Greetings everyone !

The matter of this topic is that , I've been recently giving myself to parallax mapping . 

As it may be a little hard to render , I do consent that gives out a lot more smoothly .

So here are my two questions :

First : Would you still play a game and think it is good-looking even though it isn't parallax mapping ( imagining that the creator of the video game still spent a lot of time making those maps so they would look attractive anyway.)

Second : Here is my two very first mapping , therefore I wish for your opinions and advices . Please , keep in mind that these are first attempts .

(Normally , there are also little fairy-like particles that are smoothly flickering to give some depth but I could not include them .)

[The first map (entitled "Chrysalum Cove") is meant to be a gloomy and remote cove/cave that yet inspires enchantement and captivation. I do not have much story about it yet but it is supposed to keep hidden a ressourceful slash ancient tree .

The second one [no name yet] is meant to be a nature , ancient-looking forest slash ruin's entrance . ]

• EDIT : I just noticed that there is a blue-shaded square near the lower part of the first  map , please do not mind it . I do not even know why it is even here since it isn't on the original file .

I am looking forward for your replies ! 

Thank you .

post-57562-0-77251800-1466063185_thumb.png

post-57562-0-22175000-1466090399_thumb.png

Edited by Wisteriacutie

I don't know how to give a critique but I can only say that

It's really awesome, it's too beautiful to actually find some bad side to it -_-

Yep, I would totally still play a game even if it doesn't have parallax mapping.

Whoa, that's one awesome map! Those yellow lights really make the whole thing feel mystical. One thing I find a bit odd is the giant tree's shadow. Have you tried not using the shadow at all? It might look better without it. Also, there's a tile that you probably missed on the upper right corner of the map. It's one of the tiles that delineates between the cliff and the top.

I agree about the tree's shadow. The area around the tree is lit up, but the shadow is coming out as if the light was behind the tree with makes little sense.

The map looks wonderful, but just from looking at it, I can tell it'll be a hassle to walk around. It's hard to tell exactly where there are little edges and whats a walkable pathway (I mostly mean towards the small cliff edges)

I mean, where does the player enter? The hole on the right? In that case, how do you walk around if there is a small cliff, unless there is a climb/jump/swim mechanic to let you go down.

If this is a cut-scene room where the player doesn't walk around, then that's fine, but it seems mobility is a little crammed.

Also with so many lights around, there should be more shadows I feel (unless the roof area is open and it's not a cave area) in the corners and such, such as the top right where there isn't really any light.

Overall though, it's a really pretty map and would be a nice place to visit in-game :D especially if there are slight movements of particles and such (such as the light flowers pollen floating around slightly)

I don't know how to give a critique but I can only say that
It's really awesome, it's too beautiful to actually find some bad side to it -_-

So sweet of you !
I'm very pleased and grateful !

@SECOND POST Posted 8 minutes later

I agree about the tree's shadow. The area around the tree is lit up, but the shadow is coming out as if the light was behind the tree with makes little sense.

The map looks wonderful, but just from looking at it, I can tell it'll be a hassle to walk around. It's hard to tell exactly where there are little edges and whats a walkable pathway (I mostly mean towards the small cliff edges)
I mean, where does the player enter? The hole on the right? In that case, how do you walk around if there is a small cliff, unless there is a climb/jump/swim mechanic to let you go down.
If this is a cut-scene room where the player doesn't walk around, then that's fine, but it seems mobility is a little crammed.

Also with so many lights around, there should be more shadows I feel (unless the roof area is open and it's not a cave area) in the corners and such, such as the top right where there isn't really any light.

Overall though, it's a really pretty map and would be a nice place to visit in-game :D especially if there are slight movements of particles and such (such as the light flowers pollen floating around slightly)

Thanks for the tips ! :) I greatly appreaciate it .

But just to answer , actually the entrance comes from the lower part of the map (where there is the vivid light that show a hole in which the outside's sunrays are sipping in.)
Concerning the tree, without the shadow , it looks little natural . I have positioned it this way for a simple reason that may go quite unseen is that i have made some light shining from behind the tree therefore that's why , if you look at it very(x50) closely , there is a faint halo around its edge .
For the rest of the shadows , well ... i'm not really proficient in the matter yet , haha . But since the game will use Khas light effect , it will go pretty unseen .
Now for the walking space , it actually isn't a problem at all , it's very smooth since (as you apparently assumed rightly ) the player can jump and swim in the lake .

So anyway , I'm very thankful to you and "Magic 2345" for considering my mapping and for sharing out your opinions !
(Also , I just uploaded a second mapping , i may sound a little impertinent for asking this but , feel free to put an opinion on that one too !) Edited by Rikifive
Merged Double Post ~Riki

I saw the new map when I opened the topic again actually :D

2 mistakes I've saw are;

- The spiky upward tree on the top left is slightly tucked behind the stone beside it and it looks strange.

- The cliff on the right side's ledge (next to the stairs) it's straight, but the cliff shows it's curving so it looks kinda weird. Is it supposed to turn with the cliff?

