So I was wondering how you guys would go about designing side-scrolling map tilesets, like building a wall, for example. How would you design them?

Are there resources online? I think I'm trying to reach an aesthetic similar to the game Dreaming Mary (I think that was the title).

Image sample to grasp the idea:

horror3.png

Insights are appreciated.

Edited by TheCaliMack

I meant how would you design a sidescrolling area such as the image I just added. Will add here just in case:

horror3.png

I was thinking of making my own tilesets, but what's the best approach to it? How would you 'draw' them in this case?

You have to make the other side a parallax, the others a part of a new foreground, then scroll them. I can also slide in the idea that the tileset should behave like a parallax, not a tileset.

Yeah, it's basically all one giant piece of art that you'd parallax through the back. I remember Dreaming Mary, on an unrelated note XD I thought it was so cute and then it scared the freak out of me--

What everyone else said.

Draming Mary basically uses 2 hand drawn images.

One's the background image, with an event set up on the door sections for an "action button" to be pressed on them like a door would. 

The other is a foreground image, used to create the pillars and shadows in the front. I imagine a parallax script was used to fit the entire map, which creates the movement for the front image since it was made to "stick" to the map and move when the player moved along the map.

As for movement in general, probably a script that uses region ID's.

A region was placed above and below the character feet to prevent them moving up and down on the map and gives the player that sense of walking along the hallway.