Kargan3033

Permanent Death Mod?

I was wondering if there is a permanent death mod for the secondary active party members as well as the main character?

Meaning if an active secondary party member died in battle the player can not simply reload a save slot before the death of the active secondary party member and the dead secondary party member will be alive.

In the case of the main character if the main character dies then the game is over and you have to restart the game from the beginning and you can simply reload a saved game from before the mian character's death and continue on from there.

Also would the perma death mod be optional like the hardcore mode in some games so it can be activated from the game's option menu? 

Edited by Kargan3033

I don't know of an existing complete script for this exactly. The basic idea to get this to work is just to have the game autosave over the active save slot, and there are quite a few autosave scripts that exist that might help I think, but I don't think anyone has complete a script to do this exact thing yet.

I actually did something like this myself, though my game doesn't have party members just the main character and it's not optional. The complication is how you deal with backup saves. I myself just recoded it so you choose a save slot when you start a game rather then let you freely choose a save slot whenever you want, but that dosn't really account for manually coping around files or quickly closing the game window before it has a change to save. I have some ideas about how to fix that but a determined person will always be able to savescum somehow. :3 I don't think my solution is real that idea for you because it really changes how saving works in a major way to try and restrict the player being able to create copies of saves.

Edited by Kayzee

1 hour ago, Kayzee said:

I don't know of an existing complete script for this exactly. The basic idea to get this to work is just to have the game autosave over the active save slot, and there are quite a few autosave scripts that exist that might help I think, but I don't think anyone has complete a script to do this exact thing yet.

I actually did something like this myself, though my game doesn't have party members just the main character and it's not optional. The complication is how you deal with backup saves. I myself just recoded it so you choose a save slot when you start a game rather then let you freely choose a save slot whenever you want, but that dosn't really account for manually coping around files or quickly closing the game window before it has a change to save. I have some ideas about how to fix that but a determined person will always be able to savescum somehow. :3 I don't think my solution is real that idea for you because it really changes how saving works in a major way to try and restrict the player being able to create copies of saves.

I see, given how long VXAce has been out you would think some one would have come up with a perma death option.

I'd like to hear your ideas but I'll let you know I'm a complete newbie to VxAce.

46 minutes ago, roninator2 said:

I think that rogue like option is what you may want. 

I heard of a rogue like script that deletes the save file when you die. So maybe that's it?

I have never heard of this before so I have no damn idea of what you are talking about, but it does sound interesting, thanks for the tip off.

Yeah, I am probobly just especially picky about it because I can be. I feel fairly comfortable with scripting in VX Ace, so I can afford to experiment and do off the wall things. As a new person I don't at all expect you to be able to do much more then you can with existing scripts. Most of my ideas are totally not going to work well for new people. Even so, it's good to think about this stuff.

It's surprisingly difficult to do a permadeath system in a fairly foolproof way, and there are lots of things you should account for if you are able to. Like, what about crashes? It wouldn't exactly be fair to lose all your progress because the game crashed right? But you don't want to let them exploit crashes either. There is the problem of copying saves like I already said. I just implemented one of my ideas on that the other day... Right now my game keeps track of the save slot number and timestamp of save files. Basically coping a save to another slot or using a back up save will set a 'trickery' flag. I could easily treat the save as 'dead' when the trickery flag is set, but honestly I am thinking of just letting the player off with a warning or doing a Mr. Resetti type rant. Because like I said, a determined person will always be able to savescum somehow, or otherwise cheat the system.

Because even with that there is still the problem of the player simply closing the window if something doesn't go their way. If you autosave as soon as something bad happens it can make it really difficult, but you can't expect to autosave all the time. That would cause slowdown and other problems at least. There are a few ways you can fiddle with win32api stuff to stop you from being able to close the window normally, and there is at least one solution I saw that uses a DLL file to run a script on exit, but you can still manually kill any process without giving it a chance to save anything I think.

Not to discourage you or anything, because a lot of these problems are not going to matter for most people and they are common enough in many games with permadeath anyway. Don't worry too much about it, but you should be aware of how a player could cheat the system anyway. In the end though? If permadeath makes the game more fun then cheating is punishment enough it's self.

