn't work. 

Thanks! 

Sokoban rules: Player can push but not pull box. Box is to be pushed to marked spot. In my case, its the purple tiles with the black background. 
Edited by Velvela Jade

I am not sure what the issue might be but firstly 058 is not the same as 58. Ruby treats them as two different types of numbers (octal vs decimal), and octals go from 0 to 7, which is why 058 gives that error.

Correct the numbers and see if that will help.

Edited by Tsukihime

Tsukihime said: I am not sure what the issue might be but firstly 058 is not the same as 58. Ruby treats them as two different types of numbers (octal vs decimal), and octals go from 0 to 7, which is why 058 gives that error.

Correct the numbers and see if that will help.

I was using the number that "Get Location Info" game me, and it gave me 054. To get box to move from 054, 032 to 054, 033, I have to use decimal, or the box won't move. (It actually gives a number that is 8 tiles to the left and 5 tiles up from where mouse actually chose.)

1) Solution: To get the player to not be able to pull the box, but instead only be able to push the box, I found this option:

Conditional Branch: Player is Facing Down (or facing in which ever way box is too be pushed).

That solves the issue.

FYI: Sokoban is a game where the player attempts to move boxes through a series of challenges in order to get them in "storage". They have walls in the way, hallways that boxes can't go down, and other boxes in a the way. And, they only allow the player to push a box. There is no do over if you push a box into a dead end. You can't pull the box. If you have never played Sokoban, then this may be confusing.  :lol:

Question: What script do I use to prevent Box (tile B118) from being moved to a spot where another Box already exists? Thanks!

(using chrome and apparently, it adds crap html to posts and bans smilies! Chrome is bleeping stupid! I deleted all the crap, but can't guarantee it will stay gone. )

Picture: 

post-9628-0-13675900-1362448919_thumb.png

Edited by Velvela Jade

If you're using events to move the boxes you can always check whether there is already an event at the destination.

It would probably be better if you made a separate thread for figuring out how to implement your system since most of it is not really related to tile swapping.

Edited by Tsukihime

I have been doing everything exactly as followed and properly but when I trigger the event I just get an error like unknown method "region_swap"?
Im quite new at most of this, so please can somebody help me understand why I get this error ?

Okay well I just pasted it under materials and above main, but now when I try to test it it wont load at all and will give me another error. 
is there a certain way it should look when pasted in? Or how should I have it?
I know I'm probably a hassle but I really need to learn how to do this :P

Tsukihime,

I love your script but I am having some issues with it.  I am trying to make food appear on a table, using the default interior tileset.

Right now, my script reads like this:

pos_swap(20, 11, "C38", 2)

C38 should correspond to a birthday cake, but I instead get the tile from B38 every time (the top half of a little window).  Any idea what might cause this?

Looks like I only wrote the calculations for the A page, and didn't do anything about B C D or E.

So when you wrote 38, it wasn't offset appropriately depending on the page, and 38 is located on page B.

I have updated the script to address the bug.

Thanks for the report.

Edited by Tsukihime