Verdiløs Games

Entertaining Races

Hello!

There is something I have noticed while playing, watching and reading things. That is, why do races seem to be much like the human race? In things like fantasy and sci-fi, you are bound to find races other than human, but they all seem very human like. There may be a few anatomical or societal differences (dwarves are shorter, elves are taller), but othe than that, they seem the same. Races always seem to use the same pronouns, for instance. He, she, they, or it are always used. Constantly. I think it would be interesting to see other cultures (not just woodland or mountain, for instance), pronouns, gender roles (or lack thereof), etc. instead of "spicy human".

Well, I did notice on your game post how you used a new pronoun for the alien. Honestly I am not too sure how to feel about that. I mean, the thing about making new pronouns is that if everyone is otherwise just speaking English and you throw out an alien word, it's kinda jarring. Though admittinglly English borrows words all the time, so it would make a degree of sense if it was borrowed for some new concept of gender. Like for a race that has three main gender roles, none of which really are directly parallel to 'male' or 'female'. But if you do do that, I wanna know how it works, especially if they have three sexes too. Give me the messy details yo! Though what about a race that doesn't even think gender is a meaningful construct, or understand what it is, and/or their language just doesn't use gendered pronouns at all and the whole idea baffles them a bit?

I guess the major reason people don't actually do this kind of thing very much is that most of the writers around here are human and only really know how to write humans. Heck I used to be human myself, but being a fairy is more fun! Yeah, I guess a fairy could count as a 'spicy human', but we can be extra spicy sometimes. Can humans fly and sense magnetic fields? I think not! You can't even turn to look ana or kata! Poor humans stuck living in only 3 dimensions...

Edited by Kayzee

I think one of the best examples is from the MegaMan franchise. Humans, robots, and cyber elves, navis, and viruses are all different races with different levels of intellect. Viruses are more like a different race for animals. Each race has different abilities. However, the humans control the politics since they created the other races. Well...they controlled the politics until the time between the X and Zero series. MegaMan X becomes a politician and fair ruler of Neo Acadia.

There are key differences between each race. Robots, cyber elves, and navis can live forever unless someone or something destroys them. They are immortal from natural deaths. Humans are not immortal and will die of old age at the least. Furthermore, some robots do not have characteristics of humans. Storm Eagle is based off of an eagle, and Cyber Peacock is based on a peacock and the internet.

Really only classic Megaman characters (and maybe some of the minor enemies later) are robots, X and his 'decedents' are 'Reploids'.  Though there is an interesting wrench thrown into the mix if you want to count them as different races: The exact difference between all of those 'races' can be kinda vague and gets even more vague as the series as humans are enhanced to be more reploid-like while reploids are constructed to be more human-like. Personally my headcanon is that reploids are actually constructed in capsules via nano-technology and never really were 100% robotic.

In the Megaman Zero series it's often hard to tell who is human and who is a reploid anymore, by the ZX series humans and reploids are basically at the same level, and in the far future of Megaman Legends (yes it's on the timeline) the distinction has vanished completely. Plus X become a cyber elf himself eventually and one could also argue that viruses like the sigma virus are basically prototype cyber elves. Navis... Well that's a whole other alternative universe, but one could argue they are pretty much the same thing except I don't think Navis can physically move about as some kind of energy/spirit like the viruses and cyber elves can. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually could though. Maybe the energy/spirit forms are really a cloud of nanomachines or something. Nanomachines explain everything! Just ask Senator Armstrong!

Anyway, that kind of technological trans-humanism also reminds me of the Orion's Arm universe which is basically hard scifi set 10,000 years or so in the future and also has it's share of 'races' some artificial, some natural, some physical, and some purely vitrual and also has 'transapient' beings which could count as both a race and as an individual. It's pretty amazing, and is definitely full of the type of stuff this thread is talking about.

I always thought of Reploids being the revival of humans anyway. To me, Dr. Doppler is a rebirth of Dr. Light, Sigma of Dr. Wily, to a fashion.

Oh, you haven't heard of some of the races of beings I know. Triangular shaped ears are just an adaptation to being one with the Aether and is a fantastic advantage, but even humanoids can have this (some do to a fashion even on Earth). Anyway, a trader girl I know, Zauvai, she has delectably dark skin, and very triangular ears, she's an absolute darling, but not elven or fae. She's part Takami, a race of humanoid beings that evolved to have more powerful alimentary canals. @Kayzee would know what I mean. Their ears are triangular in shape, and also flex in four directions. Zauvai can't flex her ears, but has a larger hearing range, akin to her genetic heritage.

I know very little about the Takami, but I do know some of their customs, and one of them is that the Orasaraviu (translates to 'invalid male') that are found to be incapable of being able to do heavy, laborious tasks, are sent off to be hunters, and failing that, are made brides and/or handmaidens, referred to as Rassaravuijo (translates to 'bitch girl' or as 'slovenly girl'). Of course, some Orasaraviu choose to be femmes fair, and as soon as that decision is made, they are always given to a suitor as a bride if a suitor is available (Takami are against polygamy though exceptions exist-I know not any further details than that though), and are otherwise given to a mistress as a handmaiden, unless they choose to and/or are already partaking in some sort of business trade. I know not, if Zauvai is a trader by choice, or she is a bride/handmaiden of one of the others in her caravan, but I do know that she certainly doesn't act like she's part of some sort of forced union. If I see her again, I'll be sure to talk with her more about it since most of the last time we had met was about... (stuff that I can't talk about here)
I'd love to know how she's only part Takami; I don't even know that much.

