Sign in to follow this  
Dear_Elise

Finding own art style . Feedback ? (once again)

Greetings lost wanderer !

Soooo , for the past weeks , I have spent time drawing a few arts in order to develop my skills but then a major blockup came across my path , I am unable what art style to use .

So the questions are :

- Is it ok to have multiple art style instead of just one? I feels like , sometimes , an art style can be specific to one artist and can even portray their signature , but I cannot be satisfied with only one art style ! Therefore , would it be ok this way ?

- Among those five drawings-drafts ( I actually have a dozen other art styles but I only used four of them with my graphic tab so far .) which one do you actually prefer ?

First artstyle is almost chibi-like with minor shading but a slightly wider color palette for the hair . Its sketchy and colors are solid. Unlike other artstyles , legs are not very realistic and goes from thinner by the thighs to thicker by the feet :

jsQJoPH.png

Second artstyle (I have already published on another topic , I do know) , the artstyle is not chibi-like but not too realistic either . It's simplistic but has a bit of details . Proportions are more anime-like with bigger eyes , bigger head , droopy shoulders , very round features and structure . It has shading and a bit of lighting for the hair. The "outer" outlines are black but the "inner" outlines are lighter and the color is closer to the filling :

2HMbJX3.jpg

Third artstyle is a closer aspect of the anime style but still in a cuter art style . There are a bit more details , minor lighting for the hair and shading  . The "outer" outlines are black but the "inner" outlines are lighter and the color is closer to the filling :

DLHFl61.png

Fourth artstyle is a more realistic in proportions . It has less lighting effect but has a more detailed shadowing ( I guess ) and more details . The outlines and the shading are sometimes a bit smoothed down on the ends . The "inner" and "outer" oulines are both black :

mf1VfxQ.png

Fifth artstyle is quite similar to the third one but with a cuter aspect and the head is even bigger than the body . It has more shading ( there is one shading for the part that is facing the light , and a shading for the part that is hidden from the light source.) It has a bit of details but it is mostly for the eyes and the patterned areas . The "outer" outlines are black but the "inner" outlines are lighter and the color is closer to the filling :

xxjf3CX.png

Thank you very much for taking your time to read this post . It is greatly appreaciated !

Edited by Wisteria D.L

I like 1 and 5 best.

1 can be used for fun, chibi drawigs if you want to make cute and easy characters. Also useful for drawing adorable children~

5 is still a pretty looking style, but more defined. The colouring is vibrant and looks nice.

I also like 4, but it does resemble the DanganRonpa art style (not a bad thing. Everyone shares similarities in their art, and it's what connects us haha~) However, I understand you want a more unique and personal style and want to avoid the "same" styles.

i'll assume you mean artstyle to use for your game ^^ , I think the artstyle would really depend on what kinda game ur gonna make. i personally like 2, 4 and 5 x3 and imo no having multiple artstyle would feel very off because then ur game wouldn't feel consistent, its best to stick with one ^^. visuals are something that people get attached to , having multiple styles will just confuse players playing ur game ^^. 

The only time i could think of right now where multiple artstyle would work is if ur making like a fun anime game , where u can have a normal character and their chibi version for some fun dialogue scenes x3.

i'll assume you mean artstyle to use for your game ^^ , I think the artstyle would really depend on what kinda game ur gonna make. i personally like 2, 4 and 5 x3 and imo no having multiple artstyle would feel very off because then ur game wouldn't feel consistent, its best to stick with one ^^. visuals are something that people get attached to , having multiple styles will just confuse players playing ur game ^^. 

The only time i could think of right now where multiple artstyle would work is if ur making like a fun anime game , where u can have a normal character and their chibi version for some fun dialogue scenes x3.

No , no . I mean , globally . Can you have several artstyles globally , and not only for one single game . 

Obviously , this would look inconsistent haha .

Oh , woops my bad x3 , yea of course you can. and well you should, as i mentioned before ,art styles depend on what game you're making , because if u only had one or even two artstyles , it may not match the kind of game ur making. So it's always good to be flexible x3 

I think you can have as many styles as you want :) Other people's opinions on how cohesive your artwork looks shouldn't influence your creative abilities / what you think you have to create. After all, you're the one making the art, not them!