Sign in to follow this  
Darkblade

Pokemon Sun and New!

Who's playing the new Pokemon?

I'm should have a copy by the weekend.

Hopefully it proves to be a bit of a different game, I hope this whole trials thing is something new.

I don't really know too much about these new ones. 

Although I do know the Alola versions of Gen 1 pokemon are quite controversial.

Particularly a pokemon that now has hair.

Hmm, I haven't played Pokémon since Black (except some HG nuzlocke's) so maybe enough has changed to pick up a copy; there's a lot of one-line reviews about how innovative and different it is but not a lot of info to substantiate those claims. All of the features I can see are similar to previous games; you can feed and groom your pets since they added the Pokémon Contests, for example.

Its a similar story to the different versions of Pokémon where one of the iterations had some recolours for Pokémon caught in different seas or something. Its a nice touch, I'd like to see more of it, and its an idea they had since the Orange Islands series of the show with those Pokemon who turned pink from the berries they ate. So yeah, far from a new idea.

I guess I'll see how the Black Friday sales go. But even if its super generous its probably better for me to put that money elsewhere.

Yeah, its almost always the same sort of game every time, so I've usually been kind of cautious about them, the last two gens I was lucky that the games I got were

gifts, I do enjoy them for a little while. Especially X, I think the huge graphical overhaul really made it a bit more fun for me.

So I'm kind of looking forward to this one. 

Havent played since XY but always up to date with the news from /vp/.

The review is mixed but most people agree it was best pokemon game to date for difficulty and story.

And new gen meaning new pokemon and new meta.

So, I'm more interested to play competitively on battle simulator.

We (The BF and I) bought it yesterday. 

I must say I'm not super excited about it. haven't been since the ORAS release (I loved X/Y, but ORAS should have been a stand alone title, not a "remake" where they change everything regarding the original game)

The graphics look nice, but that's where my praise ends so far. The pokemon released this gen are minimal, awful in design and lack the spark the other gens had. Don't even et me started on the "forms" they made fo Gen1 pokemon. When half the "monsters" in your game are redesigns of original designs already made, then I call lazy designers. (My poor Raichu...)

To be fair though, I'm not to far through the game yet. I like it so far - as kid friendly as alot of the dialogue is (well, it is a kids game haha) but I already self committed to not wanting to own many of the new pokemon. I wanted a four legged final Litten evo ;-; That evo was clearly fight type, then it was changed to a dark type last minute probably due to backlash of yet another "original type match" for the fire starter.

The environment looks nice though, and I hope the gameplay isn't forced upon you to much since Z-moves can go flap itself. If I wanted to play a game as a Ginyu member, I'd steal my BF's Xenoverse games.

Also, please please please let the legendary's be legendary. X/Y was disappointing due to the mandatory capture of that games legendary pokemon... 

/rant.

X/Y was my favorite. The game looked wonderful and the play style was great. Kinda wish the gym leaders were harder ( i beat the game first try without a single "blackout"). Tp be honest, I was sceptic about X/Y though due to it's new fairy typing, and it turned out pretty balanced so yea... 

Here's hoping Sun/Moon doesn't ruin itself (for me atleast hah)

I caved and bought the 2DS bundle at lunch today. Tbf it was pretty reasonably priced and it wasn't likely to get a Black Friday sale being a new release and all.

I always buy handhelds at the end of their lifespan T_T

I am super hyped though. Been so long since I played a new Pokémon game :3

You'd think with my avatar, that I have both Sun and Moon, but I haven't played since Black and White. Mostly because I don't want a handheld system. I played Black and White on an emulator. 

@Takeo- I've noticed a big decline in originality as the series went on. Sounds like they hit a new low. Is the game at least challenging? That has always been my biggest issue with Pokemon games. Also, who's doin' Z moves and why?  *gasp*   Is super saiyan Charizard in it? I'd buy 'em for that!  :lol:

Nothing's quite as good as the rose-tinted goggles amirite lone? Nothing will ever compare to the brilliant original designs of Voltorb the electric orb or Magnemite the magnet.

I've seen two redesigns so far, Grimer and Rattata, and honestly I prefer them both to the original designs. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen that Grimer design before; a trading card maybe?

Oh, actually there was a purple shaded Meowth too; that one was kind of lame I guess.

What I've seen of the newest gen (I assume is the newest, I've skipped two(?) gens) is good enough; the legendary that saves you seems pretty awesome.

Honestly, the worst thing about the game from what I've played has nothing to do with the Pokémon and is just about how controlled everything feels; I'm like four hours into what I hope is just the tutorial. It used to just be here's your poke, here's how to catch more, there's the road, now be on your way you little scamp.