Overall, the second map looks really, really nice. The light overlay really adds to it too.

Does the water animate, or is that drawn on?

Dang, you're really good at this. XD

For the second one, the only thing that kinda irks me is probably.....the placement of that cave. Since it's the only thing not aligned hahah. Other than that it's another awesome map!

I saw the new map when I opened the topic again actually :D

2 mistakes I've saw are;

- The spiky upward tree on the top left is slightly tucked behind the stone beside it and it looks strange.

- The cliff on the right side's ledge (next to the stairs) it's straight, but the cliff shows it's curving so it looks kinda weird. Is it supposed to turn with the cliff?

Overall, the second map looks really, really nice. The light overlay really adds to it too.

Does the water animate, or is that drawn on?

Haha actually it is not the tree , it is a just a big tree root growing from above and going down into the ground . (If it was what you meant.)

And thanks for making me notice the cliff's edge ! I could not even notice until now !

Thank you very much !

(And yes , the water is animated , normally there is a top half-transparent blue layer that slightly waves and beneater , on the ground there are two pictures of water pattern that move creating an effect of moving water ^^ .

Dang, you're really good at this. XD

For the second one, the only thing that kinda irks me is probably.....the placement of that cave. Since it's the only thing not aligned hahah. Other than that it's another awesome map!

Sweet little you !

Thank you !

And yes , I do admit it look extremely weird , I wasn't really comfortable with it either , but ... I didn't really know what to implement instead of it yet . 

Just have to wait for an idea and for the storyline to be full developed :) !

Haha, I mean the spiky upward tree next to the glow blue stone fence just ontop of the cliff on the left. It's leaves seem to be behind the stone and it looks weird and like the layers got mixed up. (I can highlight it if needed)

Though the big root in the top left does look pretty cool :D

I must say though, the soft blue glow-y lights are really pretty - especially the large panel on the ground upstairs. I'd really enjoy wandering these maps~

I must also say, those spiral trees look wonderful. You have a nice clutter ratio in your maps :D

You have a nice clutter ratio in your maps :D

I know right, I can't ever seem to get that right when I parallax. The urge to overclutter is real.

Oh, I just noticed a few weird parts. On the bottom part of the map where the moss ends and the tiles start, there's a part that looks like the moss got cut off. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. And then, to the right of it, there seems to be a hard line between a darker green and a lighter green. You probably accidentally deleted something there.

Edited by magic2345

To answer your question, yes I'd play a game w/out any parallaxing. Even one that didn't look all that great if it was fun to play.  I didn't take too deep of a gander of the screenies (too tired and hungry). At first glance they look amazing. If you're that talented at parallax mapping, that is definitely the route you should go. It will be well worth the extra time and effort when the quality of work is that high. They look like screenshots from a professional game studio. I saw others as well as yourself point out some little errors, but overall...wow... 

Just clean up the little mistakes, and you're golden. Awesome work  :thumbup3:

Edited by lonequeso

Haha, I mean the spiky upward tree next to the glow blue stone fence just ontop of the cliff on the left. It's leaves seem to be behind the stone and it looks weird and like the layers got mixed up. (I can highlight it if needed)
Though the big root in the top left does look pretty cool :D

I must say though, the soft blue glow-y lights are really pretty - especially the large panel on the ground upstairs. I'd really enjoy wandering these maps~
I must also say, those spiral trees look wonderful. You have a nice clutter ratio in your maps :D

Now I do see it . Silly me !
You are right , it looks a little odd , you're pretty sharp-eyed . Thanks for making me notice those little flaws !
And thanks again ! I try my best to please the eyes of the players for my future game ! :)

@SECOND POST Posted 8 minutes later

You have a nice clutter ratio in your maps :D

I know right, I can't ever seem to get that right when I parallax. The urge to overclutter is real.

Oh, I just noticed a few weird parts. On the bottom part of the map where the moss ends and the tiles start, there's a part that looks like the moss got cut off. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. And then, to the right of it, there seems to be a hard line between a darker green and a lighter green. You probably accidentally deleted something there.

As simply as it is to not overclutter , just look at how the nature outside is composed .I actually got my desk near a window that gives out on a bucolic park , so when inspiration is lacking , I just need to look outside :D !

Anyway , please , could you highlight me a bit , I cannot really find this cut off spot that you are talking about :/ .
And yes , it is very likely to be two shades of green , it is because i have first made the grass (a lighter one) and added some darker one a bit everywhere to create some shades . Too bad if it looks a little odd though , haha .
Thank you again !

To answer your question, yes I'd play a game w/out any parallaxing. Even one that didn't look all that great if it was fun to play. I didn't take too deep of a gander of the screenies (too tired and hungry). At first glance they look amazing. If you're that talented at parallax mapping, that is definitely the route you should go. It will be well worth the extra time and effort when the quality of work is that high. They look like screenshots from a professional game studio. I saw others as well as yourself point out some little errors, but overall...wow...

