rapid_Movement

Material / Tutorials for GTBS?

I walked into this program pretty recently looking for an excuse to try my hand at ruby, and to waste some time trying to make some of the far-flung D&D / game concepts my friends and i talk about have a more tangible component to them. It's been a lot of fun so far, but the main problem i'm having is just a relic of VX Ace's relative age -  trying to keep up with deprecated documentation, websites that no longer work (and of course weren't captured by archive sites), and generally sifting through ~eight years of materials.

I've specifically been blown away by the complete and utter death of a series of scripts that it looks like no one has even mentioned since 2013 - the GTBS / Layy_Meta_Editor script system, apparently created specifically to target my desperate dork nostalgia for final fantasy tactics / tactics ogre (and apparently the only script ever made for VX Ace even approaching this style of battling?), and after tracking down the creator's functional beta of the script set, i'm starting to understand why its died out - all discussion and tutorial materials were apparently on the creator's direct site, which shut down, and these scripts are, in my admittedly limited experience with the program, on the upper end of complexity. After about four hours of drearily reading through the sparsely commented scripts themselves and stabbing wildly at doing things, i have several .LAYYMETA files, a notepad of jumbled mechanics included in the system i'm not entirely sure about, and a headache.

My specific question might be more tailored to a professional necromancer - is there a hidden trove of GTBS tutorials under my nose i can use to learn the system? Failing that, (or maybe even with that), is it one of those old, unsupported systems that can't really be recommend to a guy not super familiar with ruby or coding in general? Or is getting a handle on writing and editing scripts kind of a six of one, half dozen of the other thing, where as long as you're neck deep in text you're learning at about the same rate, in your experience?

More generally, is there a usual accepted source you can go to in situations like this, or is asking questions on forums and slumming around the creators' original websites for clarifications sort of the gold standard?

Thanks for any help you can give. You all seem to have a wonderfully tight-knit community here.