Sign in to follow this  
MakerZeroOne

Looking for Art Critique - WIP

Hello everyone.  I'm creating some more modernized/ Sci-Fi icons and hopefully going to move on to even larger pixel arts soon.  Basically, I'm looking for feedback, and critique, as the title says. Currently, I only have a few icons for Ammo, and a couple of modernized grenades.  Basically, every attack in my game that uses a gun, or skill that uses and item, will require ammo from the inventory.  So. here we go.  Mostly, my doubts involve lighting and shading... 

THESE ARE WORKS IN PROGRESS.  PLEASE DO NOT USE, EDIT, OR SHARE outside of this thread.  I Will be posting again when I am satisfied that they are ready to use.

Bokuto.png.61b4cfbd26f785f3c11eebdd265e8f58.png  A bokuto, or wooden katana.
AlienMindControl.png.a63685d538835a7f840ffc563540196e.png Alien Mind Control (Take me to your refrigerator!!!)
EnergyPack.png.8a1af6bd6f202407ac2e0cfca102b822.png Energy Ammo Pack - the bottom is supposed to be a concave cube, whereas the top part is supposed to be cylindrical; silvered metal, with gold bands, and showing glowing red energy inside and at the connector tips up top.... but i'm not sure it doesn't just look flat.
FlashBang.png.1ae18f7cb513f000eb07849216e72fe5.png M84 - Flash bang.  This one had so many sharp angles that i'm not sure you can even tell what it is, or if you can even make out the Pin...
FragGrenade.png.7340e30e130be2d993b46532f26fe747.png M67 Frag Grenade.  The entire thing is OD green... so shading it to represent a light source is kind of difficult.
RailGunSlug.png.dcb386d2539aaf5ce384597a3af1f117.png A metal Bolt or Slug for a Rail Gun.  Silvered metal with angled flanges coming off of the cylindrical core.
SmokeGrenade.png.c3f9a5db154076d490bd61471bd04ddc.png M18 Smoke Grenade Pretty simple, but still kind of hard to draw the spoon on the side at the correct angles and to show the pull pin and the primer on top
HandgunAmmo.png.1623c02d438328af39b9f80d8531b78a.png Handgun Ammo.
RifleCartridge.png.0fe81eaa63eaec0672875d45677ae319.png Rifle Ammo
MachineGunLink.png.92deed05ba3ee04b97c43646606ac9f2.png Machine Gun Belt
ShotgunShells.png.57d7708f6b48c902476160db964908c0.png Shotgun shells in a woven fabric shell carrier

That's all so far, and I will add more as i work through it, and need more icons to suit my game.  Thoughts?

(Once again, these are works in progress.  PLEASE do not use for yourself just yet.  I will release a new thread when I'm ready to share.)

All very good for someone starting out!

The bullets would look better if they were darker and had a more brassy hue. The hangun ammo also looks kinda squished and chunky.

Can't wait to see what else you come out with :)

52 minutes ago, TarqinaPearTree said:

All very good for someone starting out!

The bullets would look better if they were darker and had a more brassy hue. The hangun ammo also looks kinda squished and chunky.

Can't wait to see what else you come out with :)

I was thinking much the same about the brassiness... The problem that i run into, is keeping the cylinders from being chunky, while also shading it so that it looks like a cylinder; as well as including light glare...  But youre right about the handgun ammo, i feel.  i can't help but think it looks like candy corn :/

I'm with the masse here, though I will also point out that the alien mind control looks somewhat like another game's icon XD Then again, who knows, everything thought up of is never thought of the first time, but there's always uniqueness.

13 hours ago, Rezanta said:

I'm with the masse here, though I will also point out that the alien mind control looks somewhat like another game's icon XD Then again, who knows, everything thought up of is never thought of the first time, but there's always uniqueness.

whoa really? what other game? 

Also, this one is a bit more complex. 

R700.png.ff87484206d545f370225abe85f0f8fc.png Sniper Rifle - more specifically the R700.  think the scope is a bit too big?

Edited by MakerZeroOne