ReemusX

Just bought RPGVX (not ace) - new and have a question

Spent most of my time in Unity and Gamemaker but wanted something nice and simple so I can focus more on my story lines and actions instead of coding 95% and 5% actually going anywhere...

So, I saw that RPG VX was on sale for $12...so, I figured why not... no sense messing with trial restrictions like most other types of software.

I started watching a tutorial channel but it seems that literally EVERY SINGLE tutorial is based on RPG VX ACE... I know they are essentially the same but the one thing I seem to be missing that is very important to my game idea are the random encounters (like a FF1 style of play)... I noticed that the "regions" icon is missing from my VX. I ran a search in help for region and do not see any results. I have also not found any info on whether or not this is a feature only in Ace?

Again, I am new to RPG Maker and already stopped until I figure out whether or not I have wasted $12.

Edited by ReemusX

I've never used VX, and not even sure this is what you're asking... but if I remember correctly, on most of the rpg makers, if you're looking to change the frequencies of the encounters you can do it on the map name.

Left hand side under the tile set - where you create and name your map, if you right click and edit it, you will find encounter rate. Or step rate... or something.

This controls how often you get random encounters on the map.

Of course, for specific battles like a boss battle, you can use events.

I hope that was what you are asking and hope it helped a little.

Edited by BillyX

4 hours ago, BillyX said:

I hope that was what you are asking and hope it helped a little.

Totally not what he was asking.

8 hours ago, ReemusX said:

whether or not I have wasted $12.

That's up to you. VX is an older software. In fact VX Ace is old as well. But almost anything you find will be VX Ace or MV. Ace uses scripts and MV uses plugins.

There are a lot of scripts for Ace, but they are slowly disappearing. Some people are trying to preserve them. If you want something new, get MV.

The best thing you have right now with VX is the asset package (graphics, music). You can modify them or use them in other versions of RPG Maker.

*EDIT ... to answer your question, yes VX does not have the regions option.

Edited by roninator2

@roninator2 - Ya. It was a toss up, but then I read this part and thought maybe... just maybe it was what he was asking.

10 hours ago, ReemusX said:

be missing that is very important to my game idea are the random encounters (like a FF1 style of play)...

Meh. At least I tried. Haha.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, ReemusX said:

whether or not I have wasted $12.

OMG!  A fellow VX user!! You did not waste your money; I assure you! I still use VX and I prefer it over ACE. Nothing wrong with ACE but I started on XP and VX back in 2008 so both of those engines have a special place in my heart. 🤗

Now, on to your dilemma: map regions. This can be fixed easily with DerVVulfman's Terrain Tags & Tileset Editor. It allows you to assign each tile with a number much like the region IDs. What's more is that it comes with its own nifty editor!

HOW TO USE

1. Install the Tileset Reader script above the Main script. (attached to post)

2. Install the Tileset Reader patch UNDER Tileset Reader but ABOVE Main. (attached to post)

3. Click Apply > OK > then close RPGVX.

4. Launch Tileset Editor. There's a menu on the right that shows you the controls and how to add/edit/remove terrain tags. IMPORTANT: Before you close the editor, make sure you save your settings by pressing Ctrl! This will create a Tileset.rvdata file in the editor's folder.

5. Go to your game's folder then go to Data. Put the Tileset.rvdata file in the Data folder.

6. You're good to go!

TIPS

• If you're using custom tileset graphics for your game, copy them and paste them in the editor's Graphic/System folder.
  • Need to edit the Tileset.rvdata file? Simply place it back to the Tileset Editor's folder and launch the editor.
  • Want to know what terrain tag a player is stepping on? Use this script call: 
    Spoiler

28rgzgn.jpg

You might be thinking, "This is too much for a simple region ID". But, if you're skilled enough, you can play with this script to do whatever you want. I have quite a few (a lot) more scripts for VX if you should need them.

You can have something like this in your game which uses terrain tag 1 as the water tiles (TDS Reflect; attached to this post)

Spoiler

309pys9.jpg

Tileset Reader Patch.txt

Tileset Reader.txt

TilesetEditor.rar

TDS Reflect.txt

Edited by Abscond

This is how you search for RPG Maker VX stuff ONLY.

Type in RPG Maker "Vx" [X] -Ace -XP -MV
Type it just like that with quotations and replace X with whatever you want but take out the brackets around it.

I preserve many of the scripts I find in notepads since scripters are starting to not bother updating their older scripts and some can be hard to get in contact of especially if they left RPG Maker.

I hope that answers your problem and for your question, it's not a waste. Vx is useful like any other engine. Some changes people like and some changes people dislike from engine to engine, so it's mostly subjective to which one a person considers the most useful and what they consider a waste.

Edited by Lord Vectra

I personally believe that each RM engine has its' own set of features that makes it unique. Whether you 'wasted' your silver or not depends on what you're going to be able to make of the engine. The region tiles are not a thing in VX, but one can create regions of a square or rectangular nature that will handle encounters, if one goes by the VX Standard and not the helpful editor provided by another VX power user (I will be looking into that myself).

Thanks everyone for the replies. I kind of rushed to RPG Maker after an extremely frustrating issue with Gamemaker and 4 months of work corrupted down to the backup file... And now there is no longer support for 1.4x ..anyways off that.

I figured VX and VX Ace were the newest according to the site but MV is the newest? So far I really do like both VX and Ace (I decided to trial Ace). Something I had mentioned in my question was about the FF1 style... I am curious if the old FF1, FF2, and FF3 (All NES and SNES versions US) style of combat can be scripted or used in RPG Maker? I have always been a fan of the "Left side vs. the Right side" type of combat in RPGs... Is one reason I wasn't the biggest Dragon Warrior fan...although still like it...