Reploids and robots are not the revival of humans. Their purpose is to work alongside the humans by doing jobs that are too dangerous for humans. Eventually laws changed due to Reploids being immortal to natural death unlike humans. Humans and reploids started to become very similar. It would eventually led to Carbons in the MegaMan Legend series.

You don't see many humans in the X series because they are acting the background. Dr. Cain is the only human showed in the series. Other humans are referenced in the game's backstory and politics.

You can also use the Super Mario series as there are many races in that series. Humans, Toads, Koopas. Yoshis, etc. The RPG games do a great job at highlighting each race's cultures.

I only mentioned Reploids, not robots, though to be fair, I meant to mention that this was my thinking a long time back.
(Yeah, I have issues with when having a lot to say, sometimes some of what I intended to say gets lost and/or skipped. I don't know why this is.)

As far as the Mario Bros. series goes, there's a lot of convolution in the lore and the people of that series, and of course, the movie adds to that by being more confusing when diving deep into the lore it presents. Thing is, I don't really think that there was going to be much more to it than a platforming game where some guy in overalls rescues a damsel in distress, and the characters having names at all was initially an afterthought that wasn't given much thought until popularity zoomed like it did for the first Final Fantasy, a far cry from their previous game series, Rad Racer (though that game series is fun in its' own right-shame they never finished Rad Racer III).

True, Paulina is the damsel in distress in Donkey Kong, but the one that saves her was originally unnamed, just one of those blue-collar 'Joe Everyone' people. It wasn't until DK was remade on a more advanced platform (Game Boy) that Mario was the named hero. Mario's original game is Mario's Cement Factory (I love this game and I wish I had one of the original G&W releases of it-they're kinda rare and hard to get at a low price), but even then, Mario was really just another 'Joe Everyone' person back then.

I don't really think the Mario Bros. series actually had any clear, distinct characters until after the second official game, Mario Bros. 3 (Mario Bros. 2 (NTSC-U/C && PAL) is a reskin of Doki Doki Panic and I always refer to said game as Doki Doki Panic), and even then, there was not a lot of clear distinction. Sure, there were names and roles but the lore was still very convoluted, and it was the same period of time when the movie came out. I would consider the movie a derivative story based on the Mario Brothers, and little more. Also, what is a Toad? A Toadstool? A Koopa? Is Yoshi just a dinosaur? Are Yoshi and Birdo somehow related?

Any time I look deeply into the series, I always end up with many more questions than answers, but then I just press start and play World 1-1, and say 'F*ck it.' lolz

Yeah, there's my take on it. I don't even consider SMRPG canon. Nope. Like the movie, it's another derivative story based on the Mario Brothers. It's an awesome game, though, don't get me wrong. In fact, any of the RPGs that star Mario are great, well, the three I've played anyway.

I've not played past Mario 64 with exception to the spin-offs like Mario Kart, Mario Party, SSB, the DS remakes of Mario Bros., but none of the new mainline titles, so I don't have a lot of information on the likes of some characters other than what I've been told, like Rosalina for example, and don't even get me started on this oddball fandom involving a specific powerup combined with Bowser (you know what I mean @Kayzee! lolz) because that is some serious bonkerball madness...

21 hours ago, Verdiløs Games said:
23 hours ago, Kayzee said:

I-I have no idea what fandom you could be talking about PS *hides her Bowsette body pillow*

There is no shame in liking Bowsette. I too like her!

I honestly don't really know much about the fandom other than it all involves that one powerup (I forget the bloody thing's name e.e), and that there's a few Game Theories surrounding the fandom and/or the item itself, but it's still bonkerballs.

I mean, Bowser transforming into a yandere chick...unnn...lolz

You are not alone. RM resources historically suffer from a lack of ethnic representation and diverse species. The default resources tend to have a cartoon'ish aesthetic that can easily appeal to a younger demographic, despite being used to create everything from horror to hentai games. This cartoony vibe doesn't help or thrill me, either. but Ace's RTP was actually decent for balancing the tone and aesthetic of the characters. I like worlds full of complex, vastly different characters. As a creative writer of RP, it helps with fleshing out every aspect of a setting. Like I get obsessive, and I know it can help me with making a great game where towns have culture, and character, and history that you can see and read. A game where you want to talk to npcs because they each contribute to the texture and identity of a given setting. I used to hate dealing with NPCs in most older rpgs because they are useless and boring. You get trivial little hints peppered everywhere, the rest used to make commentary about larger plot figures or as raw filler. I don't play that game. Everyone should have a purpose and story, or they aren't needed at all.

Edit: This is the meaning behind my name. You ever get a point in a game where you need to find an npc you ran into a long time ago? But you can't recall where he or she is at, what he or she looks like, you only have the name from dialogue instruction. So you have to go to the specified town, door to door, body to body until you find, that one npc. This is because that game, despite how objectively amazing it may be, had boring npcs that didn't really matter. It's not because it was a bad game, bad anything, it was just a style used to save space and reduce clutter in the game world. Sadly it's still used today. NPCs are generally useless. I don't like that because I flesh my stuff out to make it memorable. it's all about player experience. I want you to remember Henry, his wife and his three kids from the farm outside of Crooked Valley, as soon as you see his name.

I love entertaining, developed races, but it's a hard thing to do with RM unless you can sprite and draw face sets. Most of the time you find a cool looking non-humanoid and that's it. Either they all look exactly the same, or this character is the only member of it's species in the game. It's disheartening for the artistically challenged developer. One sometimes - I would argue often - thinks we'd be better off not using face sets for certain projects, because a crippling weight is lifted from it when you do.

I have been working on different races for the loose leaf sprite materials, simply so that we can all sprite up more entertaining races for our games. Customized races so that we can sprite entire towns of creative races, and visualize some of that culture at the same time.

Edited by That One NPC