TheRaven_21

Loading Screen When Launching The Game?

If I made a terrible mistake and posted this where I shouldn't, please allow me to sincerely apologize. I need to finish a project before January 2017, and I really need this answered. 

I personally find loading screens between MAPs not good. They're obviously fake, and they become tedious in the long run in every test. You do not need to fill an in between by adding nothing else, I know they could work, but mostly they don't feel right to me. 

On the other hand, there's something I'd like to try. I want to have an animated, and I quite literally say this, it's not an expression, a two seconds or so loading screen. I don't want it to be something sophisticated, just something that looks good and has a "Loading..." Text thingy. Probably not even well animated or anything, just that. Again, it must be very, very brief. 

Does anyone know how to do that, or even script it? I don't want to use directly anyone else's music, assets, characters or scenary much less scripts for this game. i just want to draw inspiration and of course, follow what other's say I have to do but I want to do it myself. 

Yes, it might be hard and I am a really soft cookie with not much knowledge of this, so don't...Um, put me in milk. I break...

Anyways, thank you and hopefully you don't find me too annoying. 

I'll correct anything I have to correct. 

Yeah I know how you feel about map loading screens, fake loading screens are a big pet peeve of mine. Fact is, because of the way the game basically loads everything on the fly as soon as it is needed, loading screens make pretty much no sense. They don't do anything. I suppose you could try and trick it to advancing one frame while faded out and not displaying it while displaying a static loading screen, but animated ones are pretty much right out. There are so many scripts for this that exists as nothing but fancy eyecandy and loading and displaying the screen usually takes waaay more time and effort then loading the assets ever did.

A loading screen when launched though? Maybe... But it probably couldn't be animated because IO interrupts program flow and I don't think RGSS has any concept of threading (fibers are different before anyone asks, they aren't threads they are just control flow helpers). Unless one graphics update happens after loaded cache? Seems like the update would slow down loading to a crawl anyway. Might not be out of the question to simply have the first script in the script list set up a basic sprite and the one right before main gets rid of it, but that would only work for the first code step and database, and that mostly takes a fraction of a second. Otherwise you would have to wait all the way till after the first frame of the into scene. I guess if you use my Cache Back script and preload things there would be more need for a splash screen, but I really hardly see the point unless you are going nutzo on it. Also the biggest chunk of time loading when launching the game happens before ruby scripts are even run anyway.

TL;DR: Loading screens just don't really make any kind of logical sense with how RPG Maker VX Ace actually loads stuff.

Edited by KilloZapit

Yeah I know how you feel about map loading screens, fake loading screens are a big pet peeve of mine. Fact is, because of the way the game basically loads everything on the fly as soon as it is needed, loading screens make pretty much no sense. They don't do anything. I suppose you could try and trick it to advancing one frame while faded out and not displaying it while displaying a static loading screen, but animated ones are pretty much right out. There are so many scripts for this that exists as nothing but fancy eyecandy and loading and displaying the screen usually takes waaay more time and effort then loading the assets ever did.

A loading screen when launched though? Maybe... But it probably couldn't be animated because IO interrupts program flow and I don't think RGSS has any concept of threading (fibers are different before anyone asks, they aren't threads they are just control flow helpers). Unless one graphics update happens after loaded cache? Seems like the update would slow down loading to a crawl anyway. Might not be out of the question to simply have the first script in the script list set up a basic sprite and the one right before main gets rid of it, but that would only work for the first code step and database, and that mostly takes a fraction of a second. Otherwise you would have to wait all the way till after the first frame of the into scene. I guess if you use my Cache Back script and preload things there would be more need for a splash screen, but I really hardly see the point unless you are going nutzo on it. Also the biggest chunk of time loading when launching the game happens before ruby scripts are even run anyway.

TL;DR: Loading screens just don't really make any kind of logical sense with how RPG Maker VX Ace actually loads stuff.

i see. Thanks a lot, you've been really helpful.

That ones out of the way, then.

