That One NPC

Wheelchair in an RPG - Open Discussion

I've been thinking about making a game set in the near future. Like 2099. I was thinking about making the lead protagonist a Mexican girl who is in a wheelchair.

I wanted to discuss the concept of putting the lead character of a rpg in a wheelchair.

● All of the challanges it presents. Don't look at it as ragging on the idea or trying to shoot it down, this is how things get green lit, so you don't invest time and resources to find major road blocks down the road.

● All of the things that can work and be interesting. Ideas to really make the chair a tool in a character's kit. To celebrate people in wheelchairs, and be a source of liberation and fun instead of a set back or hindrance.

Ideas I've had are moving quickly. Having tires as one of the accessory equips. Different type types can allow stair climbing, terrain mobility, speed, etc.

If the game is made, you'll get a special thanks for any input you end up providing.

Edited by That One NPC

How about a Schwinn bike motor, for when the character needs to make a run for it, but using the hands won't suffice.
Or, in similarity, having the option to turn the wheelchair into a hand-crank bicycle. Such would make higher speeds easier to obtain and maintain.

I once saw some 3D models of a wheelchair/go-kart-like hybrid, that supported up to a 110cc motor. It was just a prototype design, but it looked plausible enough, back in 2004.

Scissor spring coil mechanisms for lifting into the air, akin to ejector seat mechanics but at a fraction of the G Force those output.

I like the idea of jumping. She is good with machinery and electronics, so I wanted her to be able to using crafting to make tons of different stuff for her chair, make better slingshots, and misc. gadgets.

I thought about a power chair, And a hover chair.

This is an interesting concept. I think it can work, but that would depend on the plot. 

What do you think of the wheelchair releasing water or oil to slowdown enemies when they are chasing her?

She would need a backup plan to defend herself if an enemy knocks her out of her wheelchair. How about a bracer with the ability to shoot bullets?

When I was thinking of doing something similar until that project became a writing project, I drew inspiration from from Alien: Resurrection. One of the characters is a bada** in a wheelchair who uses his chair to hide all sorts of things, like weapons and, if my memory serves me right, he also uses it to store things he picked up along the way. He's got a gun in there, I know that for sure. While he didn't have a technical backup for if he fell out, he did have a friend who was willing to carry him around if he couldn't use it - that was a plot point even. He was also great at using his arms to do things like climb ladders (another plot point).

Honestly, I can't help but think that there is a strong possibility that by 2099 medical tech will make wheelchairs unnecessary. I mean, that would be like 80 years. Look at all the things that have happened with technology in the last 80 years. It's pretty crazy! By 2099 with might have nanomachines that can repair damaged nerves in no time or something. Heck, I heard people say that the singularity might happen as early as 2045. Not sure I quite believe that but predicting the future is kinda a fool's errand anyway. Though it's still fun to try sometimes! Even so, personally I think the game might be more interesting if it was set closer to modern day and featured tech that was less speculative and more like the kind of thing that might be possible to do with current tech. Which I bet is more then you might think! There are lots of amazing people out there who like to tinker and build up cool stuff, and I find it hard to believe there isn't already a small but dedicated group of people who are modding their own wheelchairs to do cool stuff.

It's rarely the case that we've been able to predict technological breakthroughs over a portion of time greater than 50 years. In the 50s and 60s, they thought we'd have flying cars by now. We have a lot, but not as crazy as they thought it would be. We tend to think, "We've done so much in the last 50 alone." But major breakthroughs don't happen every other week. Progress is made every other month across the board, but these things take time. You also have to factor in everything we have done, lol. Progress has slowed down a bit because we did move so fast, for so long. We're now expanding into the unknown, the theoretical,the previously impossible.

Even if there are nano machines, not every family will be able to afford the operations. This game is set in a world beginning to really feel the weight of climate change, over population, and shortage of resources. 

2099 was a working date, I was thinking about further in the future when a Mars colony has been established. The super power governments send most of the extra resources to Mars (and getting them there), where they've largely banked their future.

For being knocked out of her chair, a few straps like seat belts will help her stay in the seat even if it falls over. Some spring loaded kick stands on either side and the back could pop her upright again, and she uses a slingshot as a weapon, so she could attack fom a grounded position.

I don't want to give anyone guns. 

Edited by That One NPC

The Paralympics use some nice designs for mobility, that'd be worth a look into.

What sort of systems would be in place? Is it an adventure RPG, you mentioned jumping and recovering from being knocked over. Battle system basics? Active battle system on map or separate in a turn based way?

I wish I was better at sprite work, I'd make more chairs. It's one thing to edit something, it's another to create it from scratch.

Modern adventure rpg. Some jumping on the map might not be too bad, I've thought of things like stair climbing wheels or some form of contraption, just so the chair doesn't end up feeling limited when navigating the game world. Being knocked over might not factor in because the battle with probably be active turn based.

Edited by That One NPC

Upgrades rather than equipment might be something. Best example I can think of for comparison is pokemon, rock climb, use something like chair abilities.

Turn based can still have some nice features, in the early stages being knocked over could take two turns to recover, then having a spell/magic/tech to recover quicker. Instead of a shield breaking bar, have a stability meter. 

Throw up a design document, that'll give you room to get ideas down, problems and solutions.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:42 AM, That One NPC said:

It's rarely the case that we've been able to predict technological breakthroughs over a portion of time greater than 50 years. In the 50s and 60s, they thought we'd have flying cars by now. We have a lot, but not as crazy as they thought it would be. We tend to think, "We've done so much in the last 50 alone." But major breakthroughs don't happen every other week. Progress is made every other month across the board, but these things take time. You also have to factor in everything we have done, lol. Progress has slowed down a bit because we did move so fast, for so long. We're now expanding into the unknown, the theoretical,the previously impossible.

Like I said, predicting the future is kinda a fool's errand anyway. That said, I'm pretty sure flying cars are one of those things that even in the 50s and 60s anyone who seriously thought about it would realize it was a terrible idea. I mean, the thing is, we do have flying cars. Just no one uses them because they are a waste of time and money. A lot of the 'future tech' speculated about in the 50s and 60s were things that just didn't make any logistical sense at all if you think about them for half a second. Have you seen some of the demonstrations they made of 'future homes'? 90% of it is just kind of makes me think: "Why would you use a complicated gizmo to do something you can do on your own much more simply and easily?" Though I still feel that way today about so-called 'smart appliances'. It's like, yeah I could get a fridge with internet access but... Why? I have a laptop thanks, and I am not sure how fiddling around with it to take inventory of stuff or something is any easier then, ya know, looking. Plus if I get one my fridge could be hacked. Yeah, no thanks.

Are nanomachines the same way? I don't think so. I mean they already have stuff like this. Custom programmable bacteria is basically the same thing as a nanomachine really. It can be a super useful way to deliver medicine at least. I will tell you that there are a heck of a lot of stories out there where nanomachines can do insanely unrealistic things that make no sense though. Looking at you Kojima.

Still, the future is the future. Anything you or I say about it is probobly wrong.

Edited by Kayzee

Spoiler

If 'man' were meant to fly, a non-existent 'god' would of given 'man' wings...

Instead, people were given the ability to understand how to fly without wings, though for some of them...

Spoiler

That's not flying! It's falling, with style!

lolz

I still think having a wheelchair with a large motor and jump mechanics would be awesome. lol