D0yOxPk.png

+death is just the beginning+

+Genre+

Fantasy Real-Time RPG

+Game Progress+

Story: 100% (Planned in detail, In-Game: 15%)
Maps: 30%
Database: 60%
Music: 0% (Looking for a composer)
Art: WIP (Looking to hire for enemy sprite art)

I'm currently using RPG Maker MV mash ups w/minor edits and edited battle sprites x.x

+Updates+

Please check the DevLog for updates!

(I try to update at least weekly if not more frequent)

Demo V.1 Release Date: 7.20.16

- Updated: 7.23.16 - Download below

Demo V.2 Release Date: TBA

+Story+

The world of Perception was once three seperate Planes of Existence: Nirvana, Damnation, and the world of humans (the living). When Lucifiel betrayed God (or so the stoy goes...), he began to form his army for the day when the seal seperating the worlds would be broken. When this occured, the worlds formed a mishmash of each other called Perception, kind of like a limbo.

God had a protector named the Valkyrie and under her the Four ArchAngels, but most of them have disappeared or resorted to the demons' side. Also missing is the Valkyrie's weapon and the key to binding the seal again: the Lance of Longinus.

The merging of worlds has left many in confusion. The geography of the world completely changed. Races have gone extinct and new ones, like the dangerous anamoly of Witches, has emerged. Other remaining Races like the Drag-Ons, Reapers, Kitsune, Aurochs...were all thrown into chaos.

Not only that, but Lucifiel and the 3 ArchDemons are planning an assault on Perception.

In Eve of Perception, you play as Matthew, a young man who fell from the sky. He stumbles into two Marines (Jou and Alec) who have just fled from a massacre of a battlefield.

Unconscious, the soldiers take Matthew to a nearby village and the orphanage within in hopes he lives through the night.

Jou has her own problems as the monster that slaughtered her troop is still in the forest, blocking the only way home, and it seems their mission, to find a group of renegades called the Eight-Span Crows, has failed.

Matthew awakes with little memory, but knows that his sister is in danger and vows to find her. Jou tells Matthew of an Agency in her hometown that can help him locate his missing sister, and they join forces. Things become complicated when one of the orphans goes to fight the monster in the forest himself...

+ Main Characters+

(Face sprites are only placeholders.. plan to change these, with expressions, soon)

Matthew

2oucQPH.png

Weapon: Lances

Element: Unknown

Race: Human (?)

Personality: Matthew is quiet and a little aloof, but he mostly just goes along with what everyone else wants.

His main concern is finding his sister as he knows she's in danger, but a mysterious woman calls out to him...

Jou

pzyxzk1.png

Weapon: Bow/Arrows

Element: Lifamancy (White Magic, in lament terms)

Race: Human

Personality: Jou is one of the ArchAngel Sandalphon's Marines, and their Commander. She takes her job very seriously and has an equal enthusiasm for helping and protecting others.

Shindo

hOTq8XQ.png

Weapon: Glocks

Element: Hydramancy (Water/Ice)

Race: Angel (although, her wings are undersized and useless)

Personality: Good hearted, but with a short temper. If she really dislikes something she can be a bit cold. Shindo is part of the Reaper's renegade group, the Eight-Span Crows. She seeks out people in her past life, even though it's typically a taboo thing to do. Namely this may dredge up things she's never learned to deal with.

Pirro:

vsDfrTX.png

Weapon: TBA

Element: Geomancy (Earth/Wind)

Personality: A laid back traveling merchant. He meets the group as they try to sneak into Sandalphon's castle. Pirro has a love for food and the beautiful Princess Meru. He is that best friend that is always there for you... or is he?

Meloni:

L0Ne8dG.png

Weapon: Sword

Element: Pyromancy (Fire)

Race: ArchAngel

Personality: Meloni is actually the ArchAngel Sandalphon, reincarnated. He carries his sense of justice from being a cop into his newfound afterlife. He was once Shindo's adoptive father. Meloni is like a mentor and can be overly cautious, but he will go beyond the Law to acheive what he feels is just.

