Tarq

Sovereignty: TCG

Boring Bits:

Abstract: A TCG I built in RM :3
Genre: Hmm, puzzle?
Game Progression: Technically complete? Look at the planned updates further down for a better idea.
Recruitment: I guess if someone wanted to do arty stuff for the cards that'd be cool.
Average demo time: kek, five minutes?

Download:

Non-RTP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrzc6tjjwhxe63b/Sovereignty V5.2.2.exe?dl=0

(let me know if you require a version with the RTP)

Story / Setting / Purpose:

(This game was made for the system so this side of things isn't well-developed yet)
The world is post-Blight; an undetermined time after a nuclear war which has destroyed many lines of production, especially those of complex technologies. With ingrained terror of physical violence, arguments of any level are resolved through a simple card game. A neo-feudalism has since emerged where those able to access supplies or the means of production are largely unopposed due to bleak circumstances and a bleaker future leading to apathy and exhaustion from bystanders.

Character Bios:

You are the heir to a small house. With supplies dwindling you hope to consolidate your family's future by entering the Justice Department.

NPCs:
???:
Skulking around the city is a man with a hidden identity. From the colour of his hair it is clear he has not been affected by the Blight.

Eren:
Following the death of her brother Eren also aspires to join the Justice Department. She is a foil to the main character who's motives are more Machiavellian.

Cuthbert:
Borderline heretical; A would-be engineer tinkering with the machine's of the Old Ones.

Victoria:
A sickly child in a world without medicine. She can't help but maintain a positive attitude as this is the only lifestyle she has ever known.

(A couple more will likely be added)

Screenshots:

AYs5P58.png

The Skirmish system.

wgM2RHQ.png

cJoMbVh.png

The overworld.

wLm8jnJ.png

My favourite screen :3 (Too many fonts though)

1GlNbGF.png

Trailer:

Planned Updates
-Enemy AI improvements.
-Larger card pool.

-Card redesign.

Credits:
Engine/RTP provided by Degica/EB!

Assets from XP, VXA & MV RTP

Tsukihime's Equippable Limits script

Rikifive for all his help with the menus.

Known Issues:
Nothing significant currently.

Just played it and it looks like a sick idea.

Right now it isn't something to behold though, the interface is really confusing and the fight quite barebones, but it could become really good with some fixes, maybe combat animations for the summons, and of course the story.

By the way, I encountered a bug when fighting the king guy that allowed me to move around in the battle map and find a bunch of sprites to the right, you should find some way to disable actor movement completely.

Yes, its early days still, I'm pretty much just flaunting the systems ;) There will be a 'bells and whistles' update at some point (probably as part fo the general content update), its just not a priority for me right now. Could you elaborate on any parts you found unintuitive? (obviously it all makes too much sense to me since I watched it grow).

Hmm can you give me more info about the movement bug (like what cards were played or anything you pressed)? Actor movement is disabled in Game_Player via a switch associated with the transition to the duel so if you were able to move around then the duel should have been forced to a premature end.

Thanks for giving it a go Ferry66 :) If I could double-like your post I would.

Thanks for giving it a go Ferry66 :)

Yes, its early days still, I'm pretty much just flaunting the systems ;) There will be a 'bells and whistles' update at some point (probably as part fo the general content update), its just not a priority for me right now. Could you elaborate on any parts you found unintuitive? (obviously it all makes too much sense to me since I watched it grow).

Hmm can you give me more info about the movement bug (like what cards were played or anything you pressed)? Actor movement is disabled in Game_Player via a switch associated with the transition to the duel so if you were able to move around then the duel should have been forced to a premature end.

The bug that allowed me to move during battle triggered when I tried moving during the transition between dialogue and battle, but I had already beaten the king so I don't know if it happens at first. The duel did end, but it didn't kick me out like entering the game without cards did.

As for the system, it was weird having to equip all the cards one by one at first (although that could be just nitpicking) and the butler had explained a ton of stuff I didn't even read, that's a lot to be throwing to the player right away. 

The battle was alright, but I don't really get the mechanics. It is, indeed, very similar to Yu-Gi-Oh, with the life points system, but there seems to be no limit to summons or ''magic'' cards. At one point, I got a card that allowed 100 direct damage, but I don't remember picking the victim for it.

Card games are goddamn complicated when it comes to explaining the rules, maybe a short tutorial would be a better showcase?

