Takeo212

Leaving The Actor With 1 HP

Hey guys,

Essentially during the introduction/start of my game, the player will be attacked by groups of wolves. However, during the "boss" fight with the pack leader I wanted the player to be KO'd but with 1 HP remaining. Essentially, their near death and can't fight anymore. 

I imagine this can be done with a formula, but if not does anyone know any plugins that may provide this?

I feel the "party has died" trick would be lame and not come off as well but thought I'd see if this was an easy concept or not.

Have you played around with the Immortal State? I'm not sure if it keeps the actor at 1 HP or 0, but either should be workable. You can apply it before the 1st turn even happens in Battle events. Then you can have it check what the Actor's HP is on another page. If Actor HP is less than or equal to 1: Abort Battle or run whatever events you need while still in battle. If the Immortal state allows HP to be zero, and your next events are outside battle, you'll just need to restore 1 HP to the Actor before ending the battle.

Isn't there a way you can start a battle with events, and have it continue if the player loses? I think that'd get you pretty close to what you're looking for.

Idk the syntax for MV (and don't remember it for VXA now that I try to think of it :P) but couldn't you just put the equivalent of ~'partymember.mhp -1' in the formula box?

I was gonna have an in-battle event pop up once you were low enough on HP. I wanted the character sprite to be damaged (like the critical HP sprite to be shown) and for a bit of dialogue. Having them at 0 HP doesn't make much sense and afterwards they are transfered to a small farmhouse's bed to recover.

I haven't messed around with battle events much so I could try a "once actor x HP = 0, event trigger give actor HP +1, but not sure if thats would look correct.

I was considering putting a variable in the boss's formula to prevent it from dropping, but hmm... I'll go mess with it some more :D

This is my karma for not touching the program is a long time. Gotta learn some basics again xD

• Like 1

Hmm, from your description it seems this needs a little bit of a plugin. I haven't been using the damage formula so I don't know if there's a method in there to do so.

The damage formula method would be "b.hp - 1", zero damage variance. You wouldn't want to use max HP, as then if the battler had less than full HP it would kill him, so you'd be using current HP instead. Bear in mind that if the battler were to be Guarding (if he can access that command) the damage would still be halved, so you would also need to make sure you clear the Guard state on the battler before applying the damage (which can be done by battle formula too).

Edited by Traverse

I'm using Glasses' plugin for minimum damage also, to ensure there's no zeroes popping up. I'll take everyone's replies and mess around with it some more. It's not a huge thing right now, but it's still something I want to implement~

Thanks everyone :D

I'll try messing with that formula Traverse, thankies~

• Like 1