Angel:

m24hqQQ.png

Weapon: Staffs

Element: Lifamancy

Race: Angel

Personality: Angel is generally a bubbly girl who loves anything pink. She is super opinionated and spends her free time defending and harboring Witches. She was once lovers with Shindo before her death.

Scott:

dNltcsF.png

Weapon: Knives

Element: Hydramancy / Necromancy

Race: Angel (bordering on Fallen/Demonic)

Personality: Scott was a serial killer in his past life and spends his days atoning by moping around his home of eternal rain in Adelphos, until the group finds him. He is Meloni's sworn rival and Shindo's older brother. When he isn't singing, he's usually being rude or womanizing to others.

Meru:

HPXXp19.png

Weapon: Rods

Element: Fulmancy (Lightning)

Race: Witch (?)

Personality: Meru appears to be a spoiled person, but in reality she's very self-conscious. She loves attention and money, but she also cares deeply for those around her. She rules the Dome Kingdom, but at what price...?

Duckie:

wFxPFZs.png

Weapon: Cards

Element: Pyromancy / Necromancy (later: Pyromancy / Lifamancy)

Race: Human (?)

Personality: Duckie is Matthew's little sister, but she's anything but little. She has a tsundere personality (hotheaded) and wants nothing more than to be accepted as the adult she thinks she is. Where has she been all this time, and why?

Dream:

XBXqOsP.png

Weapon: Scythe

Element: Necromancy

Race: Reaper

Personality: Dream is of the Reaper race. He can transform between human, crow, and a large black bird, the size of a dragon. He is the leader of the Eight-Span Crows and will do anything to avenge the death of his family and destruction of his village at the hands of a Witch. He can be a bit judgemental in this regard and rarely shows emotion.

Star:

ItKwZD0.png

Weapon: Claws

Element: Fulmancy / Geomancy

Race: Drag-On

Personality: Star is chipper, spunky, and always on the look out for the love of her life. Not just because she was jipped in her past life, not because it's her only dream, but because she is next in line to help the near-extinct race of Drag-Ons. She's very dependable and will cheer someone up when their down. She's also easily excited.

Edgar

i8RtqTM.png

Weapon: Fishing Rod

Element: Chronomancy (Time Magic)

Personality: Edgar is a strange man that appears in many towns. If he is seeked out, one may gain access to a secret character for New Game+. Edgar is obscessed with everything Fishing and Clocks, but he may also have another, very important peice of the puzzle in regards to Perception's future and whether or not the group is truly doing what is right. He is laid back, but vigilant in seeking out the truth. What is Edgar's true purpose? Who is his missing friend?

??? (New Game + Exclusive)

JPvkwPm.png

Weapon Secret

Element: Chronomancy

Personality: Secret

+Supporting Cast+

Alec

frEKFyS.png

Weapon: Schringe

Element: Hydramancy -> Necromancy

Race: Fallen

Personality: Alec starts off fairly aloof, but people like Jou just thought he acted that way for attention. There's something he's upset about,

but what would make him turn to the side of the enemy? He's quick to act in his own interests.

Ketal

[Picture Coming Soon]

Element: TBA

Personality: Ketal is a child who lost his parents to the war. He has since sworn to see to Jou's death at his hands

and doesn't hesitate to join Alec... or is he being brainwashed? Either way, this stubborn and one-track-mind young man

is wrapped up in things bigger than his own personal vendetta.

Andrea

[Picture Coming Soon]

Element: Holymancy / Geomancy

Race: Angelic

Personality: Andrea is a gentle woman who only wants to see everyone happy. Her husband is

her entire world and her herb shop backs up to Sandalphon's Castle. She pleads with Matthew and

the others to go get the rare herb, Athelas, to cure her husband's illness.

+Battle+

Battles use MogHunter's (and Tales Studio's) LMBS real time battle system (beta). There are 2 types of battle Skills: Aura and Techs, depending on the user. Mostly these are the same, with some variation as Aura is more magic based and Techs more physical.

Battles have Ground and Aerial moves.

The player controls one of 3 characters on the field in a linear line against enemy monsters.

