Sign in to follow this  
That One NPC

My Thoughts On Endgame and the MCU [Spoilers]

tumblr_p63raflt5X1x8xbgbo1_1280.gif

Two completely useless side characters walk into Vormir...

All jokes aside, this was a cluster-fuck of epic proportions no different than its predecessor. My main beef is that they rushed Thanos, whilst bringing in a ton of new characters that served 0 actual purpose due to his hasty arrival. After eleven years most of the senior cast are ready to move on, but it serves as further evidence that a comic universe cannot be turned into a film universe without a healthy dose of compromise every step of the way. As a huge fan of comics growing up, Disney and the MCU have done nothing but let me down. And even with all the hype and the novelty of the ensemble cast, both Infinity War and Endgame managed to let me down.

Thanos was a great villain. I mean he won. He defeated them and accomplished his goal, which is arguably not so heinous. The culling was actually for the good of everyone. Every planet. Thanos himself gained nothing, but instead sacrificed everything to see a prolonged future. One where everything wasn't destroyed by overpopulation and the problems it creates. Titan stood not as a relic from his backstory, but as a cautionary warning to us. That's what is so captivating and truly great about Thanos as a villain. Wash away the morality and human emotion, and Thanos isn't so cut and dry. It was actually that Marvel cosplay group that couldn't own their failures, and once again raised hell to reset the universe back on a course of premature destruction.

That leads me into the weak pot. Not much actually came together when you consider the scope of the MCU at present. Newer characters like Captain Marvel, Spiderman and Black Panther did virtually nothing. It was just another Tony Stork movie with way too many cameos. I didn't like the direction they steered it in. All of a sudden it's some kind of soap opera. They find Thanos in a cabin and kill him within like 30 minutes. Then Thanos in another timeline starts plotting to destroy the universe and rebuild. This is why they should have stuck to comics instead of dicking around with it - but it's Disney and they won't so.

It blows my mind how they can finally make Black Widow useful after all these films by killing her off before her origin film drops. Now everyone will go to see it and cry through the entire movie, and no one will even make a mental note of how Disney legit operates you like puppets with this crap, lol. I respect Warner because they let it be DC Comics, and tried to keep things half-way civil at the same time. I'm not paying to see Joss Whedon's fan fiction, I want MARVEL, lol. Something like 7 X-Men movies was agonizing enough before I started watching Avengers "just to say I did". I regret having done so both as a fan of story telling, and Marvel comics. 

I can't say enough about how the six women of the MCU got the short end of the stick for the last 11 years. In that way, I guess it's sort of like golden era comics. Which reminds me of Widow.

Two useless supporting roles walk into Vormir. You immediately think to yourself, who plays Lord Elrond again? I shouldn't joke, this is a very serious scene. (It's Hugo Weaving, and seeing he and Cate Blanchett work has been the highlight of this franchise thus far) You immediately think to yourself, who is it going to be? Which severely under developed sidekick is going to take one for the team? And as they have a random fight to settle it, I find myself having a difficult time deciding who to even root for. Hawkeye has done nothing. His only real development is having a family, which kinda makes you think it should be Widow because she's just a cardboard assassin. But then I think about the fact that the women of the MCU have got almost nothing so far. The only one who isn't a loyal follower of a male character is Gamorra. So by the end I just want Hawkeye to shut up and toss her over the edge already. Widow is an OG character, she deserves something before curtain.

Hate how they tried so hard to create a plot where everyone did something to help, but it was literally all Tony, all day. For those who don't actually know your comics, having a Marvel verse centered around Tony Stark is awkward and broken, lol. When Captain America is always there, it's even worse. When Captain America is played by a goofy, baby-faced millennial, it's next to impossible to take seriously as a legit adaptation. But I'm having faith that one day the industry will turn around and it will be based on art and story rather than data and psychology. 

I'm just glad this lag of the nightmare has subsided.

Edited by That One NPC

But as a blockbusting action packed film it was superb.

Many books and comics do not translate well to film, especially as once you read a book you have a preconceived idea of the characters in your mind, 

For what it was, it was entertaining, well made. No punches were held on the production end. But the important thing to keep in mind is how the MCU came to be. Marvel didn't sell themselves because they were doing great. They declared bankruptcy in 1996 when the bottum fell out from beneath comic sales.

Truth is, Marvel started licensing early films like Blade and Dare Devil, to reach the people who would otherwise never read a comic book.

Disney could care less about comic fans, they're still reading comics. They want to get to everyone else. And they succeeded by creating films that are unvirsally safe and marketable. The MCU's idea of character developmemt was almost non-existant until Infinity War.

Marvel won't even let you soak in the deep scenes, because a side character like Draxx or Okoye wedge a joke right the middle of it. (Gotta keep people laughing and feeling good from open to close ;) )

This sort of compromise in artistic content for the sake of safe sales just rubs me in all the wrong places. But Disney has a way of making anything seem amazing. They have a mystical power of some kind.

I love you 3000?

I don't ever want to hear another Martha crack from someone who knows diddly squat about Batman's character. -_-

Edited by That One NPC