[POLL CLOSED. See the latest posts for the actual results]  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, Jackus. Given the number of participants, how are we handling prize distribution? Top 3 standard, or Top 5?

i think I'll do top 5 this time. Depends on if I get more prize donations.

I think we have enough for 1 prize for each of Top 5. Instead of the usual "1st gets 2-3, 2nd gets 2, 3rd gets 1, etc." One prize per person seems fair, given the prize pool will carry over.

Hey, Jackus. Given the number of participants, how are we handling prize distribution? Top 3 standard, or Top 5?

i think I'll do top 5 this time. Depends on if I get more prize donations.

I think we have enough for 1 prize for each of Top 5. Instead of the usual "1st gets 2-3, 2nd gets 2, 3rd gets 1, etc." One prize per person seems fair, given the prize pool will carry over.

Seems fair to me.

Edited by Kirimash

er, there is no theme...?

I was saying that some people need a theme to get started. In which case just pick a random word and go with it.

IIAW5 is anything goes, let your creativity run wild.

Well, then... I'm gonna try and quash these keywords into a 60-minutes game:

1. Chaos

2. Holiday

3. Silence

4. Revelation

5. Imagination

Woah. These words got along surprisingly well...

Well, except "Holiday", but meh. I'll just throw Hannukah as a setting then.

er, there is no theme...?

I was saying that some people need a theme to get started. In which case just pick a random word and go with it.

IIAW5 is anything goes, let your creativity run wild.

Well, then... I'm gonna try and quash these keywords into a 60-minutes game:

1. Chaos

2. Holiday

3. Silence

4. Revelation

5. Imagination

Woah. These words got along surprisingly well...

Well, except "Holiday", but meh. I'll just throw Hannukah as a setting then.

All those combine into one word: Anarchy

Hold your horses!

But not me!  :giggle:

k, lame jokes aside~

Regarding commissions, I thought the main page says it can be used but not recommended? (And if the creator knows it's the contest season, they'll probably not gonna finish it now for obvious reason XD /slapped)

As it's a simple contest, where teamwork is not allowed, I think, that commissions shouldn't be allowed as well as it can be counted as a teamwork.

How?

You're asking a person to make resources for you - it is not any different than working on a game with somebody else, who for example would also just create some resources for game.

That being said, let's assume that I have a music composer as a friend (I don't have, but it's just example). Could I commission him to make some music for my game? And since he's my friend, he'd do that for free. Now let's find more friends ~ a coder, a graphic artist and then 'commission' them all and make an awesome game 'alone'. That's a plot hole in 'The Story of Rules: Christmas - Not Really Edition'. x3

As has been said before (I believe), only publicly-available resources and custom ones made by contestant should be allowed.

But that's what I think, just a random thought.

Hold your horses!

But not me!  :giggle:

k, lame jokes aside~

Regarding commissions, I thought the main page says it can be used but not recommended? (And if the creator knows it's the contest season, they'll probably not gonna finish it now for obvious reason XD /slapped)

As it's a simple contest, where teamwork is not allowed, I think, that commissions shouldn't be allowed as well as it can be counted as a teamwork.

How?

You're asking a person to make resources for you - it is not any different than working on a game with somebody else, who for example would also just create some resources for game.

That being said, let's assume that I have a music composer as a friend (I don't have, but it's just example). Could I commission him to make some music for my game? And since he's my friend, he'd do that for free. Now let's find more friends ~ a coder, a graphic artist and then 'commission' them all and make an awesome game 'alone'. That's a plot hole in 'The Story of Rules: Christmas - Not Really Edition'. x3

As has been said before (I believe), only publicly-available resources and custom ones made by contestant should be allowed.

But that's what I think, just a random thought.

Well said, Riki.

The assets (for the game entry) cannot be made prior to contest start. Sign-ups are the lull before the start. Taking aim, cleaning the gun, etc.

Well said, Riki.

The assets (for the game entry) cannot be made prior to contest start. Sign-ups are the lull before the start. Taking aim, cleaning the gun, etc.

What I meant is, that even when the contest starts, commissions shouldn't be allowed at all as it's nothing else than teamwork. The fact, that it might involve money is irrelevant.

Commissioning people is simply not fair towards contestants, that do all of the things mainly on their own.

For example:

> Before the game making period starts, I'm planning my idea (it is allowed) ~ so I also explained what I'll be needing to the people, who I want to commission, so they'll be prepared. (nobody said I can't)

> The game making period starts - I'm working on one thing, the commissioners on another (like music, art, even scripting).

> Merging stuff at the end and we have a decent project.

That's not how it should work.

Also a possible way to cheat?

Work on the project with friends and tell, that I've just 'commissioned' them in the end, which wouldn't be true, but who cares.

Of course it's not a big issue, but you know what I mean.

Aaanyway, good luck to everyone! x3

I'm pretty sure I'll fail, since I have no idea what to do. :D

Well said, Riki.

What I meant is, that even when the contest starts, commissions shouldn't be allowed at all as it's nothing else than teamwork. The fact, that it might involve money is irrelevant.

Commissioning people is simply not fair towards contestants, that do all of the things mainly on their own.

For example:

> Before the game making period starts, I'm planning my idea (it is allowed) ~ so I also explained what I'll be needing to the people, who I want to commission, so they'll be prepared. (nobody said I can't)

> The game making period starts - I'm working on one thing, the commissioners on another (like music, art, even scripting).

Work on the project with friends and tell, that I've just 'commissioned' them in the end, which wouldn't be true, but who cares.

To wrap things up, Don't cheat and play fair guys! =3

Huehuehue  :giggle:

Well said, Riki.

For example:

To wrap things up, Don't cheat and play fair guys! =3

Huehuehue  :giggle:

Indeed.

Riki makes an interesting point, so after reading his views and thinking about it a bit..

:excl: Rule change!

You are now no longer able to commission people for your Indie in a Week 5 project.

In the event of you already having commissions done, you shouldn't have done that anyway since the contest hasn't started yet, so there's no problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought commissioning someone would have kinda spoken for itself to be honest. It is literally hiring someone to help, whether their part of your already existing game development team or a stranger on DeviantART.

Kinda hyped for this. I'm working the first half of the contest, then i'm off for the second half so I should be able to get stuff done this time around :)

Also, I'm super paranoid to use Dropbox again after last time =.= so I apologise in advance if my game doesn't work. Again.

I use MediaFire, but I'm a contrarian... At least nobody suggested Microsoft's BS.

@Jackus I told you I'd be the guy asking for niche clarifications, and I am back with another one: Last December I had somebody make a script for me for another game, and I have come across a situation in ANOTHER non-IIAW project that needs the exact function I want written into this script to use it for IIAW5.
Is this a violation of the rules? I.E. I ask another user to add functionality to a script that this person has already authored, for both my IIAW game and my non-IIAW game. Does this make sense?

I use MediaFire, but I'm a contrarian... At least nobody suggested Microsoft's BS.

@Jackus I told you I'd be the guy asking for niche clarifications, and I am back with another one: Last December I had somebody make a script for me for another game, and I have come across a situation in ANOTHER non-IIAW project that needs the exact function I want written into this script to use it for IIAW5.

Is this a violation of the rules? I.E. I ask another user to add functionality to a script that this person has already authored, for both my IIAW game and my non-IIAW game. Does this make sense?

I would say that the modification is "okay", just not for use in the IIAW project.

Edited by Nyuuchan353