Players can Equip Skills and use Items mid-battle.

Later in the game, elemental resistance/weakness will be a huge thing to pay attention to. Crafting good equiptment / affording good accessories will be a necessity.

+Features+

+ MogHunter's LMBS beta battle system!

+ Mack sprites! (I love the tall sprites and even NPCs, ect. Will have them)

+ Affection Points (AP) effect many of numerous mini-endings in the game (and character pairings) ala Star Ocean or Tales series. The main way you gain AP is through CONVOs, which appear when prompted. They are similar to Private Actions / Skits. You can skip them if you like!

+ Special choices in game affect AP, items, skills, endings, and more~

+In-depth creation system allows for many different ways to make items, weapons, armor, accessories, food, and even skills!

+ Unique skills include Cooking, Weapon/Armor making, Pickpocket, and more.

+Fishing mini-game evented

+Gain EXP through battles, dilligent searching of areas

+No random battles; enemies are on-screen! They only respawn when you leave a map.

+Searching for things pays off... you may learn more about the world through NPCs and books, unlock sidequests, gain exclusive or early items, or even EXP.

+ 13 Recruitable Characters (12 and 1 New Game+)

+ NPCs with meaningful/humerous dialog, some reoccuring for special events! Text changes after big events plot-wise.

+ Custom graphics (for the most part)

+ Detailed sprites with special event movements (planned, you can see I've started this in the screenshots)

+Ambient noise brings rooms/areas to life

+ Battle Arena (planned)

+ No overworld map. Backtracking averted with teleportation device.

+ Villian isn't just evil-- he has a reason for doing what he does. I just can't spoil it here.

+ Enemies detect you when you reach their eyesight range!

+ Interactive environments involve puzzles, jumping, and climbing, as well as a close eye

+Screenies (Screenshots)+

(image heavy)

*Screenshots showing RTP characters are out of date, but most are updated to the current build

y1e7d7U.png

3lEIvff.png

CrHup0N.png

*Woops, please ignore my media player lol

tBvkfIa.png

Qg2hdBL.png

w7ZKwSi.png

V2n4a51.png

YIki19A.png

0tQJ7WO.png

WeUzosd.png

*Just a note about this particular shot.. the water has a special effect and it's not this bright at all. There's a lot of overlaying here that doesn't occur in-game as well.

Fxju9pO.png

*A WIP map

RiiOFHa.png

wZUjW5g.png

+Other+

This has been a long time project of mine. I started with RPG Maker 2K3 and have worked with the maker since.

This game is based on a novel I started a decade ago. The plot is completely planned out with extensive backstories for everyone.

I know it's an ambitious project. I know it's gonna take a year or so, which is why I'm pacing myself and leaning on the support of age-old friends ^^;

My main influences are Star Ocean and the Lunar series, so expect something similar to those titles. ^^

I really hope you enjoy and support my project! Thanks to Mog's RTBS I can finally have the game I've dreamed of making!

If you have any feedback or comments or want to apply for beta testing demos, leave me a comment or shoot me a message!! :D

+Hiring+

Note for all positions: If you can work with a payment plan, I'm interested! All credit will be given and at least 50% payment upfront. If you're really gracious and work for free, you'll be given special thanks and included as an NPC in my game. ^^

Composer / Music: Looking for someone to compose all the music for my game ^^;

Sprite Artist: Someone who can work based on my designs to make the in-game sprites, battle sprites, and enemy battle sprites.

Voice Actors: This will be late, late in the project, but I need people to voice my main characters, namely for battle stuff.

