PhoenixSoul

Incompatibility(??): ModernAlgebra's Global Codes and Yanfly's System Options

So, here's the skivvy.
I have set up a certain table of global codes to be used, and in some areas, the codes render the text just fine.
However, in only this particular scene, where I'd like to have the text and/or icons show up properly, they instead show garbage.

I'd like to know how to fix this, and I'm on a deadline so this is info I need ASAP.
I'll be tagging people specifically so that this is seen sooner rather than later.

I don't know where to get the global codes script (I have an archive of scripts and that's where I got it from), and Yanfly's wordpress should still be around.

Tagged for fast visibility are...
@Rikifive @Kayzee @Seriel 

It allows one to use escape characters for various purposes, and make it so that one can use a shorter string in editor entries and anywhere that uses a message window for displaying text.

What I seek to do is show icons in Yanfly's System Options, for showing button press commands. This is the only scene where the icons are not showing, and I don't understand why/how to alleviate this problem.

Hehe I found a copy of the script myself. Looks like it mostly allows draw_text to call draw_text_ex if it detects any codes.

Anyway I don't see any reason why there should be any incompatibilities between the two scripts, but I think I might know what your problem is. Are you using any other scripts where you put text in the script it's self? Because if you want to use any message codes in Ruby strings you actually have to use \\ (or \e I suppose) instead of \ to use any message codes. This is because Ruby strings have their own special text codes. Like you will notice a lot of the descriptions for Yanfly's System Options has a \n in it. That's a text code for a new line character. It's a bit confusing because both types of codes use the '\' character, but are completely different. Though internally any '\' characters in the text get converted into 'escape' characters (the normally untypeable character sent by the ESC key, which is given by the string text code \e). 

Edited by Kayzee

I guess don't use \e then and just use \\ like a normal person? :P Though no idea why that would happen unless maybe you used a \e without a message command code after it?

On 1/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, PhoenixSoul said:

However, in only this particular scene, where I'd like to have the text and/or icons show up properly, they instead show garbage.

Works fine to me. Tested in a fresh project with nothing but Yanfly Message Ace, Yanfly System Options and Global Codes.

:volume_bgm => ["\\*\\r[3]", 12, 4, # Options 1 & 2 are Gauge Colours. <== \*\r[3] is defined in Global Codes as "\\i[3]BGM Volume"
                      "Change the volume used for background music.\n" +
                      "Hold \\i[2]SHIFT to change increment by 10." 	# <== Doesn't even need Global Codes, renders fine without it. 
                     ], # Do not remove this.

You don't even need Global Codes to draw icons in the help text, the help window will render the icons just fine with regular escape codes, you only need to use Global Codes if you want the icons in the command name for some reason.

If there's any other problem, it must be coming from one of the other scripts you're using.