Anyway, I have seen the idea of permadeath being tossed around, I just don't remember any scripts for it. But if rommy here says there is a roguelike death script floating around, that might work along with an autosave script, I just don't know about that script.

Edited by Kayzee

Yeah, I am probobly just especially picky about it because I can be. I feel fairly comfortable with scripting in VX Ace, so I can afford to experiment and do off the wall things. As a new person I don't at all expect you to be able to do much more then you can with existing scripts. Most of my ideas are totally not going to work well for new people. Even so, it's good to think about this stuff.

It's surprisingly difficult to do a permadeath system in a fairly foolproof way, and there are lots of things you should account for if you are able to. Like, what about crashes? It wouldn't exactly be fair to lose all your progress because the game crashed right? But you don't want to let them exploit crashes either. There is the problem of copying saves like I already said. I just implemented one of my ideas on that the other day... Right now my game keeps track of the save slot number and timestamp of save files. Basically coping a save to another slot or using a back up save will set a 'trickery' flag. I could easily treat the save as 'dead' when the trickery flag is set, but honestly I am thinking of just letting the player off with a warning or doing a Mr. Resetti type rant. Because like I said, a determined person will always be able to savescum somehow, or otherwise cheat the system.

Because even with that there is still the problem of the player simply closing the window if something doesn't go their way. If you autosave as soon as something bad happens it can make it really difficult, but you can't expect to autosave all the time. That would cause slowdown and other problems at least. There are a few ways you can fiddle with win32api stuff to stop you from being able to close the window normally, and there is at least one solution I saw that uses a DLL file to run a script on exit, but you can still manually kill any process without giving it a chance to save anything I think.

Not to discourage you or anything, because a lot of these problems are not going to matter for most people and they are common enough in many games with permadeath anyway. Don't worry too much about it, but you should be aware of how a player could cheat the system anyway. In the end though? If permadeath makes the game more fun then cheating is punishment enough it's self.

Anyway, I have seen the idea of permadeath being tossed around, I just don't remember any scripts for it. But if rommy here says there is a roguelike death script floating around, that might work along with an autosave script, I just don't know about that script.

Thanks for your input Kayzee.

Given how long VXAce has been out one would figure some one some where made a perm death script.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner been feeling ill as well as being busy.

Well, permadeath Isn't really a very well established mechanic outside of roguelikes. I mean the exact details of how it works isn't really that set in stone, and that makes it harder for people to design generic scripts. Like I said though, there are 'autosave' scripts which can do some things you might want, but depending on the details and how picky you are about it you might not find that enough. I am going to release my own system eventually, but I don't see very many people getting much use out of it unless they want to make a roguelike thing.

Hehe, neat! I did wonder about that roguelike script you were talking about. The system I made works a lot like that though with a bit more complexity. I use checksums (switched from timestamps) to look for if the saves have been fiddled with as I said before, plus I have saves you make when you save and quit in a dungeon have a 'suspend' flag so it sort of 'deletes' it's self (really it marks the save as 'dead' since I am using 'soft' permadeath where death just gets rid of your items and sends you back to the start as opposed to deleting everything) when it's reloaded (to prevent you from manually closing the game to go back to an older save, though if you save and quit it will save another suspended game). Like I said though, it's pretty easy to cheat systems like that if you really want to and I am not sure if it's the best fit for the exact type of thing asked for here. Still it's a start right?

It will probobly need to be modified a lot if it's going to be optional. I see no reason why it couldn't be optional though, it would just take some recoding. Hmmm... I am kinda tempted to fix up and release my version with this in mind actually, but that will have to wait for a bit if I do since there are things getting in the way of my coding right now.

You can use persistent data script for this. I made one for XP, and I'm sure one for VXA existed as well.

The idea on "how the script is used" is like this:

When someone dies, a Boolean  variable turns true (let say the variable name is 'hero_n', and this variable is set to be persistent), and save the variable via script call (usually provided by the persistent data script itself).

Upon load completed, check those 'hero_n' variables (they're exist and have updated values from previous gameplay because they're persistent). If they're true, kill the hero tied to the variable. That's it.

You can turn the Boolean variable for main hero to false in the beginning of the game so that when the main hero dies, player need to restart the game from beginning, and then they can reload.

Sorry for my lack of references. Gotta go fast. XP

Edited by Black Mage