+Credit+

LMBS system: MogHunter

Map Screenshot: Huddel

Simple Followers: Karberus

Fog/Overlay: Victor (VE)

Smart Jump: Yanfly

Item Pop Up: Mr. TS

Monster Book: Yoji Ojima

Load Option in Menu / Ultimate Title Screen: Soulpour

Reflections : PrimeHover

Extra Tilesets: Panda Maru, Celianna, and Cyanide

Sprites: Mack (using his Generator)

Additional Music: Eric Matyas

+Demo+

V 1.2 (Windows) *most recent version* - Download Here

V.1 (Windows) - Download Here

V 1.2 (Mac OS) *most recent version*  - Download Here

V.1 (Web Browser) -

TBA

+Known Bugs and Issues+

As of the most recent update, these are the known bugs:

Battles Crash - Battles crash due to "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'width' of null" sometimes. I found I was more likely to trigger this by rushing into battle as soon as it opens. Fix: Wait a few seconds and then proceed to hopefully avoid this glitch. I'll report it to Mog in the future, but I don't know if he/she plans on any updates to this battle system.

Passive Skills can be Equipped?! - Please don't equip Passive Skills (IE: Cooking, Fishing). I'm not sure how to fix this using Mog's system. All they do is take up a much needed slot in your menu...

Voices - The voices are what Mog included with the battle system demo. I tried turning them off and it would consistently crash the game. Therefore, I have to leave them in.
Fix: In the future, I will have voiced cutscenes and battle voice clips. Please be patient until this is implemented!

Text Run Off - The reason this demo was delayed so long was because I had to go back and shorten text. There may still exist some run off (and I know there is a lot of it in the bookshelves as I just didn't have time and felt it wasn't worth delaying the release of V.1 anymore...), but if you find any that is on an item, NPC, or in the main conversation, please report it below.

+Support+

MLH0kj5.png

Please use the banner above to support Eve of Perception!

You can also donate towards not only this game, but other projects (as a collective) at our

Patreon!

Mods, if there's anything that needs to be added/changed (I think I didn't leave anything out... o.o ), just let me know and I'll get right on it. I updated the tag; I hope that was the right thing to do. ^_^

Edited by 2BitsLP

Updates:
+ Added Supporting Cast
+ Updated Screenshots
+ Updated some character graphics
+ Updated Story Summary
+ Updated Features
+ Demo V.1 will be out on 7.7.16, around 30 minutes long

Edited by Aya_Vectra

Not sure what the problem is, since it works fine on my end... I even tried it on my wife's old PC and it ran fine. :( I'll reupload it just in case. I'll PM you when its up... otherwise I have no idea why it won't work.

Edited by 2BitsLP

PM'd you. Let me know how it goes... :/

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, or knows how to solve it, please let me know.

When I moved it over to drop box it was missing a few folders. Everything should be corrected now. Also, should be uploading Mac version soon.

Edited by 2BitsLP

I've collected some bugs in the demo, after I list the bugs I'll make a review!

Low priority

The fireplace in the church has no pause when it hurts you, I went up to examine it and I lost a majority of my health in 2 seconds

Mathew's battler is naked except for a cloak

Cassie's (The little girl in the house on the top right of the town) mom's sprite has a small clipping issue when she turns left.

Also in the top right area, above the bar, there is to trees placed on the same tile that looks odd.

When first exiting the church, when Ketal asks how to join the corps, and he storms off, he goes right through you

You can walk over scarecrows

Medium priority

The mood bubbles are always unaligned, never actually on the person. in one case, it was actually on the far right of the screen with the person on the left.

You can save whenever you want in the menu even though you're supposed to use save points

Can walk through benches, flowers, and the statue in the church

High priority

During battle, the small blessing healed me, not my MP

The on map enemies that are supposed to start battles are on player touch, not event touch, meaning if you stood still, they wouldn't do anything.

Review

This game has major potential to be something great. I love the battle system, though I would make finding a way to remove the voices top priority

The spritework is good to, and the face sprites range from great to bad. For example, I love Mathew's face sprite, but Alec's is subpar.

This is killing me, IS THE CAT DEAD?!

At some points in the game, the constant cutscenes become a bit tiresome.

Try to add more of an exploration aspect, it's all a bit too linear. I know you probably tried doing that with the forest, but it didn't really work out.

You did a good job of explaining the world subtly without going straight to exposition.

You created a lively environment with many interactions in the town, helped take away from the linearness.

Most characters are well developed, but some conversations feel a bit forced

Ketal is not a good character in most respects. It seemed like you were supposed to feel sorry for him, but he just seems annoying.

