Darkness Void

A Little Help With A Skip Cutscene Script

OK so I was given this script and while it does work, I'm hoping somebody could either edit it or create a new one? See the script forces the game to use the fade out command for both the game and the music, now I do not not want it to do that. Why? Because it'll be annoying. It'll fade out every single cutscene to nothing but a black screen and while I can fade it back in and restart the music and readd any pictures...

I just prefer not to do that. I'd much more rather the script just loses the "forced fade out" as it'll just be perfectly fine skipping a huge wall of text if the player chooses to skip the cutscenes. The issue with me is while testing it takes a good solid 30 seconds at best to even fade back in, and with events with--and this is really why I want it edited or a new one--important key to story choices.

Look at it this way, you're watching a cutscene with choices that will effect the game and main story, you skip the cutscene to get to said choices faster, but you'll have to sit through up to 3 or more fade outs and any music/sounds restarting, wouldn't that be jarring and boring to see up to 3 or more black screens in a single story-important event?

Yeah, I'm not doing that, sorry! It'll just be too boring and a bit annoying to sit through a 30 second to a minute black screens between each skippable cutscene. I get why this guy made the script to where it'll fade out just about everything, but I have OCD and I just prefer it not to fade out everything. I can perfectly handle any music resetting and such by myself, heck most of the time the music does not change during cutscenes so the "being forced to fade out and restart music" would just be a unnecessary handy cap for me.

So yeah if you can't edit this to where the forced fade outs are removed, then could someone find or create a new script that does basically the same thing but doesn't fade out anything? I just "really" prefer not to deal with the "fade out everything, even the music, and refade in everything" each and every time for up to at least 40 plus more cutscenes, yeah most are optional but still.

https://rpgmaker.net/scripts/180/

Edited by Darkness Void

You should try the cutscene skip by RPGMakerSource

http://rpgmakersource.com/freebies/systems/

This won't work. While it runs and skips the cutscene it still fades out the screen as well as the audio, and when I deleted the "audio fade in" script and told the other to not read the " Frames for Audio Fade Out." the game just crashes.

Thanks for linking that, but it's not going to work for me as I clearly stated I didn't want the screen/audio to be faded out. And slightly editing it didn't help as it crashed the demo, then again I am not a custom script person. ^^;

Edited by Darkness Void

For RPG Maker Source script:

I just tested with some changes and it worked. There was no fade in or out and the audio started over.

Several lines just need the numbers changed. Not all of these are required. I just found more while writing this. But tested again and it still works.

184 Audio_fade_out_frames = 5 (I tried 0 and it gave me an error)

189 Audio_fade_in_frames = 5

344 Graphics.fadein(0) - was 40

379 Graphics.fadeout(0) - was 20

496 Graphics.fadeout(0) - was 20

565 Graphics.fadeout(0) - was 20

580 Graphics.fadeout(0) - was 20

584 Graphics.fadeout(0) - was 20

829 Graphics.fadeout(0) - was 20

842 Graphics.fadein(0) - was 40

849 Graphics.fadeout(0) - was 20

@Roninator2

I don't want the audio to fade out, hm....why does 0 give a error? You know it to occurs me, and not to sound rude or picky, but why are these scripts too complicated? Just find a way to skip the text boxes, that's really all you need to do for this---right? I'll try messing around and see if I can get the audio not to fade out.

EDIT:Firstly, thank you for putting the line numbers for where to find those. Second, I can't get it to work.... ^^; I copied both scripts over, looked inside the demo, pressing X and Esc but the cutscene won't skip. Is there something I'm missing from the demo? Yeah, I mess with the scripts with the default demo within the same zip before carrying said script onto my game, that way I won't royally mess anything up.

Edited by Darkness Void

What else did you modify besides the numbers? You should just make a backup of your game if you are not sure about the changes being made.

Line 364 is where the button is assigned. :B

Did you set the scene with the labels?

Label: CUTSCENE START

Label: CUTSCENE END

Edited by roninator2

@Roninator2

I told you I looked inside the demo, so yeah I saw those labels and I added them correctly. The only difference is the demo's (Freebies' demo inside their zip) cutscene is longer, does length matter?

"if Input.trigger?(:B)"

Why is that X/Esc btw? Which moves the cutscenes along by default?

No the length would not matter as long as it is on the same tab. So if you had a start cutscene on one tab and ended on another, I don't think it would work.

Unless you can show me either in this thread or by PM what you are doing, then there is not much I can do for you. You said " I modified", so you need to explain what you modified. 

Also the "I told you" makes you sound rude. Looking inside the demo doesn't actually say "yes I put the labels in". For all I know you just played it.

Trigger?:B is the games built in control. When you press X or Esc the game runs as if you pressed B. When you play a game and press F1 you can see under the tabs how you can change those. But not really recommended as most scripts are built with those controls at default.

I'm trying to help you along but I'm not going to majorly modify my project to try and get your settings to work. Sorry.

One thing I did notice was it does not always accept you input when pressing X. So if you pressed X rapidly does it work?

Edited by roninator2

@roninator2

Yeah if I press X repeatedly it works, tho you're likely to hit no by doing that. Maybe I need to tell the script to use another button than B, also seems I do need the audio script otherwise the game crashes. Um----nope, no other button listed in F1 works. At least I can skip the cutscene by pressing X repeatedly, I'll look the script over and see if B is written anywhere else.

EDIT:Done! I changed B to D (which is signed to Z) so you wouldn't need to repeated press it, audio still fades out but at least it fades back automatically----question, how does the save BM work exactly?

Edited by Darkness Void

The Background Music save is to let the game know what music to start playing when you resume BGM. This lets you stop one music and play another then go back. Like when you do the cutscene. Playing music -> save -> play music for cutscene -> resume previous music. I do not think it incorporates the option of saving where the music let off. I think there are other scripts that can do that though.