captainhellfire

Password System to transfer items and level to new game

Ahoy guys! Hey I'm just wonderin has anyone thought of creating a password system that correlates to the players level and items that they can type into a sequel and start with everything they finished the last game with?

I'm about to release a game in 2 parts and have heard that transfering saves to a new build can be bug central so I thought of this as a possible solution. So basically I'd like people to finish chapter 1, be supplied with a password and then when they start chapter 2 be asked to enter said password. Starting the next chapter with the level and every item they ended the last one. Guess a possible downside is we could be dealing with a bloomin long password here, but even if it was just key items and level thatd be great!

Much obliged for any help, scripts or even peg-legged steps in the right direction with this! :D

Assuming both games are made in the same engine, you could accomplish this without much issue. If you set things up with the transfer in mind, you can simply copy your save file from game 1 over to game 2.

When starting the second game, just start creating switches/variables/new items/etc where you left off on the original game. (If you had 150 switches in the first game, start at 160 or so.) This way, you can reference choices and story progress from the first game, as well as prevent things from getting screwed up by having a switch unknowingly active. This will transfer over your characters, inventory, active switches and variables, and your current location. 

To deal with the location, you have two options. Firstly, you could create a "transfer room" where the players must save in game 1. Then, set a map with an identical layout in the first town of the second game. This option uses the honor system, as if the players choose not to save in the "transfer room" they could end up somewhere unexpected, such as out of bounds, or late into the game.

The other option is to have a switch in game 1 called "Transfer?". Then, in game 2, have a autorun common event that activates if this switch in active (which it only should be if a save is transferred). From there, you could teleport the player to wherever you want the game to start.

One MAJOR note about this! If you decide to do this, both games MUST have the same scripts. If not, the save will likely either fail to load, or crash! 

I hope I explained this well enough. If your confused about anything, I could whip up a quick demo. Just let me know!

1 hour ago, Vis_Mage said:

One MAJOR note about this! If you decide to do this, both games MUST have the same scripts. If not, the save will likely either fail to load, or crash! 

I hope I explained this well enough. If your confused about anything, I could whip up a quick demo. Just let me know!

If im correct, they must have the same scripts but game 2 can have additional scripts as long as they are compatible.

1 hour ago, Lord Vectra said:

If im correct, they must have the same scripts but game 2 can have additional scripts as long as they are compatible.

Did a quick bit of testing, and adding new scripts into the equation does seem really situational. Since most scripts either don't fully work, or throw an error if they aren't initialized (done at start of new game), I'd recommend you avoid adding scripts if possible, but you might be able to get away with some scripts. Just make sure to test things out.