Edited by Ferry66

Ah, I've found the bug. The second time you dueled the system was snagged on one of the processes from the first duel and so didn't transition properly. Its fixed now, will reupload soon. has been reuploaded.

Yup, I agree that its an inconvenience having to equip all those cards (testing was not fun :lol: ) but until I have enough cards for themed decks it just seemed best to give the player access to everything and pick what they want.

And yeah, Chancellor guy is a bit dry. He pretty much exists to say 'this is how a tcg generally works, here's the different syntax of this one'. I find tutorials kind of annoying myself but I'll try to think of a gentler welcome to the game for the future.

Yup no limit to playing cards; card conservation, amongst others, is a play style that I'd like to see emerge organically if this got bigger. I think the best way to let players regulate their actions is to not regulate them with code. But, we'll see, I'm not a professional after all.

Interesting concept. It could definitely use some polish. The opponent only ever had one monster out even though I had my side stacked. Needlessly to say, he died a terrible death. Having some sort of summoning cost like mana in "Magic the Gathering" or energy cards in the Pokemon TCG. Those are the only two I've played. Either mechanic could work. 

Thanks for playing lone :D

Yup, it needs a lot of work. I've got a couple of ideas for improving the enemy's AI but not many tbh. When I do get round to it I promise they'll put up a little bit more fight (your cards also wont all be better than theirs :3 ).

Again, I'm not too keen on the idea of inhibiting the player; I'd rather create situations where playing conservatively is as viable as playing aggressively. But If its what people want I guess I could; this is always going to be different than PvP after all (although...).

Actually I'm surprised both of you have managed to get through the duel okay; I've just noticed some errant code in enemy handling. 'S'all fixed now ofc, will be updating once I've finished working on tribute summoning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, reuploaded. As well as the fixes, tribute summoning is now a thing. Try it out next time you've got a Griffin in your hand. Oh, I also made it fullscreen. 'Cause why not?

ZUTuVMe.png

Pro Tip: combine with Turncoat! to really sway the battle.

Ooo...

Adding more mechanics doesn't necessarily inhibit the player. The more steps/options there are, the more choices the player has to make, and more strategies are created. As for how many steps and wrinkles to add depends on your audience. If you want to create something that just about anyone can pick up and play, having eleventh-billion different stats and resources to manage, yo'll turn a lot of people off. The trick is to add enough stuff to make the game challenging enough that people don't get bored while avoiding making people bored or frustrated. Ahh...balance. Obliviously, you're not going to please everyone, but it'd be nice if your net was cast wide enough to get a decent following. 

The really big obstacle here will the the AI. The more complex the game is, the harder it will be to make the CPU players manage their resources effectively and make smart decisions on where and what to attack. I don;t know much about coding, but I know this kind of thing can get very complex very quickly. Your eyes may begin to bleed. 

I look forward to seeing this develop. 

Thanks for the input lone :)

Yeah, there's a lot of ways this system could go and there's a lot of work to be done. The real problem with AI isn't so much the complexity (although obviously that's a biggie) but that its a bottomless pit - its going to be a component that can always be better.

Tbh, I've kind of gotten what I wanted out of the project just by making the system. I intend to keep working on it (and it would be very cool if people enjoyed it!) but its not a project I'm super invested in. Right now, there's a couple of other systems I'm interested in making (and one I'm interested in revisiting) and I've learned enough from my time here to not turn a hobby into a second job by creating obligations. I hope I haven't misled anyone and I also hope you'll keep an eye out over the coming months for my other attempts to pervert RM and the sporadic updates that will come to this.

All my updates are belong to you?

-The graveyard function exists now but since no cards relate to it currently its not that big a deal. It does exist though, so...

-There's  four more tribute troops. They're pretty badass.

-Bug fixes for Neutralize and Turncoat!. Tbh each fix for Turncoat! led to some other error so, while it looks stable to me now, I'm not fully convinved its bug free. Play it with caution.

And, bah, I noticed a new release on Steam yesterday for another game called Sovereignty. Boo!

Some shrewd forumgoer may notice that there's a new download link since my last post so I just wanted to clarify why I've done so when there's only two new cards and one doesn't even have artwork yet.

Plainly, its because I've done a lot of work under the hood. The changes are, more or less, imperceptible to the player so you're just going to have to take my word for it that the game is much more robust and reliable now. I also took a couple of steps towards making the game a bit more player-friendly while I was at it. I think Riki would describe it as about '20% cooler' now.

