I don't know where to start. I am currently using RPG maker and I could have sworn I have posted about this a thousand times, but I seem to keep losing the thread I've made in regards to this. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times anyway because I had done a search for this on and off for about a year or so and end up with the same results. Though I did manage to find a way around it, but because I am using scripts I am receiving script errors. Well, one in particular. There's a script error for Galv's region effects. As it is shown here it has something to do with the PadConfig. Right where is highlighted is what the error is showing me and so I don't know what sort of changes I need to make to get this script working again. Galv's Region effects is there for tile special effects on character movements like the splashing in water or the dust trail on the road. I would like to be able to keep these effects in the game if at all possible. Help in this would very much appreciate it. 

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (78).png

Hmmm...

return if input.trigger?(:PadConfig.confirm)

:

See if that small change doesn't help. Given my knowledge with either script is nil, but I do know that input calls typically have a colon (:) before the input name, it is my best guess. If that doesn't work, someone else with more knowledge than I have should be along, at some point...maybe...
@Rikifive

Edited by PhoenixSoul

What is that  PadConfig.confirm  for in the first place and where it came from?

By default you have this:

return if Input.trigger?(:C)

Your script is modified for unknown to me reason, because I don't see any scripts for input on your list, or at least I don't recognize any. Therefore, nothing like this is initialized (set up) for it to call that constant properly.

Compare your script to the original:

https://galvs-scripts.com/2012/10/04/region-effects/

Since you're confused about the error, I assume you didn't modify the script yourself (?), because otherwise you'd mention the other script (input system of some sort) you're trying to make it work with. So yeah, if you didn't (want to) make any changes, restore this script to its default version, by getting it again from the page linked above.

Are you sure the switches and stuff in the configuration is set up properly? It's hard to pinpoint why something doesn't work, while not seeing anything (all the code/ errors and stuff). I haven't used the script myself, so I'm not even sure how it should work exactly.

There's a demo included in the project, double check how things work and make sure it is set properly/the same way in your project.

I'm following the instructions carefully and have been playing close attention to the script setup options which are the things that were needed to change.

• I've matched the Spawn id which is the map where the Region effects are in.
  • Max effects (which I left as is) which is the number of effects being used on screen
  • The region effect switch is something I am still trying to figure out as it is meant to disable the effects

The region effect switch is on 1 so when I tried to splash water, nothing happens. When I try to change it to, lets say 7, It'll work with the exception of the character leaving behind a door graphic.   Here is a screenshot. So uh, thoughts? ^^;

Screenshot (79).png

I tried something. I went ahead and produced a spawn map copy and deleted the old one to use a different ID. It got rid of the door graphic, but I don't see the effect's graphic to go with the sounds. 

Yeah, don't put zeros.

As for the gamepad part, it wasn't really mentioned in the thread, so I'm not even sure what is the actual problem there, nor what to refer to.

@Rikifive I have a large repos. of scripts (LOCAL STORAGE) and I had a hunch it was one of them.

Lone Wolf - Gamepad Extender is most likely the script being referenced. Of course, if I am wrong, then the OP should correct me instead of cold shoulder.

If it is, then yeah; my input call correction would of made all the difference since it still requires the colon where it was missing.

The OP is confusing tbh, tags and title say one thing, the post another, but I think I see the problem now.

I believe there's simply a lack of the gamepad script. You don't have the script on your list, therefore such function doesn't exist, hence the error.

Aside that, that line seemed to be fine. And do not put ":", because it is already specified in the constant in the script it was trying to call. The issue is, that you probably don't have that gamepad script installed.

The OP didn't actually mention wanting to make it work with a gamepad, but only stated the need to fix a problem, that "has something to do with the PadConfig", so I assumed, that the OP isn't even aware, that it calls for a 3rd party script (thus doesn't want it in their project), as it wasn't really specified.

I imagine the region script was copied from another project that used gamepad script, but the OP forgot to copy the gamepad script along with it. (?)

I'm still not 100% sure what is the actual goal there to be honest, so yeah,

If you want to actually keep using the gamepad system
revert the changes to what you had initially when posting this thread and just install the missing, gamepad script.

