CoGDork

[OPEN] Dork's Music Corner--Good Music, Low Prices!

My philosophy:

There seems to be a trend in incidental music (music for games, movies, shows, etc.) for what I call "extreme ambience," that is to say that the intent is to make the music so far in the background you barely notice it. Now, don't get me wrong, a more ambient soundtrack is definitely better for genres such as horror or suspense, but outside of that, the best soundtracks in history are the ones that provided a character all their own. What would "Star Wars" be without that massive orchestral fanfare to open up with? Would it really be a Mario game without those catchy platforming melodies that you can't help but hum to as you leap and run through each level?

All of my music--save for horror commissions--is based around the same formula that made the classic game soundtracks of yesteryear work: a strong melodic background that conjures up imagery and will stick in your players' heads after they're done, giving your game a truly memorable soundtrack that they'll associate with your game forevermore.

My influences:

Nobuo Uematsu--the guy behind Final Fantasy music for those who don't know--is my single biggest influence in terms of game music in particular, though my focus on imagery-inspiring music comes from Koji Kondo (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc). Outside game music, I find inspiration in the works of Romantic composers such as Tchaikovsky, as well as film composers such as Max Steiner, John Williams, and Danny Elfman.

My business model:

You give me details of what you're looking for, and I'll do my best to make something to fit. I'll give you a free preview of the work--if you like, I'll even give you a preview of the work while it's still in-progress so you can hear what I have so far--and if you have ANY reservations or complaints at all, I'll immediately fix them in whatever way you want. I will never charge you for a product you're not 100% satisfied with!

And my commissioned work thus far (NOT available for use by anyone other than the commissioner):

My list of rules:
  • Try and give me a specific idea of what you want beforehand. For example, what is the context of the music (Love theme, Sad music, Town music, Character theme)? Is there something specific about the context to take into consideration (Tragic/happy love story, Village/City/Port town, Hero/Villain/Comic relief character)? What kind of instruments are you looking for? The more specific you can get, the faster I can get it done and the better the quality will be!

• I only accept paypal, all contact via PM.

• Use of my original stuff is free for non-commercial use only. If you want to use it in a commercial project, you will need to pay for it (see below).

• I reserve the right to put any composition I write up on my Youtube channel. The channel serves as a portfolio of sorts; if you don't want the piece to be publicly available, you will need to let me know in advance. That said, if you allow it, I will of course give credit to you and your game so that other people can't steal it for their own project.

• I don't work on strict timetables. Good music can't be rushed; if you need it in a certain amount of time, I will do my best to have something for you to hear within the general area of when you want it, but I can't guarantee with absolute certainty that it will be completely finished by then.

• You MUST give me credit (as Casey Kendall/CoGDork) in the credits of your game. This is obvious, really.

Pricing is as follows (all prices in USD):
  • Commercial License for Original Music (per track): $5

• Short jingles (10 seconds or less): $3

• Small ensembles (1-3 instruments): $5

• Medium ensembles (4-8 instruments): $7

• Large ensembles/Full Orchestra (9+ instruments): $15

NEW BUNDLE DISCOUNTS!
  • 5-Jingle Bundle: $10 (instead of $15)

• 5-Small Bundle: $15 (instead of $25)

• Commercial Collection License Bundle (use ALL of my original stuff in your commercial project): $20

All of these examples are for looping pieces. If you want a full-length epic theme that doesn't loop, the price is negotiable based on the number of instruments and the length of the piece. If you want to commission a full soundtrack, that is also negotiable.
Edited by CoGDork