By the by, the two new cards are both command (magic) cards:

Field Surgeon, which returns a troop of the users choosing from their graveyard to the field.

Russian Roulette, which sends a random card in play to the graveyard.

I've still got a lot of thinking to do with balancing but I'll probably make a start on it soon. If anyone gives it a play let me know; it'd be nice to hear what you think, even if its just whether you enjoyed it or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I was working on another command card this morning (Assassination, select a troop on the enemies side of the field and send it to their graveyard) when I noticed a couple of fairly significant bugs relating to the overhaul. They're gone now and the new card is in. A new link has been provided. Thanks for (maybe) playing!

So, the update.

AYs5P58.png

Probably the first thing anyone following this will notice is the implementation of an external resource for balancing cards that was discussed elsewhere on the forums. In keeping with the theme this resource has been dubbed 'Influence'. Influence works in two ways:

-If it has been used to summon a troop to the field the influence is tied to that troop and is restored in full on the troop demise.

-If it is used for command cards then the influence is restored steadily over time.

This system has been applied to all cards during the first bout of balancing, and ofc all cards have been updated to reflect this.

lqKcvDo.png

Which leads nicely to the second part of the update. Selecting a card in your hand no longer plays a card immediately but displays it and prompts you with a confirmation box. This takes the pressure off players to memorise their deck to play effectively. (It also forces people to look at the cards, some of which took a considerable effort for this artnoob)

Now for the bad news. Both of these updates required some significant changes to the base systems and while I've tested the majority of cards through single hands I haven't tested a full game so some bugs may be present from the interplay between cards. I'd be very surprised if any were to crash the game although freezing may occur. In either instance (or any other) please can you take a screeny for me to fix it.

I think the next update will be the first foray into enemy AI with some 'bells and whistles' added (because they're easy and people like that stuff) Probably two weeks at the latest but who can be certain of these things. If I do get any bug reports or balancing suggestions I will update in the meantime.

Obviously, its been a little longer than two weeks. And I haven't even done much of what I said I would D:

I've been doing other stuff. Made that logo< Made that blog \/

Currently, Soveriegnity is second priority to another project but maybe I'll sneak in some work here and there (I prefer it, tbh).

I was watching the Bioshock director's commentary today and they were discussing about how they made Rapture believable. Its never going to be an easy feat to make anything the defining trait of a society but something as whimical as a card game seems particularly tough subject matter. Nonetheless, I wrote the intro below: 

Global scale warfare has decimated the populace and dismantled many lines of production.
In recognition of the threat of extinction, humanity has destroyed what little arms remained and agreed all disputes are to be settled non-violently.
In determining the means to settle disagreements it was imperative that it be applicable on any scale and be practicable by any demographic.
A card game was deemed appropriate. Skepticism declined as generations passed and it became part of daily life.

You are the heir of a small house.
With tensions surfacing over dwindling supplies your options are clear: sated ascension or sustained decay.

Its broad strokes stuff but its giving me some ideas about art direction and characters so maybe the next demo you see will be a bit longer than five text boxes and one match.

This isn't really here or there, but I just pictured (in scarily vivid detail) that backstory in a present day setting and imagined the public reaction when it was announced that all future disagreements would be settled with a card game. Pretty much broke the internet. People launched Twitterstorms that put even Trump to shame (also picture if it was Trump announcing this for some fun mental images). Late night talk shows had a field day with satire. Could you imagine the SNL sketches that would come of this? And the many many protests and riots all over the world. But all the world governments that were left weren't budging on this, and as you said, it eventually became commonplace. 

It's a very hard sell in real life. The nice things about games though is people are far more willing to take leaps of faith, and that willingness increases the better the game is. It really doesn't have to make any sense at all, and people will just go with it if it's entertaining to play. You don't even have to put any backstory whatsoever. You could always let people imagine how a society and government formed around a card game. So don't worry about the premise being flimsy. 

It is nice to see you're using the backstory to help develop the cards. You can have cards based on old military weapons, creatures now extinct largely because of the war, old combat magics that are now forbidden, etc. It makes the concept easier to accept when aspects of the world's history/customs/etc are built into the game play. 

Edited by lonequeso

I've gotten quite a lot of work done on this the last couple of weeks so here's an update.

- Card pool; In short, quite a few more cards now. Most of the new cards are Command cards so the skirmishes will be less brutish.