Good luck on your project though! *sprinkles fairy dust on you*

Inb4 closing :3

Another thing you could do is look at something like Shaz's Splash screen script and treat the splash screen as a loading screen. (This is assuming you want the loading screen before the title screen; if you want it after then no scripting would be necessary at all)

For animation just overlay images. Heck, for something like a whirling disk you could probably use a script call. Not the cleanest way to do these things but they'd suffice, I'm sure.

Yeah you could put in some silly animation or something if you really wanted to. If you are just going to make some fake animation that doesn't do anything, that's pretty easy. But the whole point of a loading screen is to, you know, load things. I don't see the point in blatantly lying and wasting the player's time like that. If there are aesthetic reasons for wanting a pre-menu splash screen then fine, but a splash screen and a loading screen are not the same thing.

Fake loading screens are something I am 100% not okay with. The are deceitful and wasteful, and serve only to perpetrate the myth that they have a function and need to be there. I have already listed all the technical reasons why real loading screens are just not necessary and are in fact highly counterproductive, not without some really really clever fiddling anyway and even then I would need some serious benchmarking to figure out the best way to do it without the loading and processing of the loading screen taking longer then the actual loading.

I don't want to be too harsh about it, because I can understand the motivation to snaz up the time it takes to load, but I think I need to be a little harsh on people who knowingly offer fake solutions and are far more concerned with how it looks then how it works. This is not an easy problem, and it shouldn't just be covered up thoughtlessly. That is how bad practices start among people who don't know better.

Edited by KilloZapit

But the whole point of a loading screen is to, you know, load things.

A loading screen, sure. But we're talking about a fake loading screen here which probably means the user has some artistic motive for it rather than a performance based one.

Well, I have already explained how I think it's distasteful to outright deceive the player, how that propagates the notion that such a fake loading screen is an expected feature even if it serves no function, and how there are are uses for splash screens for artistic uses without actually putting a big fake "LOADING" on it, but sure I will acknowledge that using a fake loading screen can still be an artistic act if there is some artistic motive behind it, like for example this. Somehow I doubt that is the case in 99% of cases though. I just want to make clear why I think it's mostly a bad idea.

Well, I have already explained how I think it's distasteful to outright deceive the player, how that propagates the notion that such a fake loading screen is an expected feature even if it serves no function, and how there are are uses for splash screens for artistic uses without actually putting a big fake "LOADING" on it, but sure I will acknowledge that using a fake loading screen can still be an artistic act if there is some artistic motive behind it, like for example this. Somehow I doubt that is the case in 99% of cases though. I just want to make clear why I think it's mostly a bad idea.

Yes. I do have a clear reason. My story is set in a really specific universe that I made myself and a loading screen, a fake one at that would look absolutely awesome if put the right way, no matter how short - again, the shorter it is, the better. It's like a Sims kind of thing and I would love to have one. At first I simply thought it might work but I really have to try it now that I have a good motive. 

I had enough time to think up the story better. 

Thanks again to you~ I'm going to need the luck! You actually made me think about the topic a lot better. I don't think I would have thought about it without you. For some strange reason I liked to hear you ranting about why it was bad. I found it...Pleasing? Uh, don't question it.

Inb4 closing :3

Another thing you could do is look at something like Shaz's Splash screen script and treat the splash screen as a loading screen. (This is assuming you want the loading screen before the title screen; if you want it after then no scripting would be necessary at all)

For animation just overlay images. Heck, for something like a whirling disk you could probably use a script call. Not the cleanest way to do these things but they'd suffice, I'm sure.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. It's a really good idea, both of them. I just wanted it before the title screen, but there's a very small chance I might to the latter if I ever find a good explanation as to why it would be better...Asides from maybe being easier.

But I never meant to say you shouldn't try and make some cool themeing and stuff! The animation I linked too was also pretty sim-inspired I think. It's used really nicely in that story I think, though it's not at the start. I like how the screen and song comes back later in an awesome way. You can do a lot with stuff like that if you try for sure!

Whatever you do I wish you luck! *sprinkles fairy dust on you*

This thread is closed, due to being solved. If for some reason anybody would like to re-open this thread, just send a message to moderator or report the first post on this thread and ask for its re-opening in the reason box. (=