If you didn't install the gamepad system for a reason (not wanting to use it)
Then removing the modifications, that call for an inexistent script as I suggested was what you were looking for. .. unless there is something you wanted to achieve besides getting rid of the error?

5 hours ago, Rikifive said:

I imagine the region script was copied from another project that used gamepad script

I suspected as well. Instead of getting it from the author, he got it from a working game.

I thought I posted in this thread already with the answer for what script used the PadConfig. Oh well, maybe it was another thread.

But yes it's Lone Wolf Gamepad extender.

Yes, I was at first trying to figure out how to make Lone Wolf Gamepad extender which isn't very beginner friendly. So I had looked further into it like in articles and threads in regard of the script and it sorta led me nowhere. I couldn't make it work since there's no specific instruction as to which script needed changes to link it to that script. Lone Wolf simply said "apply changes as needed" rather than telling where those changes needed to be specifically. 

So I had tried something completely different. I decided on getting rid of the GamePad Extender and made the proper adjustments to the main script themselves. This way it works a lot better, but I had forgotten the changes I made to one of the other scripts I've made which was causing the error. It was when I was following the very "loose" guidelines by the author. So clearing Galv's Region Effects with a new copy of the script has eliminated the error and with a fresh new Map ID # I was able to get the Region Effects script working again. 

Gamepad Extender really requires some intricate, specific setups, so it's no surprise to me that it didn't work for you (I don't even have any XInput-fully-compliant gamepads aside from an inherited X360 controller I intend to use on a different PC should I ever get a new one LMAO)...

Fair enough. I have only the one Xbox One controller that I use to test my game which is still kinda buggy with the headset outlet. I do have a PS controller that is sort of an off brand ps3 controller. Works on Pc, but the analog is broken since it continuously moves left. Eh well, something to fix for another time.

I may consider documenting what I did to make the change work in case people do wish to try it themselves, I'd be glad to share it someday.

May I ask why exactly do/did you want to use the Gamepad Extender?

By default gamepad has the same amount of used buttons as you have on the keyboard, so unless your game needs more keys, I don't really see the point of using that extender (?). I imagine one either wants a combo of keyboard script and gamepad extender or none of these, as expanding just controller would pretty much lead to controller being required to play the game, as keyboard would lack of necessary extra inputs.

I used the Gamepad Extender in one of my games only for one specific purpose - to support multiple gamepads, as the game features local coop. To maintain that feature, I also had to use a keyboard script, to expand the available keys there, so that two players could play on a keyboard with the keys they bind to functions.

Spoiler

alkhih0.png

In my case it wasn't that necessary, I could have put a requirement, that two pads are needed to play on coop, but if you have a singleplayer game, where all keys are important, then you do want to expand your keyboard as well.

Now if you'd use a keyboard script, you'd bump into exactly the same problem, as the configuration is nearly identical.

Sooooo the question is, do you really need it and why? Try to avoid using scripts you don't really need. Flooding your script editor with a collection of scripts is a bad practice and a very common mistake beginners, who don't know how to code do. ... and then this is what happens. 😛

Anyway, to try to explain how it works...

10 hours ago, Yugo Salkins said:

Lone Wolf simply said "apply changes as needed" rather than telling where those changes needed to be specifically. 

The script does warn, that a little bit of coding knowledge is required.

# This is not a plug-and-play script. 
# Some knowledge of RGSS is required for proper use.

And this is for a reason, as it's scattered all over the place. Configuring it is quite messy, so is trying to explain it to those, who haven't toyed with scripting.

Input.trigger? , Input.press? etc. are pretty much all over the place - these are functions that handle input with a specified key. CTRL+SHIFT+F and searching for these in the script editor should lead you to where those changes need to be done.

