FranklinX

What is the best program to record game footage for a trailer?

HI guys! I need help finding a program to record my game's footage for a trailer. What is a good program for recording game footage for the RPG Maker? I would prefer a free program without any watermarks. However, I am open to purchasing a product if the price is reasonable.

Thanks

Blueberry has a free version without a watermark, but you don't get a fully working version of the editor and you only get one file option. The downside is outweighed by the fact that there are video editing softwares for free that can also export to another file type.

OBS is good, popular software for recording games and not only and it's totally free.
If you have an Nvidia graphic card and Nvidia Experience installed, you should have its recording function built into the overlay. This is a good option for capturing a game.

If you have Windows 10, it also comes with a recording function built into the Xbox overlay, you can press WIN+G to bring it up. Haven't used that one yet, but I guess it gets the job done.

As for editing, well I use VEGAS, but it's not free, nor cheap unless on sale. There are some free alternatives, but I haven't really tired them yet.

I think I used OBS and OpenShot to make mine, but I don't think the quality turned out that good, it's a bit blurry. I think that might be because it was recorded at lower quality though. I recorded the clips in the same resolution as thy were displayed, and I think that might make things blurry due to the way the compression works, so maybe I should have doubled it? Was kind of a pain in the ass to record since my lappy is slow though.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I will be downloading OBS and start working on a trailer after chapter one is completed! I use Wondershare as my video editor so I'm good to go with OBS. 

Thanks again!

Lately I'm using Nvidia's overlay to record games and the quality is really decent. OBS is also working well for me. It might require some trial and error to get the correct settings, but the materials I recorded were in a decent quality.

Even VEGAS by "default-ish" renders the video in worse quality afterwards, but once bumping some settings higher or using the special OBS preset things are fine.

edit: Never heard of openshot, but it looks and sounds intriguing. I think I'll give it a try one day and see what it has to offer.

Edited by Rikifive

Well, I think there is always a trade off between quality and file size you gotta be aware of. Video files can be insaaaaaanely large. Like gigs upon gigs. So most videos are highly compressed. Think is though the compression is always lossy and makes things blurry and introduces artifacts. But, well lets say a game only runs at 640x480. I think in the end it works out that a modestly compressed 1280x960 video is still way way WAY smaller then an uncompressed 640x480 video, and if you scale it with nearest neighbor instead of trilinear filtering or something, it will probobly look a lot more crisp too because the blurs and artifacts aren't as large. Don't quote me on that though. I mean I could assume there might be a way to take thousands of losslessly compressed .PNGs for each frame, and a 640x480 .PNG isn't that big is it?

Edited by Kayzee