FranklinX

How do players feel about MV's traits?

I was going to make a topic about traits, and realize I need to consider the players' feelings. They are the people who are playing our games. Their opinions on our games matter. We want to give them a positive experience, and an experience to relive by replaying our games. How do players feeling about MV's traits?

I am adding traits to my characters to make them unique. It also provides strategies for the player to use. Players will be rewarded or punished for using the wrong party members for a major battle. I think this idea is fine as long as the player has the options to switch party members before those major battles.

This is a bit confusing at first glance, and even after reading it, it sounds more to me like this is asking two questions in one question.

MV, it is a platform designed with modern, far more powerful machines in mind. It also leaps from Ruby to Javascript, which means that a lot of well-versed Ruby coders would have to relearn their workflow if they were not already familiar with JS.

As far as MV's 'traits' go, the features are on par with VX Ace, with improvements here and there, though there seems to be less RTP stuffs (missing music, among other things), and not everyone cares for the sprites, though the side view sprites are decent.

Now, to answer the other question. What exactly, are 'traits'? I mean, in the specific manner of which you speak, because...that could mean a number of different things to other people.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I am referring to Actor's traits. You can make actors strong or weak against certain elements. You can also make them immune or very vulnerable to status effects.

Yeah, I mostly use VX Ace too, and it looks like 'traits' are another name for 'features'. At first I thought it might be a type of learnable passive skills like D&D feats, which I didn't think MV had as a built-in thing. I myself use a script to create some in VX Ace and I rather like it as a way of customizing traits/features. My game only has one actor in the party at a time though so I think it's a bit more important to allow that kind of customization in my case. I even have it so the player can turn them off and on in the skill menu if they want! I could probobly fudge it so the player had a max number of points for passives to be active at once, but I don't think it's needed in my game right now.

In general though, traits/features are pretty important! A game with party members that are exactly the same isn't really that fun. Even if they only differ by what kind of equipment they can equip, you still need traits/features for that. I say go as crazy with it as you want. If you want a party member who is a salamander man who is immune to fire but can't stand the cold, why not? :3

Though if you are doing this, how about I make a suggestion: See if you can find a plugin that lets you switch party members during battle. Like you said it's fine if you allow them to switch before battle (and probobly should anyway), but being able to switch out a party member who just isn't working for another (probobly at the cost of their turn) in the middle of the fight is pretty convenient for the player and also can be tactically interesting.

Edited by Kayzee

Sorry for the confusion! I stopped using XP, VX, and VX ACE after every update. I forgot those systems use the term "features" instead of traits.

That's a good idea Kayzee. Switching party members would give a better experience to players. They won't feel trapped in an extremely tough fight. They will either tough it out or reset the game.

It are also makes bosses with multiple phases where they change their attacks/weaknesses or other tactics where they change how they fight mid battle easier to deal with.

Mostly unrelated to traits, but on the subject of switching party members in combat I played a game ages ago called Unlimited SaGa that had an interesting way of doing it: Every round of combat you could choose 5 attacks from any party members and they would just kinda jump in combat for that round if they were doing something and jump out of combat if they weren't. Only exception was if they were hurt or unable to move they wouldn't be able to jump out and their slot would be occupied until another party member rescued them. Just thought I would share that, though I don't expect anyone to try and replicate it. I thought it was a really interesting style of combat, but not sure if it can be replicated well in MV anyway or if it's even a good idea to try.

Edited by Kayzee