I need a 'shatter-kill' effect for my Frozen state. Basically, when a target is frozen & is hit with a physical attack, there would be a random chance for that target to die instantly. I need a way to pull this off with a sound effect. I don't care if its done by plugin or damage formula.

I considered something similar for Overworld. I wanted the top teir ice spells to have a chance at freezing enemies. I also wanted Vega to be able to invent a freeze gun that blasts enemies with a powerful cooling agent similar to liquid nitrogen. The gun had a 100% freeze ratio, but 'shattering' was not left in the hands of chance. I mean if I punch a block of ice, it won't shatter. If I hack it with a sword, it might chip, but not explode. However, if a mage used an Earth spell to drop a boulder on it, or Vega used some form of explosive, it would logically shatter.

I would suggest considering defined methods and limitations for shatter-kills, so it's never as easy as mashing attack on a frozen enemy.

I also suggest complimenting this by playing with the other magics. I like when fire can burn targets, taking sequencial damage away, similar to the classic poison. Earth spells and some physical attacks could also cause bleeding status effect. Water spells can cause soaked status, amplifying any electric damage.

I love having fun with battle systems. Nothing worse than a basic system when you have to use it thousands of times.

This seems like it should be possible via eventing.

Edited by That One NPC

1 hour ago, That One NPC said:

I would suggest considering defined methods and limitations for shatter-kills, so it's never as easy as mashing attack on a frozen enemy.

16 hours ago, Animebryan said:

there would be a random chance for that target to die instantly.

I also suggest complimenting this by playing with the other magics. I like when fire can burn targets, taking sequential damage away, similar to the classic poison. Earth spells and some physical attacks could also cause bleeding status effect. Water spells can cause soaked status, amplifying any electric damage.

I usually already incorporate these in my games, as each of the 8 initial elements has a negative status effect tied to it;

Fire - Burn/Burning

Ice - Freeze/Frozen (possible shatter-kill)

Thunder/Lightning - Paralysis/Shock/Stun

Water - Wet (resistance to fire & burn [removed by fire as well], weak to thunder/lightning/ice & paralysis/shock/stun/freeze/frozen)

Earth - Petrify/Stone

Wind - Confusion/Slow/AGL Debuff

Holy/Light - Blind/Instant Death to Undead

Dark/Darkness - Blind/Instant Death

This seems like it should be possible via eventing.

Its not. The editor is extremely limited, especially Battle Events. Besides, by nature, a check would have to be performed to see if damage was caused by a physical attack. The only real way to even check for that is through a script call, which isn't easily done in battle. Nothing short of a plugin which applies advanced effects to states & checks for actions in battle can accomplish this.

16 hours ago, Animebryan said:

Basically, when a target is frozen & is hit with a physical attack, there would be a random chance for that target to die instantly. I need a way to pull this off with a sound effect. I don't care if its done by plugin or damage formula.

Again, I suggested expanding the method so it's not so simplistic and easy. It would be a better feature if it actually increased physical defense, forcing the player to have some shatter method at the ready. It could alternatively be used to just put an enemy on ice for several turns - quite literally. If you have very difficult, intense combat in your game, this would compliment it even more. If it's more of an auto-pilot masher, rando physicals would probably suffice and avoid becoming a logic punchline.

I'm actually a strong believer of the KISS concept. Simplistic is the better way for my game. Its literally a 'Grind-fest Gacha' game & games like that actually benefit from having shorter battles or otherwise players begin to lose their patience & burn out.