The mapping is good.

The eventing is spot on, I love the cutscenes, even with how many there are.

Overall, a good demo for what I hope is an excellent game.

Story:  â˜…★★★☆

Eventing: â˜…★★★☆

Combat: â˜…★★★★

Writing: â˜…★★☆☆

Characters: â˜…★★☆☆

Overall: â˜…★★★☆

I look forward to the full game!

Thank you for the fast reply! :)

I responded to your statements here:

The fireplace in the church has no pause when it hurts you, I went up to examine it and I lost a majority of my health in 2 seconds

Pause? So you mean like a wait command? Maybe I can have the Player auto step back.

Mathew's battler is naked except for a cloak

That's intentional.

Cassie's (The little girl in the house on the top right of the town) mom's sprite has a small clipping issue when she turns left.

and

Also in the top right area, above the bar, there is to trees placed on the same tile that looks odd.

and

Can walk through benches, flowers, and the statue in the church

I'll look into these.

When first exiting the church, when Ketal asks how to join the corps, and he storms off, he goes right through you.

You can walk over scarecrows.

Oops! I'll fix that.

The mood bubbles are always unaligned, never actually on the person. in one case, it was actually on the far right of the screen with the person on the left.

Not sure why they are misaligned... I wouldn't know where to begin on how to fix them as they are default.

You can save whenever you want in the menu even though you're supposed to use save points

This is intentional because this game is in beta and can freeze often. In the final game it will be save point only.

During battle, the small blessing healed me, not my MP

That was a text error (I just fixed it). Blessings heal HP. When you find Prayers, they heal MP.

The on map enemies that are supposed to start battles are on player touch, not event touch, meaning if you stood still, they wouldn't do anything.

Ah, so that was the issue. I'll fix this promptly. Thank you!

This game has major potential to be something great. I love the battle system, though I would make finding a way to remove the voices top priority.

I wish I could. There's an off switch in the plug-in but it crashes my game. I might be able to replace them with no sound, I'll look into it. Unfortunetly, its not something I can fix for now. Later on, there will be original acting. I may ask Mog if he can put a switch to turn them on/off in-game.

The spritework is good to, and the face sprites range from great to bad. For example, I love Mathew's face sprite, but Alec's is subpar.

Do you mean the face plates or the sprites themselves? The sprites are Mack sprites. As for the Faceplates, they are temporary. I plan to add expressions, ect. later and the face plates are difficult to draw. I would like to go back and improve them.

This is killing me, IS THE CAT DEAD?!

If you fed him, he appears later. If you didn't feed him, then all you missed is an item. :)

At some points in the game, the constant cutscenes become a bit tiresome.

I'm assuming this was a first impression? You contradict yourself later. It is cutscene heavy, but it's also only the first part. This is also a character/story driven game.

Try to add more of an exploration aspect, it's all a bit too linear. I know you probably tried doing that with the forest, but it didn't really work out.

Unfortunetly it is a pretty linear game. It opens up after the first major city, though.

You created a lively environment with many interactions in the town, helped take away from the linearness.

That's good! I'm hoping for this to be more open later on.

Most characters are well developed, but some conversations feel a bit forced.

Can you PM / message me the specific ones? I would like to work on them.

Ketal is not a good character in most respects. It seemed like you were supposed to feel sorry for him, but he just seems annoying.

Yeah, you're not really supposed to feel for him, so you're spot on!

The eventing is spot on, I love the cutscenes, even with how many there are.

Thank you! They won't be as long later on in the game. I was worried about that, so I'm relieved that it works okay.

I really, really appreciate the feedback. I'll fix the minor graphical issues and I'll try and work on balancing cutscenes. :) I'll PM you when Demo V.2 is out~

EDIT:

I fixed the following and the V1.2 Demo reflects these changes:
Fire should now hurt, then repel you
Tree above bar fixed
Ketal's walking path should be fixed outside Church
Graphics you could walk over are now fixed (except benches, they are set to O)
Fixed issue in text regarding Small Blessing
Enemies set to Event Touch, should battle properly now

Edited by 2BitsLP