Having troubles with motivation when working on games (and not only limited to game-dev of course) is a common thing. Many indie developers struggle with this, sometimes it leads to abandoning the project completely. Let's use the 'Scan' skill and take a closer look at one of the most dangerous random encounters.

Procrastination

Exp: Unknown

Gold: Unknown

Loot: Motivation Points | Motivation Boost (buff applied after killing the enemy)

Primary Skill: Distraction

Cautions: Applies 'Demotivation' debuff, that drains your motivation.

Now let's get to the topic:

1. When you're not doing what you've planned to do - what do you do?

Personally when I want to work on my projects (either games, art or music), but I'm doing something else instead, then usually it's:

- (most commonly) browsing forums (making posts and such)

- (most commonly) replying to private messages (I'm receiving lots of them - hours of replying every single day)

- (from time to time) watching Youtube (I'm pretty sure we all know that one)

- (rarely) playing games with my siblings/friends (you all know that one as well)

2. There may be things, that distract you and make you procrastinate - what usually distracts you?

For me, it's:

- receiving private messages

- curiosity to see if something new is happening on the forums and such

- running into a trouble

- just pure lack of motivation

- wanting to do something else / take a break

3. What helps you stay motivated?

Heh, not having internet connection worked for me once. There was nothing, that was distracting me, thus I wrote one of my games pretty fast. Also positive feedback and some contests (due to deadlines) seem to help there.

What about you? Are you a real Procrastimancer?  :D

Falling out of the habit is the only thing that really gets me procrastinating. It causes this negative feedback loop where I'm feeling lousy because I'm not making games and I don't want to make games, or do much else really, 'cause I feel lousy.

The only way I know to overcome that is to just open the editor and get on with it, perhaps easing in by making some random system or whatever it is you like about making games, rather than working directly on a project.

I play games; I tend to get ideas this way so it's "kinda" a win-win.

2. There may be things, that distract you and make you procrastinate - what usually distracts you?

Taking a break

For WOC, specifically, I don't need motivation for it. Tho, playing games can get me motivated.

I've been working on my game for roughly 4 years.

I'm still on the first map.

I feel I need to level up my skills in order to defeat this powerful beast.

In general however, I feel lack of a "team" is demoralising. Adventuring alone makes fiends alot harder, and I can only get so far.

Everyone needs some allies now and then, especially to help defeat OP bosses such as the Procrasination. This has been my nemesis since the beginning!

On a side note, I gotta give some kudos to Riki.

I always love the detail you put on topics like this. You always make things... fun? Your post structures always make me want to participate.

Probably why I loved the old Boss Rush. That level of detail for a minor, dying game was amazing~

What about you? Are you a real Procrastimancer?  :D

It took me about a year to port a half-hour game I made in VXA to MV, and it's only an "as-is" port, and not including finding similar scripts, which means it's still pretty much unplayable.

On another note, this is a pretty nice topic. Putting the problem as an RPG enemy is a neat and creative touch.

Falling out of the habit is the only thing that really gets me procrastinating. It causes this negative feedback loop where I'm feeling lousy because I'm not making games and I don't want to make games, or do much else really, 'cause I feel lousy.

The only way I know to overcome that is to just open the editor and get on with it, perhaps easing in by making some random system or whatever it is you like about making games, rather than working directly on a project.

Ooh I know that feeling. My job is what kinda prevents me from working on games and since it's been a while, I can't really get myself into game-dev lately. By 'lately' I mean almost 5 months...

I totally agree there. Heh, that's why my games are tiny or uncompleted - I like to toy with mechanics, but working on a full game is difficult there. I really can see what you mean.

Reasons I procrastinate:

I was going to reply to this, but I procrastinated too much.

I play games; I tend to get ideas this way so it's "kinda" a win-win.

For WOC, specifically, I don't need motivation for it. Tho, playing games can get me motivated.

I get what you mean. Playing similar games sometimes inspires me to work on mine. Well, that's how my game-dev story started - all because of one game, that motivated me to give a try to make one myself.

Taking a break

Heh, that's an accurate all-in-one answer to this question. ^^

I've been working on my game for roughly 4 years.

I'm still on the first map.

I feel I need to level up my skills in order to defeat this powerful beast.

Grinding on the first map for 4 years? Is this game that hard? :D

jk, that's sad to hear. I know that feeling. D:

In general however, I feel lack of a "team" is demoralising. Adventuring alone makes fiends alot harder, and I can only get so far.

Everyone needs some allies now and then, especially to help defeat OP bosses such as the Procrasination. This has been my nemesis since the beginning!

Hmm true, working with friends would be definitely motivating. Personally I had an occasion to work with @@Nirwanda a little and I gotta admit, it was nice.

I agree. Battling alone usually ends up in using potions every single turn when the enemy hits harder...

On a side note, I gotta give some kudos to Riki.

I always love the detail you put on topics like this. You always make things... fun? Your post structures always make me want to participate.

Probably why I loved the old Boss Rush. That level of detail for a minor, dying game was amazing~

Why, thank you! x3

Glad to hear it's not as silly as I was afraid it to be. (not sure if I worded that correctly)

To be honest I have mixed feelings. Sometimes a simpler build would be more encouraging, due to its simplicity and low amount of time required to read and reply. Though on the other hoof, I like that kind of things and I think they can even be a tiny little bit motivating? Being in the environment of game-references can possibly give some inspiration, just like when playing games.

