MasterMoes

RPG Maker VX Ace 999+ events on map?

So I have a huge problem...

I have a 500x500 map in my game, and it just recently reached it's maximum of 999 events on the map. With my game being an open world game, I need to break that limit of 999. I've looked around for a script or add-on that allows me to go over 999+ events on a single map, but I couldn't find anything. FYI, I can't split the 500x500 map into smaller maps, it would completely break my game's gameplay system (it's very complicated and strange). Most of the events don't move; Most of them have the graphic of trees (I do them through events because the tilesets are so limited). Anybody know how breaking this limit could be done? By the way, I have an anti-lag script that works great, so I have no concern for creating lag with 999+ events.

This is probobly a limit of the editor and not the game, since I am pretty sure there is no hard limit on the number of events in-game. It's impossible for scripts to change anything in the editor, so any events beyond 999 will probobly need to be added with scripting.

Also, you do realize how insane a 500x500 map is right? Honestly even if you have an anti-lag for insane numbers of events, just having a map that big might be laggy enough on it's own. I don't know how splitting the map would 'completely break' your game's gameplay system, but really dude? I approve of using events for trees and stuff though! See that's how you make details on a large map people, not making insanely large images to use as map backgrounds. Seriously, if you have to use super large maps don't use parallax mapping. Imagine if this 500x500 map used it? It would need a 16,000 x 16,000 image. That would need at least 768,000,000 bytes or so of ram to even load wouldn't it?

I swear every time I hear of someone using these monster sized maps I want to code a seamless chunk loader thing. Too bad I am so darn lazy.

Edited by Kayzee

11 hours ago, Kayzee said:

This is probobly a limit of the editor and not the game, since I am pretty sure there is no hard limit on the number of events in-game. It's impossible for scripts to change anything in the editor, so any events beyond 999 will probobly need to be added with scripting.

Also, you do realize how insane a 500x500 map is right? Honestly even if you have an anti-lag for insane numbers of events, just having a map that big might be laggy enough on it's own. I don't know how splitting the map would 'completely break' your game's gameplay system, but really dude? I approve of using events for trees and stuff though! See that's how you make details on a large map people, not making insanely large images to use as map backgrounds. Seriously, if you have to use super large maps don't use parallax mapping. Imagine if this 500x500 map used it? It would need a 16,000 x 16,000 image. That would need at least 768,000,000 bytes or so of ram to even load wouldn't it?

I swear every time I hear of someone using these monster sized maps I want to code a seamless chunk loader thing. Too bad I am so darn lazy.

I know a 500x500 map might seem laggy, but when I tested the game, it didn't lag at all because of the anti-lag script, so that's not a concern to me at all (but thanks for putting it into consideration). I've worked on every precise detail of this huge map for about 5 months now, so having to divide the map into different parts would take almost as long as it took to make the map from scratch. Plus, I've changed so many of RPG Maker's default game systems in my game using parallel processes that splitting the map would mess up my very precise and weird game mechanics.

But as for my main point, I know people have broken the limits of the RPG Maker VX Ace Database and Editor before. Some scripts have been able to allow more than 9,999 switches and variables, and allow more than 999 maps in the game. Via script or elsewhere, their must be some way to allow more than 999 events on a map. Heck, this commercial project is so important to me that I'd be willing to commission a script for a good price just so I can do this. Do you by chance know anybody who could accomplish such a thing?

Well, like I said, I am pretty sure there is no hard limit on the number of events in game, the only limit is with the editor. Best bet I think would be a script that would clone a basic event a bunch of times using regions or something. Or maybe one that loads events from a copy of the map. I would be able to code it myself, but I am having a looooot of trouble focusing on anything lately because of this annoying buzzing going on in my ears all the time. Plus I am pretty lazy anyway.

That Database Limit breaker script is one I am familiar with. I also know that there was a plan to include a way to have more than 999 events in the editor on any given loaded map, but that never happened. 16,000 px sq images are massive in size and in file size; it would BSOD crash/crash file explorer in most cases.

(of course no one ever actually expected people to use parallax mapping for anything larger than 100x100 and that was said by parallax mappers on more than one occasion)

You say you use lots of events for things like trees and other non-interacting elements. I tend to avoid that for events and use alternate methods, but you altered a lot of the default game setup, so maybe that wouldn't work as well, I wouldn't know.

I am one of those that tries to use as few events as possible. There are event clone scripts out there, though whether they'd work or not, again, I would not know.

21 minutes ago, PhoenixSoul said:

That Database Limit breaker script is one I am familiar with. I also know that there was a plan to include a way to have more than 999 events in the editor on any given loaded map, but that never happened. 16,000 px sq images are massive in size and in file size; it would BSOD crash/crash file explorer in most cases.

(of course no one ever actually expected people to use parallax mapping for anything larger than 100x100 and that was said by parallax mappers on more than one occasion)

You say you use lots of events for things like trees and other non-interacting elements. I tend to avoid that for events and use alternate methods, but you altered a lot of the default game setup, so maybe that wouldn't work as well, I wouldn't know.

I am one of those that tries to use as few events as possible. There are event clone scripts out there, though whether they'd work or not, again, I would not know.

Ah ha, very clever. I took a look at these, and I tried one. The only problem is, I can't see were the events are on the map while editing. Having to memorize every coordination of more than 999 events is practically impossible. Almost every event has a different function, so I would also have to make more than 1 map to store all the source events, and THAT would be painful to memorize which source event does what (in case I need to edit it). Also, I too try to use as less events as possible to the point that it makes the game somewhat enjoyable at least. But in this case, I need each event. They all have graphics that can't be shoved into a group of tileset sheets, and VX Ace doesn't allow that many tileset sheets unfortunately. Does any script exist that allows me to insert a character sprite graphic onto a map?

42 minutes ago, MasterMoes said:

...Does any script exist that allows me to insert a character sprite graphic onto a map?

I am not sure, since I have never looked into this myself.

1 minute ago, PhoenixSoul said:

I am not sure, since I have never looked into this myself.

Ya, I tried looking, couldn't find anything. Well... if you know any active script writers I can commission to, tell me. Thanks for the concepts though, it was worth a try