axiobuild

RBS (Ramiro's Battle Engine) x Yanfly Engine, problem with parties larger than 4

This is RBS for those that haven't heard of it.

I have been using this script paired with Yanfly Engine, battle system, and character switching for a year. Battles have been testing fine and the scripts are perfectly compatible... until now. It's something I never bothered to test before because everything was working fine.

As you may known, Yanfly's character switching allows ROSTER sizes larger than 4 (not party size; my battle parties are limited to 4). However, when a 5th character joins, and I attempt to run a battle, I get the following error.

The relevant bit of the script looks like this (bolded is the line that's called out in the error)

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # ? Get battle screen x position
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------   
  def screen_x
    return 0 if !self.index
    return @custom_screen_x ? @custom_screen_x : BattleConfig::ActorPos[self.index][0]
  end

I am not a scripter and don't really have a handle on what I'm looking at. To me this module is pretty clear about what it DOES, but I don't know what's producing an error. I looked through the manual on Ramiro's blog (linked above) but couldn't figure it out. Again, this error ONLY occurs when 5 or more characters have joined the team. So my only guess is that RBS is trying to call info for the other members even though they are not actually in battle.

What really confuses me is that, this isn't a new feature with Yanfly, is it? VX Ace could always have (unlimited?) characters join the team, but no more than 4 active battlers. So would RBS also break without Yanfly?

I will gladly provide more script, as I'm guessing the error is happening earlier in the script. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me problem-solve! I tried contacting the author directly, but it's been many months with no reply.

Hey Axio,

Sounds like one script is saying no don't put this actor in the battle and the other script is like mi ahoy let's add the actor in. This battle system is known for incompatibilities with yanfly and is the reason why I don't actually use it and just use Theo's battle system. But that's not really a fix for you. I don't have a lot of know-how with scripts other than knowing that a scripter would have to come and make a compatibility. I think the interference is actually in drawing the actor sprite to the battle itself, that's why you won't see a problem without yanfly as I am fairly sure YEA is trying to read the typical ace battle system. I think my biggest suggestion is load order. Maybe try changing your load order so that Ramiro's battle engine runs first or if that's how it is already, maybe flip it so YEA runs first.

I'm not much help, but if no scripter comes to suss it out for you then I highly recommend looking into TheoAllen's battle system, he is easy to contact, and he treats the engine like it's his baby so he is always happy to help and he's nice as well. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:48 AM, roninator2 said:

Where did you get the script?

The links on Ramiro's site are dead except for one.

Without being able to see the script no-one is going o be able to help you.

Ah, I'm sorry about that. I had no idea the links were dead. I guess that confirms the author has vanished! I will attach the script with the error.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:34 AM, Knighterius said:

Hey Axio,

Sounds like one script is saying no don't put this actor in the battle and the other script is like mi ahoy let's add the actor in. This battle system is known for incompatibilities with yanfly and is the reason why I don't actually use it and just use Theo's battle system. But that's not really a fix for you. I don't have a lot of know-how with scripts other than knowing that a scripter would have to come and make a compatibility. I think the interference is actually in drawing the actor sprite to the battle itself, that's why you won't see a problem without yanfly as I am fairly sure YEA is trying to read the typical ace battle system. I think my biggest suggestion is load order. Maybe try changing your load order so that Ramiro's battle engine runs first or if that's how it is already, maybe flip it so YEA runs first.

I'm not much help, but if no scripter comes to suss it out for you then I highly recommend looking into TheoAllen's battle system, he is easy to contact, and he treats the engine like it's his baby so he is always happy to help and he's nice as well. 

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try the load order, although Ramiro's instructions were to put Yanfly first. It's worth trying.

As for TheoAllen's battle system, if RBS proves to be unusable, I'll switch over. I took a look and it seems packed with features, although I'm hoping it's easy to drop into my project as a replacement (without too much customization). I don't want too much flashiness, but it seems this system gives lots of control over that. RBS was the only good side-view system I found when I began my project, so I just stuck with it. But this suggestion may change things for the better!

RBS - classes.txt

19 hours ago, roninator2 said:

So in the first part, does it give you any errors if you add in a 5th actor position?

ActorPos = [[480, 200], [485, 220], [490, 240], [495, 260]]

Incredible. It worked--for now. Needs further testing--it needs to work for 11 simultaneous party members.

Thank you!!

EDIT: yes, it's working for a full party! Thank you again.

Edited by axiobuild