Semolous

Games made with RM are 'automatically bad'

Speaking as an older fella (not in terms of being in the development business, but being 44 years old and only just getting into it), I feel like RPG maker is the best I'm going to be able to do.

While all my contemporaries were busy in school learning BASIC and all the other programming languages, I was out playing football. Now, I'm older, I've been writing since the early 2000s and gaming since Space Invaders, and now I've decided I wish to make an rpg or 10. 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks'. Yes, it's a cliche and stereotype, but there's alot of truth there, too. I don't have the time, money, energy or brain power anymore to get into the technical side of game development. I can't draw for crap, (on or off the computer and I'm poor as dirt so I can't hire someone to make stuff).

I write a good story, if I do say so myself, so RM is the only way I'm going to get my story into people's hands. So, if you want to dismiss my game because it's made in RM, to each their own, but I hope someone will take away something from my 'simplistic' gameplay in RM.

I don't know from other games, but I think it's unwise to dismiss a whole engine because of what a majority of people do with it. That would be like dismissing politics because of all the... wait, I stand corrected, lol.

Not automatically....but a large majority of them are, they're supposed to be. RM is an engine designed primarily for those who are neophytes in the game design world...so many RM games are creator s1st, 2nd, and 3rd attempts at game design. Most people, regardless of talent, will take 3-4 attempts before they start pushing out really polished gems.