Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to rpg maker and just getting used to how events work. I ran into a small issue regarding how I would go about putting an event over a door. What I aim to do is have a carpet, and an option to move it, revealing a door underneath it. Would anyone have suggestions of how to do this?  Basically, how can I have an event OVER another event?

image.png.30b673afae79c829da80049d343b326e.png

Edited by agpicklefeet

You would essentially have to make a graphic for the carpet. Take a screen shot and cut out the section you want, then either put it in your tile sheet for that map or have it as a graphic file all to itself and load it in as a character sheet. Would probably need a $ in front of the file name. I would say the graphic in the tileset would be easier, but up to you.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to use a single event with multiple states? I mean, it would be easier to have a 'covered state' and an 'uncovered state' using a switch or self switch and multiple pages. But on the other hand, I can see how having them both be different events could be useful in some situations, like if you wanted to give the player the ability to move the carpet in anyway they wanted. Problems are that: A. While the game engine handles two events on the same tile fine, the editor doesn't allow it (you can still do it, you just have to move the events over one another manually through scripting), and B. I am pretty sure using the action button to start an event will start all of them on the same tile.

I would be willing to use a single event with multiple states! I already have the carpet able to move and show the door, but I cannot figure out how to make the door useable. How would you suggest I do this with multiple states? 

If you want to use multiple states, you need to have the carpet and the door as one object which doesn't move and only changes what it looks like. Easiest way is just have two event pages one for when the trap door is covered and one for when it's not. You can probobly make it look like the carpet moves though. Ever used the 'Quick Event Creation' menu to make a door? it's a good example of using event graphics to make little animations. It's also helpful to note that event graphics can actually be pretty large if needed.

Edited by Kayzee