- Animations; I've started implementing unique animations when playing cards. I find it kind of tedious so its only in effect for about a dozen cards so far. I've also been thinking about adding animations for the other player when the skirmish starts, they gain/lose Influence, win/lose and so on but I haven't implemented this to any degree yet though.

- Story; I've got a lot of the lore down and something resembling a plot. Struggling to think up an effective way to implement these though.

- Overworld; A screeny is worth a thousand words, or something like that.

cJoMbVh.png

The characters aren't confined and move around, however they all use the same deck currently. Purchasing cards will be handled on Commercial Street but you're still given access to all cards in the demo so I've left it out. I'd like to add a little VN-esque sequence when you visit each area before you enter the skirmish for conversation with the character and a perspective on the area but we'll have to see if I can art anything.

As for AI, still not implemented yet. Idk why I don't, it seems like something I'd enjoy if I just got around to it.

Anyways, the new link is up, on here and the blog. Let me know if you give it a play, find any bugs, or have any thoughts.

Getting stuff done. I like it! More cards = more strategy. That's pretty much all the game consists of so it's kinda important to make it challenging, but not super frustrating. I wouldn't worry too much about story. You can get away with a pretty basic plot with this type of game. You can get all elaborate with it, but it's far from necessary. 

Kek,uploading a demo with a disposed window bug. When will I learn? New link up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with the story is literally how to deliver it. Players need a McGuffin, reason to go that place and do that thing; effectively communicating a McGuffin in this game is.... weird.

I'm really pleased with the lore; its seeped into the characters and the environment well, and it won't be foisted on the player as it isn't necessary to enjoy this style of game. It'll just be a nice touch for the observant player.

The increased diversity in cards has been a lot of fun to make and I can get a few more cards out of making variations. I have some pretty interesting systems planned like flanking but trying to up content for the moment.

Well stories in games are basically just there to guide the player from Point A to Point B and give some sort of conflict resolution. That's really all you need. Protagonist has to stop some antagonist from doing something evil. A story like that doesn't require much finesse even with an abstract concept. Now if you're trying to really incorporate the world's lore and history, and the whole "why" of it all, it gets a bit trickier.

Personally I'd say keep it simple. Give enough exposition in the prologue and early parts of the game so the player understands why they are battling with cards instead of weapons. Once that's established, you really don't have to much else. An abstract concept like this is always going to require a small leap of faith by the audience. Some will accept the world for what it is. Others will think it's dumb and play something else. 

Another sizable update.

There's now an intro sequence with some character customization.

Enemy 'AI'; enemies can now play more than one card a turn and also wont attack if their cards are weaker than yours.

Mo' animations; for the users as well as the cards.

There's also that VN-like sequence for delivering the story before each battle that I mentioned before. Now I just need a story -_-

Currently, there's some weird bug going on (see status feed) so I wont update the demo yet.

I just noticed that thread. Holy balls, I'm so slow.  :P

That's a fun little game.

I like the concept, it's really nice, though yeah, things could use some polishing.

I gave it a try and I've noticed, that in the overworld the faces have too high z, because they're covering menus.

The battle was nice, though the enemy got totally rekt - actually almost rekt, because it froze on me. I threw a wall of monsters, where he had only one active.  :P

Everything was working nicely, until I used the card, that skips enemy's engage phase (or something like this) ~ the game got stuck there, when his turn started. (Think of wild autorun events)

Besides that, I gotta admit, that it's a nicely made game. Everything generally seems to be working, so you did a great job on writing the mechanics. With some polish and improvements, it surely would be a decent game, so keep it up!  :D

Yeah, the game needs polish and I'm paying more attention to that now that the base is more or less how I want it (except this errant bug I've had recently).

The enemy players are a little smarter now... though not much; they'll play more than one card and also know when to not attack. I also started to personalise the enemy decks last night.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at those cards tonight. Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for playing Riki, I really do appreciate it. I hope I can make future builds more enjoyable.

Managed to fix that supposed line skipping bug and restore my faith in logic. So a version with all that cool new stuff mentioned above is now available. Just follow the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/noejn5890bcwmcr/Sovereignty%20V3.1.exe?dl=0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A tester has found a bug with Field Surgery so please avoid playing that card for now)

If your game needs polish, Riki is the perfect person to help you. Get it? Cuz he's Polish???

*crickets*

I'll be leaving now...

I haven't played since the original demo. I'll have to take a gander and see all the changes and improvements.