Sign in to follow this  
Saeryen

An ocean hazard?

Hello. I know I haven't been around in awhile. I've been working hard on my game and plus there's life stuff. I'll be more active when I have a working demo.

My question is: how do you make a moving dangerous object in the sea? I ask because the ocean tiles are impassable except by the ship, which is how I want it. However, this means that the object (a moving whirlpool) can't move at all unless it is set to "through." The problem is that being set to "through" means it just passes over the player without causing damage. The only thing I can think of is to make the sea tile passable, but then the player could walk around on it without a ship, which I don't want.

Thanks in advance!

the easiest solution I can imagine is making both deep and shallow water tiles . You make shallow water tiles unpassables and deep water tiles passables so the player can walk on ocen tiles in theory but actually can't reach them.
Using scripting magic could work too

You can make the whirlpool a parallel process event that checks it's coordinates with the player's. In the whirlpool event, make a conditional branch and set it to "Script" Copy and paste the below into it:

$game_player.x == $game_map.events[@event_id].x and $game_player.y == $game_map.events[@event_id].y

This way, you can have the whirlpool set to "Through" so it can move freely, and still interact with the player.