KChasm

Using an item in a particular location to set off an event of some sort?

First of all, apologies if this isn't the right forum for this.

I've been trying to set something up in my game where you go to the menu, go to your items, use a specific item in a specific place, facing a specific direction, and this causes something to happen. It's that "in a specific place, facing a specific direction" part I'm having trouble with, though. I've heard tell you can set this up with common events, but I haven't been able to find any good tutorials that set up what I'm looking for - the closest ones I found have the player activate an event, which calls up the item menu, when I want the player to call up the item menu themselves.

Can anyone explain how I can accomplish what I'm trying to do?

(One more thing - the item I want my player to use is currently a key item, but that doesn't have to be necessarily so. I'm perfectly willing to just have it be a regular item, albeit one that doesn't disappear from the inventory until it's used in the right place.)

Edited by KChasm

You're not the first to do this sort of thing.

Actually, thirty years ago, Square did this with all key items in Final Fantasy, though it was area based for the most part (a few items did require standing in one spot facing a specific direction).

But yeah, roninator got this on the nose; I would of demonstrated the same method.