There's been a massive front-end overhaul that is impressive and full 3D is something they've clearly wanted to make for a long time now but so so many flaws from a basic design perspective:

Fixed camera? Is it 2000 again?

Invisible walls?

Grinding external minigames for bonuses? (I mean the Pokémon Refresh thing)

Continuing to make the games ever easier? (Continued diminishment of status effects and throwing xp at you)

More crappy NPCs than ever before? 

I mean, I like what I've played of the game and could make a similar list of things they've done right but I feel like a lot of the devs efforts have been misdirected. 

@Lone: Eh... The only "challenge" I've had so far is the new Totem Pokemon challenges. The pokemon itself is buffed stats, and it can call for help during the fight. It seems rare, but you can end up in battle with 2 vs 1 which is pretty tough in certain situations, but mainly because spam attacks. The AI seems a little better though. In those 2vs1 fights, one enemy seems to attack whilst another buffs. Though, in my Totem battle, I had the little pokemon attack me whilst the big buffed guy debuffed me, so it isn't exactly scripted genius haha.

@Tarq: Yea... The first island seems pretty linear, and everyone seems quite overly explanatory. I ended up spamming A just to proceed. I just landed on the second island so I'm hoping it's less linear...

I like some of the updated battle animations though. Haven't used a Z move *and prob won't for a long time). I admit though. I bet the island "boss" and there was a comment that I beat him without a Z-move, so atleast there's that little detail.

I miss my bike though... and my money. I spent all my money on clothes. #girlproblems

Sounds kinda exactly like all the previous versions. The totem challenges sound interesting though. Z moves sound like they make already easy battles even easier. Just like mega evolutions. If my Machamp can use a kamehameha, it might be worth it :P I'm waiting for them to finally make an MMO where you can battle as the Pokemon. You could have different regions be servers/ starting points and have predominately Pokemon from those regions with a few others sprinkled in. I mentally developed a pretty elaborate game in my head. 

Loving Pokemon Sun so far. I'm barely anywhere into it.

It feels totally different, like you've got the basic theme of the playing having just moved to Alola, but its redone in a much more

refreshing way.

As far as storyline goes, if it keeps that up, I'm happy.

As far as other things, the game tells you how effective an attack is.

I don't quite understand why the dev's would put that in.

Maybe its not always accurate?

But anyway, I'm happy so far.

@ The AI seems a little better though. In those 2vs1 fights, one enemy seems to attack whilst another buffs. Though, in my Totem battle, I had the little pokemon attack me whilst the big buffed guy debuffed me, so it isn't exactly scripted genius haha.

It might be better than is immediately obvious.... maybe. This morning I had an encounter with some mineral pokemon (Idk) and it called for help. A Sableye came and killed it for me. This seems like impossibly bad AI but when I caught the Sableye his dex entry said that it preys on the first Pokemon. Perhaps there's some lore-ish reason for what happened with your encounter Takeo.

As far as other things, the game tells you how effective an attack is.

I don't quite understand why the dev's would put that in.

Continuing to make the games ever easier?

There are a lot of Pokemon types now (I notice this new Fairy one) and one of the ways they try to keep the new pokes interesting is by complex type combo's (the grass starter in this game drewa lot of attention for being the only Flying/Grass, for example). Maybe a lot of players were having trouble deciding what attacks to use against what pokes and didn't find testing to be much fun.

Btw, if you're all completionists like me dont forget the Munchlax mystery gift and the Greninja demo transfer :3

I picked up Sun when it first came out! Just beat it two days ago. I have to say it was quite a bit of a challenge. I decided I'd make it hard on myself and go with an all Ghost/Grass type team, considering I'd never done a full team of either before. With the whole stigma of the "Bad Guys" using dark types, haha, I was getting thoroughly run through the wringer. The Elite Four was a pleasant little challenge as well. Waiting around till the Pokemon Bank opens and doing some casual shiny hunting now for some of the new Pokemon this gen. 

We should post our friend codes here! I'll post mine here: 2208-7362-5239

Welp I beat it. Can't say I found it any harder than other instalments. If anything its probably easier since I played with a team of pokes I liked rather than a consciously well-built one.

Got around 120 in the dex but I'm not feeling particularly pumped to catch 'em all this time. I'll check out the postgame as well but, eh, just haven't enjoyed this game as much as the others.

Are these friend codes for Pokémon itself or a Nintendo code (grandpa over here x3 )

I dont know where I'm at with it right now.

I want to trade over a Charmander from X&Y but that ain't happening until the Pokemon Bank thing is upgraded to work with Sun&Moon.

Of all the shiny pokemon to catch, I caught a shiny Alolan Diglet.

So there's that.

Its a good game I suppose, but I'm not exactly into it as I am into other games.

The Early Game has worn off for me.