hello, I don't know exactly what to write for a greeting, I recently got RPG Maker MV and I will need all the help I can get to get started figuring this out, this is my first time getting serious about getting a game out there, I am excited to see how this all goes.

so, any tips for a newby?

Hey there and welcome to the herd!

The first tip I can give: Start small. Your first project(s) will most likely be really bad, due to lack of knowledge and experience. It's best to toy with the engine and make few small silly games first. Otherwise you may end up redoing things many times and not really achieving anything. :P

Good luck! ^_^ 

Hey! Welcome to the group :)

I definitely agree with Riki. You'll get experience as you go from doing small stuff and of course experimentation. Also! Don't be afraid to be super active here, it's a nice community but a little quiet these days but being active will help make friends and of course help in making your game...or in procrastination. hehe

*sprinkles fairy dust on the new person* Hmmmm.... You don't look creepy to me... You look cute! Not that being cute and creepy are mutually exclusive mind. I think I for one manage both pretty well sometimes. I mean I am a fairy after all! We tend to do that. But... That face just looks so cute and innocent! It makes me want to play with you! *giggles and smiles just a little too widely*

Hmmm... I don't really use MV, but my advice works for just about anything: Have fun! Don't let your time making a game become all stress and deadlines and seriousness! Try and relax and not worry so much. Too many people get burned out, so take your time okay? :3

Like @Kayzee, I too am not that well-versed in MV (if I EVER GET BETTER HARDWARE THIS WILL LIKELY CHANGE), but I do know a few tricks in the advanced department if you ever need them, but agreeing with @Rikifive here on not focusing on that at all, at least at first. I do believe that was my mistake when I first got involved with RM on the PC (the console versions give you far less leeway and even less open-ended access akin to RM 2000/2003), though to be fair, probably the worst mistake I made was thinking that I could trust certain people when it came time to try to get more than one person involved. Be careful in that department (though here you'll find plenty of semi-trustworthy if less reliable people here to aid you so no worries there xD).

In that regard in fact, avoid asking people on the following sites for aid:

Deviant Art (places that have paywalls and staff that don't give a sh*t about anyone are bad in general)

Facebook (the trade pages are not reliable)

Twitter (that's one of the flagship sites for global censorship-bad place to do any sort of business)

YouTube (Farticles 11 and 13 are surely going to destroy any sort of marketability there)

Instagram (as for YouTube, same for this one)

In fact, just avoid major social media altogether, and when it comes time to market your product, use itch.io for your storefront, Bitchute and Steemit to post videos of your game/content, and Gab.ai for spreading the word about it. But, that's just notes for you to jot down for future reference.

Until then, bonne chance, mon ami. Oh, and be sure to hit that Like and Subscribe button before you go. (sorry, I had to leave that joke because you hear it all the time, lolz)

Well, welcome.

Start small, ask for help, and learn to code, those are good tips.

oh yeah, the art and music are also important, but you should first learn how to program.