Triacular

Virtual tile size?

I am attempting to make a battle system similar to Deltarune's battles. I asked what things to change in the code to remove the walking grid. I was told that I should reduce the size of the virtual tile size. I'm wondering where the code for the virtual tile size is.

I know that Game Maker is a thing, but I can't afford it.

I assume that what they meant by 'virtual tile size' is to change Game_CharacterBase's screen_x and screen_y code so it multiplies a character's x and y by something other then 32. I don't quite see the point since @real_x and @real_y can be floats, it's not going to change any of the collision code anyway, and you would just make the grid smaller instead of removing it. To properly remove the walking grid a whole bunch of the default scripts basically need to be thrown out and recoded. I am not sure if any VX Ace script really does this right, but I do remember at least one somewhere.

Though if you are trying to do this in a new battle system thing, then you are better off just writing the whole thing from scratch using a loop that reads the player inputs and move a sprite around the screen and checking for collisions yourself rather then using characters.

Edited by Kayzee

I assume that what they meant by 'virtual tile size' is to change Game_CharacterBase's screen_x and screen_y code so it multiplies a character's x and y by something other then 32. I don't quite see the point since @real_x and @real_y can be floats, it's not going to change any of the collision code anyway, and you would just make the grid smaller instead of removing it. To properly remove the walking grid a whole bunch of the default scripts basically need to be thrown out and recoded. I am not sure if any VX Ace script really does this right, but I do remember at least one somewhere.

Though if you are trying to do this in a new battle system thing, then you are better off just writing the whole thing from scratch using a loop that reads the player inputs and move a sprite around the screen and checking for collisions yourself rather then using characters.

Thanks for the info! I tried to make the X and Y smaller, but it reduced all map borders. I then added an IF statement to toggle battle mode

$Delta_battle = false

if Delta_Battle = true

(Modded X/Y)

else

(Original X/Y)

end

It only chose the modded X/Y, even with numbers instead of true/false.

I decided that making the system by scratch would be a bit easier, until I realized that the built in RUBY manual didn't clearly describe how to spawn a graphic or how to make a conditional loop. Though I think I can and should code it myself; I just need to know where to start.

The VX Ace help file has a section under Game Library for RGSS Built-in Classes where it explains all the graphical object classes. Long story short, all you have to do to make graphics pop up is to make a object with the Sprite class and set it's bitmap to an object of the Bitmap class. The built in scripts subclass the Sprite class to add more functionality and there are other special classes that do different things, but the basic Sprite class is enough to do most things. Viewports are also handy to know about because they give you a way to group Sprites together as a group.