Hey folks, nice to meet you all. New member and first time poster here so apologies if this is the wrong section. Feel free to move to a more preferred section.

I've been inspired to create a game based on a D&D campaign I'm currently playing in and was wondering if there was somewhere I could find class builds that accurately represent classes in D&D.

Mainly for Barbarian, rogue, gunslinger and wizard classes?

If there is no such place to find this info, would you kind people possibly educate me on how to create balanced classes to fit the requirements i need?

Thanks for reading

Well, D&D has a much different kind of 'ruleset' then VX Ace does. I mean, RPG Maker doesn't really have a concept like feats or the kinds of skills a rogue is likely to use. You might be able to find scripts for some things like that, but a one to one translation of the D&D rules to RPG Maker would be a lot of work I think. Plus their are slightly different rules depending on the addition of D&D you are using.

You're going to need to do several things.

First choose which version of D&D you want to work from. I'm assuming either the latest, or the one you are campaigning with at present.

Then decide what you want your game to look and flow like, because as Kayzee mentioned, you will have to make some compromises when adapting D&D concepts to RPG Maker.

Then identify what those requirements are so that we can better help assist you.

I would recommend using refrences from D&D as a base, then give the classes your own personal touch as you adapt them into RPG Maker.

I'm not a D&D guy, but from what I understand the great thing about D&D classing is that it's just a guideline that still allows the player to customize, characterize and create a unique person.

Something you'll want to look at (if you aren't already aware of it) is Falcao's Pearl ABS.

https://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/8809-falcao-pearl-abs-liquid-v3-update/

Not only does it give you a beautiful live action battle system (Zelda-style), but it has a powerful tool system script that lets you create your own tools such as bows, boomerangs, grappling hooks, bombs, lockpicks, Trap tools, basically anything you can dream up and put together.

Edited by That One NPC

Eh personally I am not a fan of ABS scripts, they all feel rather clunkly to me. Though the tool system might be helpful yeah. I think there are other scripts that might do a better job at tools, but I am not sure.

Also, if you are a fan of really old school D&D, you might like Dungeon Craft. It's basically a modern open source version of Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures, which was a construction kit to make games in the style of some of the official AD&D PC games. Probably not at all the kind of thing you are looking for, but I thought I would mention it just because Unlimited Adventures has a kind of special place in my heart. I think it was the first RPG creation tool I ever used!

Edited by Kayzee

One thing you'll wanna consider is the damage formula.
I'm not well-experienced with D&D, but emulating the dice is semi-simple with a (1+rand(number)) in the damage formula.

The 1+ is there because rand(number) returns a value between zero and the number minus one, or a range of the number specified (i.e. rand(3) would be zero to two).

Addendum: If you wanted multiple dice rolls, without using @Kayzee's scriptlet below, it would require the use of multiple (1+rand(num)) in the damage formula, and there is limited space in the damage formula for this stuff...

If you're looking to have specific weapons use formulas, there's one script I know of that does it. Otherwise, the damage formulas are items and skills only.

Edited by PhoenixSoul
Addendum for something my tired mind forgot to add... -_-

Technically it's a bit more complex then that because of the way D&D uses multiple dice. Dice rolls in D&D and other such games are usually notated in XdY form, where x is the number of die and y is the max value of the die. Maybe this might help:

class Game_Battler < Game_BattlerBase

def dice(num, max)
    result = 0
    num.times do
      result += 1+rand(max)
    end
    return result
  end

end

if you add that as a script then you can put "a.dice(X, Y)" to roll XdY dice. If I wanted to get fancy, I could probobly make something that uses string replacement to translate dice notation into a function call or something. Of course this ignores things like 'advantage' right now, but it's possible to do. You can add stuff to dice rolls so 'a.dice(2, 4)+2' or 'a.dice(1, 20)+a.agi' will work.

Hmmm...

Spoiler

=begin

Written by Kayzee/Killo Zapit
Explained by KB Gaming

Use a.dice(x, y) or b.dice(x, y) in your damage formulas to simulate percentage dice rolls.
x = number of dice, y = dice level
Compatible with other damage formula and RGSS syntax.
=end
class Game_Battler < Game_BattlerBase

def per_dice(num, max)
    result = 0
    num.times do
      result += (10*rand(max))*0.01
    end
    return result
  end

end

I have some dice that are like this:
00, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90
Might not be perfect, but should do the job (maybe-it might not work lolz)