Anyway thank you for your kind words. :3

It took me about a year to port a half-hour game I made in VXA to MV, and it's only an "as-is" port, and not including finding similar scripts, which means it's still pretty much unplayable.

On another note, this is a pretty nice topic. Putting the problem as an RPG enemy is a neat and creative touch.

Ouh, that doesn't sound good. I've did pretty much the same to be honest. I've moved my game from Ace to Game Maker and... did some basics so far... aaand it's been around a half of a year already. So basically we're on the same boat at the moment.

Glad to hear that! ^^

Ouh, that doesn't sound good. I've did pretty much the same to be honest. I've moved my game from Ace to Game Maker and... did some basics so far... aaand it's been around a half of a year already. So basically we're on the same boat at the moment.

Glad to hear that! ^^

Well, thanks to this topic though, I've started working on it again today, even for just a little... Which should suffice for another 3 months or

Reasons I procrastinate:

I was going to reply to this, but I procrastinated too much.

(I have a really good joke about this, but I'll write it down later.)

Well, thanks to this topic though, I've started working on it again today, even for just a little... Which should suffice for another 3 months or

That's great! ..Even if that's a tiny little progress.  :giggle:

*gasp* A really good joke? *is curious*  :ph34r:

That's great! ..Even if that's a tiny little progress.  :giggle:

*gasp* A really good joke? *is curious*  :ph34r:

Well, you see, I would help you find this joke, but I don't think I got the time... Yeah, that's it, time.

As for me, I tend to take small errors too much to heart sometimes, which spikes my procastination. On a positive side, I have to get artwork done for my game, so there's positive motivation and a reason to procrastinate on my game. XD

Well, in that case I'll have to grab the golden shovel to dig further, but I'll do this later.

As for me, I tend to take small errors too much to heart sometimes, which spikes my procastination. On a positive side, I have to get artwork done for my game, so there's positive motivation and a reason to procrastinate on my game. XD

Heh, I know that feel. But at least you're getting something done! ^^

The game is rigged against me, stuck in a loosing loop.

puts  "Works on game, gets a lot done, feels proud."

loop {

puts  "Work and school gets in the way for some time."

puts  "Weeks later gets back to the project, forgot what the hell I was doing."

puts  "After a few hours I give up."

puts  "Anxiety haunts me"

puts  "I push through and get some work done"

}

Need I say more :(

Oy, procrastination is like, everyday life in pretty much every thinkable situation. It's interesting to see you all analyzing your experiences with procrastination, since I honestly never really brought myself to think about it. I kind of... procrastinated too much to think about procrastination? :huh:

Anyways; I think it's especially interesting for me that you see answering private messages as procrastination, Riki. Replying in WhatsApp (for example) is pretty much like work for me, haha!

Weeeeell, that being said - I think I'd like to try to get to the bottom of my procratination as well!

Most commonly - watching videos on YouTube while lying in bed like a weird cross between a pig and Baloo. Sometimes I'm just napping the whole day. Other variations might be listening to music while staring out of the window with soulless eyes or playing repetitive games. Wow, I'm really lazy- (Sometimes I'm also cooking, though. The food usually tastes gross, but theoretically it's eatble, I guess...?)

I think mostly it's fatigue. I dunno, maybe I just slept very badly or am too exhausted after a day in university so that I just feel like doing nothing at all. Which is kinda funny, since I also feel like I did actually nothing in university as well. I'm not a good student, huh. Whoops? Meeting with friends and other socializing things might keep me from working and sleeping as well, sort of.

However, there is another reason for procrastination that I experience pretty often. It's the feeling of being trash. ...Wow, that sounded more emo than anticipated. I just meant that I'm constantly afraid of doing something stupid or something that's not good enough. It's... a weird sense of perfectionism I guess? I want something to be as good as possible and have so ridicolously high expectations to myself that it's just too hard to get something done, because it's simply not good enough. Do you know what I mean?

Deadlines. (growling thunder can be heard in the distance)

I think we all know the feeling of a deadline being dang close while the work isn't even remotely finished - you probably didn't even start working on it. The panic monster screams and scares the instant gratification monkey off, so you finally find the strengh to work on something in a rush of adrenaline. For me, this feeling mostly occures one day before the deadline. Heh. Speaking of panic monster and instant gratification monkeys - I watched a TED talk about exactly that topic. I really recommend you watching it too, it's pretty entertaining - just look for "Inside the mind of a master procrastinator" by Tim Urban on YouTube. But... do us all a favor and don't watch this video about procrastination to procrastinate.  ^_^

Something that helps me stay motivated in terms of creative works may be deadlines of other projects as well. For example, if there's an important deadline for some term paper or something, I get surprisingly much motivation for working on my game... Oh boy, I'm really not a good student at all.

Other than that, music may be really inspiring sometimes. Also, I think you all can agree with me that nice feedback is a bliss.

...Gosh, writing this post was too much work for me, I think I'll take a nap.

Edited by HeroineOfTime

Most commonly - browsing forums, making posts 

RPG Maker Forums Updatings

Deadlines ( motivated in a sense of panic 😀)

Listen to light music also helps me.