PhoenixSoul

passives A random thought on passive abilities that do different things depending on action taken...

I've played video games many. I've seen many different things that a certain something can do when in inventory or is a skill or a passive effect, etcetera.

Lately, I've played games where it seems that a single passive ability can do different things depending on whether the player is moving, or if attacking with a certain skill, etcetera, but one thing that I've rarely seen is the detriment to the player where attacking normally costs the player Vitality/Health/HP. The only recent example of this I've played recently is in Mega Man Unlimited, when you play as Zero/Z-Prototype; all attacks cost Vitality, some more than others. Thing is, whenever Zero lands a hit, it restores Vitality. It restores 1 unit of Vitality per hit; the basic attack costs one unit, whilst the Z-Saber costs three (I think-might be four), and the Syoryuken two. Deflecting projectiles (passive ability when Zero stands still) doesn't restore nor cost Vitality. It's also the only technique Zero has that doesn't have any related cost other than double movement speed. The air dash costs two, or three I think, and the ground pound is one unit.

Some enemies can be smashed in one blow from Zero, but registers several hits, thus a good way to heal.

This is just something I was thinking about as something that could be a thing in an RPG or something (like if implemented into LoZ or something action-oriented), while playing MMU.

For VX Ace, pretty sure there's a script out there that could enable this sort of functionality, though not so sure how useful it would be to have in a turn based game...
I dunno, anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I have seen something kinda like this in some turn-based RPGs. I remember a game I played not to long ago had a character who's heath would drain slightly every round, but would drain hp when they attack. That's not quite what you are talking about, but sorta close. It would probobly not be too hard to have a passive skill that was only in effect when an actor was using a skill or an effect that triggered when an enemy dies though.

Though on the subject of action games, the thing about MMU and other such action games is that all of the characters basically use 'states' for their animation/movement/AI. Not states as in RPG Maker states, I mean states as different possible ways the character can look/act. Each setting what animation/pose to use, what special code to run, what state to go to next, and so on. My usual goto example of a game that uses states is actually Doom, and in particular how ZDoom lets you define states. It can get complicated but the basic idea is you have a graphic, a duration, and a 'code pointer' that defines what the state actually does (and can jump to other state labels). I think most action games that use any kind of complex animation use some kind of similar state logic, cause it can be really hard to do a lot of stuff without it. Look how many action games handle attacking, with a noticeable animation sequence that will last x amount of time even if the actual attack only is a few frames of that sequence. It's pretty easy using this kind of system to create characters with abilities that only trigger when they are in some states.

RPG Maker though doesn't really use this type of state logic because the behavior of it's characters aren't usually that complex. Closest it comes is move routes and event pages, but they come short when it comes to making some complex attack animations and stuff most of the time. Still possible, just tricky.

@Kayzee I remember SMBX acting in the same manner. Hell, it even has sprite sheets that clearly define what action is for what lua coded state. (I tried getting into that but it's way detached from Ruby beyond the point of me being able to convert what I already know into usable technique for lua).

Another pretty good example might be fighting games. The implementation may be slightly different in different games, but the idea of state logic is fairly common I think.