Hi, I'm working on a fangame and need to do some (I think) advanced formulas based on skills in that world (Dragon Age).

I was thinking about a formula that added damage based on the attackers MHP. Would (a.mhp / 3 - b.def) work? What I specifically think it does is take the attackers MHP, divide by 3, then subtract the defenders DEF.

A separate question, how can I direct a skill that has the option of (One Ally) to a specific Ally? Like, the player has a party total of 3, a warrior, rogue and mage, but the warrior wants to target the mage ally for a skill, not randomly choosing (One Ally). Is that possible?

What I'd ideally like is a mentor to help me learn all I can about VX Ace. I absorb knowledge quickly.

Thanks for your time,

James

I was thinking about a formula that added damage based on the attackers MHP. Would (a.mhp / 3 - b.def) work? What I specifically think it does is take the attackers MHP, divide by 3, then subtract the defenders DEF.

You are thinking correctly. It will divide the attacker's Max HP by 3 and then deduct the enemy's defense from that to give you the final result which will be dealt as damage.

A separate question, how can I direct a skill that has the option of (One Ally) to a specific Ally? Like, the player has a party total of 3, a warrior, rogue and mage, but the warrior wants to target the mage ally for a skill, not randomly choosing (One Ally). Is that possible?

It's not random. Only random if you choose "One Random" as a scope. If you picked "One Ally", then when you pick the action to activate, you will choose which ally to give it to.

What I'd ideally like is a mentor to help me learn all I can about VX Ace. I absorb knowledge quickly.

I'm your guy. I also played the entire Dragon Age series which I'm sure will help in figuring out whatever you're trying to learn. PM me for contact details. My main program is also VXA so I guess you're in luck.

You want to do the following for that example damage formula:

(a.mhp / 3) - b.def

Even though division naturally does come before subtraction, there are times when Ruby will read that as a.mhp / (difference from 3 subtract b.def), and if that is a divide by zero, then you can run into problems.

What I would do, to polish the formula, is this.

(a.mhp * 0.33) - b.def

Yes, in VX Ace, one has to use a 0 front for float values, or else Ruby will throw a conniption fit, lol

Pretty sure one can simply use .33 in MV, but that's beyond the scope of this.

If you're looking to do a different amount of damage if a state is applied, you can do that via the damage formula too. I don't really remember how, though.