@ReemusX In XP/VX/VX Ace, there are scripts for side-view combat (what Final Fantasy and most other JRPG series uses), though the compatibility between scripts will vary. In MV, side-view combat is an included feature, though if you want to switch between the two in-game, that's something you'll have to code in yourself (I've played one game like this but I don't recall the game's name). Anyway, VX Ace is definitely worthwhile...

17 hours ago, ReemusX said:

(I decided to trial Ace)...

Hold up. Imma PM you.

18 hours ago, ReemusX said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I kind of rushed to RPG Maker after an extremely frustrating issue with Gamemaker and 4 months of work corrupted down to the backup file... And now there is no longer support for 1.4x ..anyways off that.

No problem; glad to help! Did my reply help you with what you were looking for or to do?

Awesome! I will look for those scripts. As far as coding and making my own, the RPG Maker looks really cut and dry and simple compared to Gamemaker and the year I have spent total with it. I might be making my own scripts for a few things I have noticed in VX Ace so far I would like to have in (unless I find them somewhere). I'm already working on my own tile sets and music right now to catch up what I lost in other engine...but for now I am making a little "tester" game using all the features in VX Ace I can so I can get more familiar with it.

I'll have to search for that FF style battle script as well.

@ReemusX
Scripters I know that have great stuff:

Yanfly

Galv

Victor Sant

Tsukihime

@Kayzee (even if she's a bit unorthodox)

DoubleX

Fomar

@Rikifive (a very helpful person when around)

LockeZ

Estriole

Calestian

There are others but names don't come to mind at the moment, and I myself have done some small edits here and there, as well as created a bugfix that no one cares about, but the Battle Test bug exists so if you run into it, I'll be happy to send you the fix.

*appears in a puff of smoke* I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED! Hehe. You've done it now PS! You woke the mighty coding fairy from her slumber!

Anyway, I have never used VX myself, but it seems to me from what I know about it that it really doesn't offer anything that VX Ace doesn't. I mean XP has free layered maps so I can see why people stuck with it. VX Ace is the last one to use Ruby and I really like Ruby so I decided not to move to MV. But VX doesn't seem too different from VX Ace in terms of features, unless I am missing something. I don't know for sure, but that's what it looks like from what I have seen of it.

Yes, looks like I will need to learn this Ruby language a tad... Have found a couple of side battle scripts but they seem to toss errors all over the place. About to inject a basic one in and then possibly start working my own animations in... We shall see.....Appreciate the feedback.. I am sure I will have more questions lol. Already finding that some things I want to do have videos.....but are literally 2012 and the methods no longer apply..or changes were made since then.. Like the Khas lighting ended up being a disaster for me last night after following the tutorial...

I used Khas' lighting for a while myself. It has a number of problems for sure. Like for example, saving the game doesn't work in Khas's lighting while the lights are on. Not really normally that much of a problem I guess because most saving is done through the menu scene where the lights aren't being displayed anyway, but it's still pretty silly that it has that problem. I still had to heavily modify the script to get it working like I liked and eventually I just threw the whole thing out and did my own. Only thing I never quit figured out was how Khas' lighting did it's wall shadow effect, which is kind of a pity but not really that important to me. I guess I should release my lighting script sometime, but it might be difficult to use. I think there is another one by Victor too that might have some tutorials around.

You know it's funny, I never found video tutorials all that useful. They all seem to me to spend more time mucking about than I have patience for and if there is some nugget of information I actually am interested in I often have to skip around to find it. Plus if I use it as a reference I have to go back to replay parts manually. I mean, I donno about you, but I much rather just have text with some screen shots. Soooo much quicker to skim through and get the information I need without watching someone flailing around. Ones on coding are the worst because you just know there is going to be about 500 mistakes that aren't edited out and serve nothing but to waste time... OOops, there I go ranting about something dumb again. Sorry, sorry.

Anyway, yeah, I like Ruby myself, but Javascript isn't actually that bad either, though I have never tried to make a MV plugin myself (done a bit of Javascript before for web pages, but not much). I do recommend learning to code at least a little with whatever you want to use if you have time, because I think dealing with other people's scripts/plugins becomes a lot easier that way.

Edited by Kayzee

I agree Kayzee, spent a year in Gamemaker and a little in Unity..and felt like I was spending more time writing code and actually not getting my game idea along. Since it takes half a day (without copy pasting) prepping a small map to spend a week writing code for it....

Some of the tutorials vids helped when I first fired up RPG Maker...but after I saw the events vid I took off on my own lol. My lighting is fixed for maps with a simple event...but for some reason it also causes the battles on that same map to be at the same levels (in this case, almost too dark to see anything).. So I am assuming I will need to write a script for the battles in caves etc.... Not looking forward to it this early but hey....no one said it was going to be easy lol.

Depending on how you do it, lighting isn't necessarily that hard to figure out if you ask me. But I tend to be pretty good with messing around with graphical effects anyway, so I am hardly a good judge. The basic idea is pretty simple though: Make a Sprite, set it's blend_type to 2 (or Sub), set it's bitmap to a reverse color image for your lights. You can do it by setting a picture with events if you want. It's a lot more tricky to do if you want more dynamic lights that move around and stuff though. Same basic idea, you just need to draw stuff on the image yourself.

I wonder if people would find it easier to code stuff like this if I made a simple way to create and dispose Sprites properly beyond pictures. The VX Ace help file describes all of the attributes Sprites can have in RGSS Reference >  Game Library > RGSS Built-in Classes > Sprite, and once you got one to be created and disposed properly it's pretty simple to set attributes. Probably still to complex for most new people though...

Edited by Kayzee