Just clean up the little mistakes, and you're golden. Awesome work :thumbup3:

Aaaww thank you ! I truly am flattered and pleased you think so !
Your comment and all the others motivate me enough to keep doing those mapping and improve myself . Edited by Rikifive
Merged Double Post ~Riki

@Wisteria: Be careful of double posting ;P it's not allowed for spam reasons. If you need to add something, please edit your previous post and add it there :)

@Magic: Oh wow, eagle eye'd chicken :o I never noticed the slight green tone mistake xD

I also gonna comment, I love that stone coming out the ground. It looks really cool xD I assume the red patch is a flower? it's colour is pretty deep so it is pretty dark, but still cool :D

@Wisteriacutie  I have merged your posts. Please avoid double posting unless it's absolutely necessary. Thank you. (=     (COMBO! x2) ^^

If you want to add something to post, use the edit button:

yI9C8Vh.png

Or you can quote multiple people by using 'MutliQuote' button next to the 'Edit' one.

Thank you! =3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) The technique absolutely doesn't matter. There can be a really bad or a really great tile-map, so do the parallax ones. It's more about the skills and such.

2) I'm not Ä…n expert at mapping, but I can tell, that these are wonderful maps ~ extremely detailed with well implemented shading. That's true there are some clashing parts here and there ~ and the 'squareness' is visible, but these are minor issues.

magic2345

What a good observant are you ! I would have never noticed the sharpness of the edge between the light grass and dark one ! Well done !

But for the one in the middle , it's normal it's just to show the edge of the rock path and to show that the grass is gradually growing on top of it . ^^

Takeo212

(My apologies , I have been part of this forum very recently and am very new to it in general ) .

Thank you ! It adds a slight consistency and detail to the map ! :) . (And yes it's a flower , but somehow , it looks darker on the screenshot that it is in the game.)

Rikifive

My apologies Rikifive , I really am new in general to forums . I hope this message won't include any mistake either . I'll try not do it again ! 

Nighthunter226

Oh , do not thank me Nighthunter , I don't think I have been much of help . Haha . Courage for the rest of your parallax mapping , it surely will take some time but it will be efficiently more attractive !

I still think doing parallax mapping this way is kind of a waste. It still looks tile-based to me, maybe with a light script on top of it. Or is it tile based? Anyway, point is, I don't get and have never gotten the point of using gigantic images on a map that you could probably more easily do with a custom tile-set. If you want to make hand drawn backgrounds, that's one thing. But just making a tile map and drawing a few things over it seems like a huge waste of space for me.

Edited by KilloZapit

I still think doing parallax mapping this way is kind of a waste. It still looks tile-based to me, maybe with a light script on top of it. Or is it tile based? Anyway, point is, I don't get and have never gotten the point of using gigantic images on a map that you could probably more easily do with a custom tile-set. If you want to make hand drawn backgrounds, that's one thing. But just making a tile map and drawing a few things over it seems like a huge waste of space for me.

The thing is that this category of parallax mapping is easy , efficient , rapid to do and can be more authentic that doing a simple tileset on the program itself .

Doing a custom tileset takes a tremendous amount of time and I already have to spend a lot of it on mechanics , CG's and characters so I cannot offer my game every single assets .

I do believe that such simple yet thoroughly conceived mapping will still easily teleport the player in to game's world nonetheless .

Also there is no wrong or good manner of doing a mapping as long as it looks aesthetical and remains genuine to the game .

Edited by Wisteria Rosew.

The thing is that this category of parallax mapping is easy , efficient , rapid to do and can be more authentic that doing a simple tileset on the program itself .

Doing a custom tileset takes a tremendous amount of time and I already have to spend a lot of it on mechanics , CG's and characters so I cannot offer my game every single assets .

I do believe that such simple yet thoroughly conceived mapping will still easily teleport the player in to game's world nonetheless .

Also there is no wrong or good manner of doing a mapping as long as it looks aesthetical and remains genuine to the game .

Well I think, in terms of time investment, the tileset vs parallax mapping debate is really a matter of if you want to spend more time to do something you can do once and reuse over and over or spending a bunch of time customizing each individual thing you do. This actually strikes me as a pretty common design design problem really, and one with no real easy answer sometimes. You would think the easy answer would be to do work once even if it takes more time, but it isn't always.

Well I think, in terms of time investment, the tileset vs parallax mapping debate is really a matter of if you want to spend more time to do something you can do once and reuse over and over or spending a bunch of time customizing each individual thing you do. This actually strikes me as a pretty common design design problem really, and one with no real easy answer sometimes. You would think the easy answer would be to do work once even if it takes more time, but it isn't always.

Well again , I have to believe to it is a subjective topic and depends on the manner you invest your time over it .

But again , there is no right or wrong way to do a mapping as long as it emenates a powerful atmospher :) .

Well again , I have to believe to it is a subjective topic and depends on the manner you invest your time over it .

But again , there is no right or wrong way to do a mapping as long as it emenates a powerful atmospher :) .

There can hardly be said to be right or wrong ways of doing anything artistic. :P That doesn't mean methods can't be discussed or suggested though.

That being said, I do wonder how lots of large images effects the RPG Maker VX Ace's engine.