UncannyBoots

Is it just me or have most prominent MV plugin creators retired?

Yeah; MV is a great platform, but it seems to be too much of a learning curve for those that only knew Ruby.

Speaking of, here's a fact about Ruby that will make your heads spin.

Ruby is itself Open source and public domain; no bit of code that is strictly Ruby-based can be copyrighted, including commentary. I looked into this, and there are a lot of scripts that have invalid conditions of use. I'm not going to name any specifics, but it does mean that if I myself were to write scripts and have a massive amount of restrictions on usage (which I will never), I absolutely, under no uncertain terms, have no recourse to enforce those or punishments for such, nor does any other Ruby script writer.

Now, it might be an asshole move to go against the wishes of the original script writer, but whether that is so is absolutely subjective, and certain things like QoL fixes being restricted for nitpicky reasons is an asshole move on the part of the original script writer. So, why bother implementing them. No, better yet, SCREW THAT. 🤣

Now, as far as the Yanfly scandal goes, I don't know if JS has the same open source licensing as Ruby does, but if it does, then what Yanfly did is absolutely illegal. I believe felony levels of illegality would be involved, though I'm not sure. Of course, I only mention this because there are those who don't like it when something made available to everyone is being hoarded and paywalled, but the legality of it to me means nothing, though the immorality of it does, and oh yeah, Yanfly absolutely crossed the line, no turning back because that bridge is completely burned. Ya screwed up big time, bunny bubs. Just be glad you didn't do the same to your VX Ace scripts, because then there'd be torches and pitchforks with your name on them, lolz

As far as emulation goes, emulation in itself is fine, nothing wrong, illegal or even immoral about it (I mean, DOSBOX was developed in part by the original DOS code writers as are many other emulators and that doesn't include official releases of emulation i.e. PS2/PS3/X360/Wii/etcetera emulators of previous generation games). Also, ROM/ISO dumps are fine if you have and/or had at some point the original copy (with proof of purchase for the latter), but dumping/archiving these is still 'illegal', even with the long since deprecated consoles and computers, with a few exceptions (all Commodore computers are exempt from this and by a formal request to make the source code public domain a little while back-there are other examples but Commodore is one I know of for certain which is awesome honestly).

All these ROM sites being sued are being sued only by Nintendo of America, WITHOUT NINTENDO OF JAPAN'S BLESSINGS. Yeah, that's right; Nintendo of America is and has been going against the wishes of the parent company, but there's a long history behind this, and it goes back to the second world war. Ya see, there's no doubt that the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, with the promise of a full-scale invasion if Japan were not to surrender, would absolutely happen again, though the methods may differ this much time later, it would still be because the Empire of Japan dared go back on their word that they'd never go after the United States in any way, shape or form.

However, I'd love to see Nintendo of Japan interfere, and force them dumbasses at Nintendo of America to stop their stupid, pointless and harmful (not to mention greedy and avaricious) lawsuits against people. I'd love to see that. They won't, unless something bad happens to them and they must, but yeah.

Microsoft chose to make Windows free to use, well, for Windows 10 anyway. Of course, one still has to pay for a license but can do so whenever, however, it's the microtransaction business model being used. Eh, it is what it is. Costs are going up, greed is rampant, and all anyone can do, is let it, because saying anything against it, will get you locked in a damn cage.

This was a thread about script writers vanishing, but became politically charged quick. Imagine in the nearer future, people will read this, and see how horrifying having mortal-written laws truly is. #NeverAgain

@Kayzee The Orwellian Hellscape? Oh, that's already a thing. Has been for a while now. In 92 years, it'll be 2112, and life as depicted in that audio novella by Rush back in 1976 is looking a lot like life now in 2020. The Temples of Syrinx are every damn where, and the location of one of them is:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington DC, 20500-0005

20 hours ago, PhoenixSoul said:

Ruby is itself Open source and public domain; no bit of code that is strictly Ruby-based can be copyrighted, including commentary. I looked into this, and there are a lot of scripts that have invalid conditions of use. I'm not going to name any specifics, but it does mean that if I myself were to write scripts and have a massive amount of restrictions on usage (which I will never), I absolutely, under no uncertain terms, have no recourse to enforce those or punishments for such, nor does any other Ruby script writer.

That's... not how public domain works. In fact public domain is kind of the exact opposite. Public domain means basically no protection at all, where anyone can take it and copyright a version of it themselves if they wish. Most open source software isn't public domain for that exact reason. they use 'copyleft' licenses instead. Also sorry to break it to you but the license of the language doesn't typically effect the license of things written in it. ... Actually I am not even sure programing languages actually fall under the domain of copyright, they might fall under the domain of patents instead, which is a whole other mess. The Ruby Interpreter would I think but that's a different situation.

Edited by Kayzee

In terms of a patent then if something is out in the public domain then it can't be patented. Even if it's the creator that wants to patent it.

Just to jump into this mid way but going back to the initial topic, I did notice a massive different of people learning a new language. Compared to XP where there wasn't a month that went by where people were hosting their own tutorials on learning basics to advanced examples in engine. 

It's not a case of there's a lot of people retiring, it's that there wasn't many. People move onto different things all the time, problem here seems to be there's only been a couple of public people doing it. Granted there may be a lot of people know and use such things but distribution freely seems scarce.