kasain

RPG Creator

Well, I myself have always enjoyed video games. RPGS are some of my favorite games.  Saying that, when I grew up in the 2000's and played Blue mage in FFXI, I found a job I liked playing.  Sadly no offline rpg really has a blue mage, or if they do anything more then a side.  So I have been working on a script or story per say, but I don't know anything about programming.  I am much better at making money.

So I thought I would try to get a ballpark on how much a rpg game would take to make and perhaps hire one or two people.  I can always share a more detailed script of my game to potential contractors.  But basically a world full of magic had it removed overnight.  Thus most magic users and tech vanished.  This caused hardship on the world.  But a few people found that through the animals, due to them living off the land they had abilities that could be learned and used as magic, hence blue mage was born. 

The story follows one to three toons and there quest across the world learning magic and helping people along the way.  And in the end deciding if magic is good for the world or if it is better off without.     

Project budget estimates will vary depending on the project. Each team member will have a price. Going commercial you'll probably need a composer to make sure your music is original and created for your game specifically. The composers price may be a negotiation, so there's factors to work into that figure. If you're planning to release commercially - and if you're hiring bodies, I assume you are - it may be a good idea to look into paid resource packs around steam and RPG Maker sites, if you're using RPG Maker. Resources are important, unless you want to comb through the free stuff. if you find any packs you know want and can use for your game, factor those prices into the budget.

Other site members may have a better estimate on the cost of the average indie project.

There are some games I can direct you toward that have blue mages job classes, or characters that are blue mages.

Final Fantasy 5: Blue Mage Job

Final Fantasy 6: Character Strago uses Blue Magic

Final Fantasy Tactics: Blue Mage Job

Final Fantasy 8: Character Questis uses Blue Magic

Final Fantasy 9: Character Quina uses Blue Magic

Final Fantasy 10: Character Kimahri uses Blue Magic

These are some other games you can play for more inspiration, as 5-8 had the best story lines and characters of the entire franchise. 5 was the birth of the blue mage. The best part about V and Tactics is with the job system, anyone can learn blue magic and keep it on hand even when they switch jobs.

(Noting VII has an Enemy Skill Materia which replicates the Blue Mage/Syne Sorcerel class, though the number of useful skills is a little dull...)
(pretty sure III has a Blue Mage class too...)

I can pretty much second that resources are going to be the bread and butter of your project, no matter the engine.

10 hours ago, That One NPC said:

There are some games I can direct you toward that have blue mages job classes, or characters that are blue mages.

Acccctuuuuly *gets on nerd glasses* The original Final Fantasy Tactics didn't have a blue mage job, only the sequels. Also, you forgot the Enemy Skill materia in Final Final Fantasy 7, but okay I guess it's never actually called blue magic in that game.

Also, 5-8? Wait... You... You actually like FF8's story?!? The same FF8 that had a sudden revelation about all the characters growing up in the same orphanage and then forgetting about it because GFs ate their memories? The same FF8 staring a dippy emo Gary Stu who gets girls throwing themselves at him while he is like 'whatever'? That FF8? I thought I knew you man... I thought I knew you!

... Hehe just messing with ya, honestly FF8 has it's hokey moments but don't they all?

Yeah, 7's was a complete failure. I hate materia, period.

Oh and yeah, parts of 8's story fall apart, but I loved aspects of the overall plot. The concepts to do with time, the gardens, and it was a really good coming of age FF...as good as you can do FF with a coming of age story...lol.

But the raw gameplay picked up the slack and carried it. Sandbox job system based from your summons. Just golden.

Edited by That One NPC

13 hours ago, That One NPC said:

Yeah, 7's was a complete failure. I hate materia, period.

Materia was something that had far more potential than it was given, but I can definitely see why you're not a fan, lol