Lord Vectra

Can't do it in one run?

I'm currently working on my XP project. I'm adding guilds and all that jazz and some of them have requirements of joining and them requirements may get higher and higher as you get deeper in the guild. I'm thinking of going with "you can't be the leader of everything" approach meaning you'll most likely have to play the game again to start or finish up certain content you weren't able to finish in your other playthrough(s).

So, which would you prefer?

Have a game where you can't be the leader of everything in one playthrough

OR
Have a game where you can be the leader of everything in one playthrough

I would prefer the one playthrough...unless there's additional added value for replaying it, such as a different storyline for a different character/class, different story paths to choose, new optional bosses/dungeons, new game+, etc..

I am aware of the need of additional value. Thought of a companion system thats similar in that you can't have and/or please all of them (if you even manage to meet and add all of them to your party. I think that'll potentially add additional value but I'm having difficulty incorporating it. Also thought of many story paths on top of many questlines, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I don't think there is much point in not letting you do everything in one run unless each playthrough is significantly different in fairly major ways right from the start and the things you need to repeat over again are kept to a minimum. I could go on about roguelikes again and how they try to present a new experience for each playthrough, but I actually have a slightly more conventional example in mind. Basically any game that lets you select what character you want to play as, either from a list of premade characters options or one that allows you to create your own.

Even then though there are some things that need to be taken into account. If the character options don't allow for very much diversity and basically the whole game is the same no matter what you pick, that obviously makes it seem pointless. Maybe you can end up doing basically the same kinds of things in slightly different ways or for slightly different reasons, but if you are going to make your selections effect things it's best if the game rearranges it's self in many little ways that you see often rather then a few big ones that only show up near the start or the end. Maybe make the path be effected so you follow a whole new route? Maybe make dungeons or other areas optional side areas in one playthrough and have importance to the story in another. If you can't do everything in one playthrough, you need to work at making each playthrough different enough to make it worthwhile. Otherwise what's the point? Why bother making the player repeat the whole game to do one or two things differently?

My favorite example if this is probobly SaGa Frontier. There are seven main characters each with their own storyline, and each is almost like a completely different game while still sharing the same world and a lot of the same characters. For some characters the game is pretty linear and heavily story focused. For others it is very open world and more focused on sidequests. There are areas that are vastly important for some characters that other ones have no real reason to go to. There are quite a few sidequests that everyone can go on but feature different interactions and story focus depending on who you selected as the main character. There are some party members who will join one person's party but not another, and some who are major supporting characters for one person but have vastly less focus for others. Heck, many of the main characters can be requited as optional party members for other people. It makes it more then worth it to play all seven if you ask me. You learn a little more about the characters and the world the more you play. Maybe it's not the same as what you are talking about, but I like it.

Edited by Kayzee

Multiple playthroughs. For starters, it just makes more sense from a realism point of view. More importantly, it put a lot more value on the choices the player makes. That will give the player a better overall experience. You should give the player at least some idea of what the rewards are so they're not just blindly picking one, and of course,  each guilds challenges and rewards should be as unique as possible. 

14 hours ago, lonequeso said:

Multiple playthroughs. For starters, it just makes more sense from a realism point of view. More importantly, it put a lot more value on the choices the player makes. That will give the player a better overall experience. You should give the player at least some idea of what the rewards are so they're not just blindly picking one, and of course,  each guilds challenges and rewards should be as unique as possible. 

Ye, I'm still adding in lv 1 stuff so I havent gotten far, but the plan is to have a wide range of routes in each questline. Currently, there will be a max of 27 and a minimum of 3 endings. I say that because I haven't decided how exactly I'm going to divide the endings.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:16 AM, Kayzee said:

I don't think there is much point in not letting you do everything in one run unless each playthrough is significantly different in fairly major ways right from the start and the things you need to repeat over again are kept to a minimum. I could go on about roguelikes again and how they try to present a new experience for each playthrough, but I actually have a slightly more conventional example in mind. Basically any game that lets you select what character you want to play as, either from a list of premade characters options or one that allows you to create your own.

Even then though there are some things that need to be taken into account. If the character options don't allow for very much diversity and basically the whole game is the same no matter what you pick, that obviously makes it seem pointless. Maybe you can end up doing basically the same kinds of things in slightly different ways or for slightly different reasons, but if you are going to make your selections effect things it's best if the game rearranges it's self in many little ways that you see often rather then a few big ones that only show up near the start or the end. Maybe make the path be effected so you follow a whole new route? Maybe make dungeons or other areas optional side areas in one playthrough and have importance to the story in another. If you can't do everything in one playthrough, you need to work at making each playthrough different enough to make it worthwhile. Otherwise what's the point? Why bother making the player repeat the whole game to do one or two things differently?

My favorite example if this is probobly SaGa Frontier. There are seven main characters each with their own storyline, and each is almost like a completely different game while still sharing the same world and a lot of the same characters. For some characters the game is pretty linear and heavily story focused. For others it is very open world and more focused on sidequests. There are areas that are vastly important for some characters that other ones have no real reason to go to. There are quite a few sidequests that everyone can go on but feature different interactions and story focus depending on who you selected as the main character. There are some party members who will join one person's party but not another, and some who are major supporting characters for one person but have vastly less focus for others. Heck, many of the main characters can be requited as optional party members for other people. It makes it more then worth it to play all seven if you ask me. You learn a little more about the characters and the world the more you play. Maybe it's not the same as what you are talking about, but I like it.

As of now, there is a minimum of 27 companions which will each have their own backstory, banter, and an approval/hate rating that effects things like obeying you, persuading them, their banter will be more joyful or more hostile when directed at you, and since you can only have 2 companions at once, it does matter which two you bring as two conflicting companions may have a rough road ahead.