Nyuuchan353

Meta and 4th wall breaking?

What are your thoughts on characters who talk meta (like "here comes a boss!") or a series like disgaea that has fiction-breaking gags? Does it add humor, or does it ruin an experience? General thoughts are welcome on the subject.

Honestly, I find it a bore. Its always the same jokes over and over again.

From a design perspective I also don't think its great; ~"Hey here's some bad idea. I know! Instead of fixing it I'll just address it so everyone knows I'm aware of it. That's totally as good!".

Some people will appreciate it, I'm sure. But they've also got the choice of tonnes of other media with the same content. If you're just going to add to the perpetual echo of "What are monsters doing with money?" you should redirect your efforts.

Honestly, I find it a bore. Its always the same jokes over and over again.

From a design perspective I also don't think its great; ~"Hey here's some bad idea. I know! Instead of fixing it I'll just address it so everyone knows I'm aware of it. That's totally as good!".

Some people will appreciate it, I'm sure. But they've also got the choice of tonnes of other media with the same content. If you're just going to add to the perpetual echo of "What are monsters doing with money?" you should redirect your efforts.

I was just asking in general what people thought.

It heavily depends on the context of the game like South park stick of truth: The game obliterates tropes associated with RPG games (the Canada part was hilarious!). If the game does not have that kind of context the results could vary IMHO.

Deadpool...

My game breaks the forth wall, and has characters that do meta. But there is a cool game out there that is very good. It even makes you think you deleted everything from your save files, it makes you think the console crashed... Watch Watchmojo's video of 4th Wall Breaks in Videogames.

I think it's good. It adds humor,but depends on the way you insert it in the game.

On 6/20/2016 at 6:20 PM, Kirimash said:

Undertale doesn't break the fourth wall.

A good example of 4th wall break is Deadpool's videogame. He write the script for the game, c'mon!

e

Edited by wowflop

Basically I share the opinion of the majority here, I'm usually not a big fan of fourth wall breaking, most of the time it sounds tired and trite. You have to be really clever to pull it off well.

That said, one of my games contain this, so take my word as you will. :P

image.png

It's definitely a risky thing to try and pull off, and a lot of people above me have said the gist of why it can often go badly XD I appreciate casual and brief nods to fourth wall breaking, like Nirwanda's screenie above XD It doesn't necessarily have to be hilarious either, it's just something that is lighthearted and amusing at times. It's only when people start getting super obsessed with it that it loses its frivolity. :<

To add to what Kirimash said, Deadpool, Deadpool, Deadpool. I haven't played the game, but the character itself is a living breathing fourth wall break. Google him if you're not familiar. I like that style just because it's so over the top. I like the really subtle ones, too. Like the PC getting impatient with you if you're idle too long.

I'm referring specifically to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 cuz that's the first one I played where this happened. Sonic would cross his arms and impatiently tap his foot while staring at you. So simple yet so clever.

It is really hard to balance fourth wall breaks. I feel subtlety or maybe sparsity is the best way to go. Too much of it gets old quick unless you're going all out like Deadpool. Both require some cleverness, too or they just seem lame.

The game Ciel nosurge (which I haven't played, just watched YouTube) actually treats the game world as an alternate dimension and the console as a "Skype" through which the player communicates with the main character. Having seen it, I think that fourth wall breaking can be done very well if your world rules state that you're not actually playing a game, you're interacting with another universe. (In fact, the game's worldbuilding describes that world's scientific theory that when we play games, we are always interacting with another reality - I believe this, since I believe in alternate dimensions and that whenever someone creates a story, it manifests as another dimension.)

I haven't played the Disgaea games, but I've heard of them, and I've heard that the character Laharl can jump dimensions, so that may account for the game's fourth-wall jokes.

In conclusion, I think that breaking the fourth wall has the best potential when the player becomes a character in the game, like in Ciel nosurge.

For the most part, I don't mind it.

I think its something that you'd need to control.

For example, throwing a bucket of it into something like call of duty, thats a bit much! 

I think that Pewdiepie game that released recently, I think that does it every time Pewd's says anything.

Maybe using it too much sort of devalues the game?

Like you have an epic story and universe but with so many moments like "This monster dropped gold!?" What do you mean I have a sword+4 attack?" the constant sacrifice of world immersion for a tiny joke.

I'm about to link to a game clip from Metal Gear Solid 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1qw4P3NsPs

This one is brilliant on several levels, referencing past games and (at the time) new technology.

Something to note with Metal Gear, several characters break the 4th wall throughout the franchise, not just the comic relief character.

Sometimes the game implies that Snake is the player in a more literal sense, I remember a scene from Metal Gear Solid 1 where the player is asked to place the controller on their arm to massage it with the

vibration function of the PS1 controller. 

sometimes I found it cringey and out of taste. It may work if the series' main genre is comedy. I rarely see pop culture reference done right or maybe my standards are too high.