KChasm

I'm definitely programming something wrong here, but for god's sake, what?

So I've got a puzzle in my game wherein you place four cards in four picture frames (plus a fifth frame in the room over), and if you press a button in the next room and all the right cards are in the right picture frames, the door opens. Else, you die.

Problem is, I'm doing...SOMETHING wrong, obviously, between my events and my common events and the scripts I've got. When facing a picture frame, you should be able to select any card from your items to place it within, but for some of the cards you can't, while with one of the cards you can. In addition, when you slip a card into a frame and then examine a frame you're supposed to receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the card again, and sometimes, uh, you don't get that prompt. In fact, you get the "this frame is empty" message instead.

An exact rundown of my problems:

Frame 1: Can't place any card except the Ace of Clubs

Frame 2: Can't place any card except the Ace of Clubs

Frame 3: Can't place any card except the Ace of Clubs. In addition, after placing the Ace of Clubs, I get the "empty picture frame" message upon examination.

Frame 4: Can't place any card except the Ace of Clubs. In addition, after placing the Ace of Clubs, I get the "empty picture frame" message upon examination.

Frame 5 (in next room): Frame 2: Can't place any card except the Ace of Clubs

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I *definitely* don't know why it's the Clubs only that sometimes works.

Any help would be appreciated. My game so far can be found at the following link, though I can't remember if in the save I've had the player character take the Ace of Hearts off of Frame 5 yet (that part works fine, at least).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qpt52dg6yjnj48t/French_Castle.zip/file