Now in regards to the script, pretty much all you need to know is what's in the instructions there:

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Command Reference:
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# All calls to extended buttons on Pad 1 can be made through the Input module.
# When using multiple pads, send calls to WolfPad with pad number (0...3)
#	as the final parameter. (i.e.  WolfPad.press?(:A, 3)  )
#
# The current list of mappable buttons is as follows:
#
#	 :A, :B, :X, :Y     - XBOX 360 standard face buttons.
#	 :L1, :L2, :R1, :R2 - Four triggers (LB, LT, RB, RT)
#	 :SELECT, :START    - Back and Start buttons
#	 :L3, :R3				    - Clickable Analog buttons
#
#	 :UP, :DOWN,
#	 :LEFT, :RIGHT	    - D-Pad buttons
#
#  :L_UP, :L_DOWN
#  :L_LEFT, :L_RIGHT  - Left stick directions
#
#  :R_UP, :R_DOWN
#  :R_LEFT, :R_RIGHT  - Right stick directions

To give a simple example, if you'll go to Scene_Gameover, you'll find this in line #24

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Frame Update
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def update
    super
    goto_title if Input.trigger?(:C)
  end

oh what's this? Go to the title screen if the player presses the [ :C ] key (either on keyboard or gamepad - see settings under F1 key while in game)? Sounds cool!

But how does one make it work with the extender? 😮

By following the instructions, let's bind the "A" key on xbox pad (or CROSS on PS controller); We want to bind one of the face buttons:

goto_title if Input.trigger?(:C) || WolfPad.trigger?(:A)

Now pressing that [ Z ] on keyboard OR pressing [ A ] or [ CROSS ] on gamepad should return the player to the title scene.

Now repeat, repeat and keep repeating such modifications all across the script editor, where input is called.

One thing I'm wondering on is, if it won't trigger the input twice or something. The default inputs are bound to both, keyboard and gamepad, so I wonder if adding a second gamepad input (that would happen to be a different button than the default) won't give funny results. Haven't tried, nor delved into the code, so idk. It's just something that came to my mind.

As I've mentioned earlier, I used both, keyboard and gamepad extenders, so I wasn't using the default binds at all. Also, I wrote my game from scratch, so I didn't have to toy with any default scripts as I deleted them lmao; just coded everything on my own, having these new inputs in mind. Since keyboard and gamepad inputs were separate, it all worked perfectly.

I actually did follow as it suggested and instructed, but I was doing it blindly because can't read or understand coding to the extent of a very well experienced coder. So when I was looking for Input triggers with C I would change it to A for instance, It was like solving a math problem without knowing the math with only a teacher telling you if it's right or wrong (mostly wrong) so you try again. Maybe I was doing it wrong? Maybe there was more I needed to do aside from changing the input trigger? I don't know, but it's a relief that knowing this now rather than much later. Or maybe I could have known this sooner to save myself the time and frustration. I guess I was simply too stubborn in trying to make the script work for a single player game. I don't know! It was put on hiatus for a while until I had just jumped back into it.  All it took was someone to point out and say "hey, that script is wrong. Just do a recopy". I had forgotten that I had removed the Gamepad Extender previously so that is why the this thread was a bit confusing. The error was still there though so I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong until now. The important question that I would like to ask is, can I still use Gamepad Extender? Even if it's intended for multiplayer for both Keyboard and Gamepad I would love to make a multiplayer adventure overhead rpg in the near future.

As I said (at least I think I did?), I'm not a coder so I don't understand coding or learned enough to actually produce any coding to run a game properly on my own. I have problem solving skills that allowed me to push through things that's well above my level of understanding, but as far as my knowledge in coding is considered. It's par between beginner and maybe borderline intermediate level at best. I don't know how to code my game from scratch and I am practically learning all this by myself to simply complete a short, regular rpg game. So following the instructions, doing the research to fill in the blanks, and with trial and error was all I could do when I didn't know any better the game's control change could have done well without the script. At the time I thought the Gamepad Extender was what I needed because most sites I had looked up say that you can't change the gamepad button configuration and that pressing F1 during game was the way to do it. 

I wanted to set up the controls that is familiar to the player to make the gameplay experience more enjoyable. It would discourage players from playing my game if they're having to press F1 to rearrange the button controls unless they suspect they're in standard RPGmaker default or wanted to customize the controls to their personal liking. I also have to keep in mind that not everyone that play video game rpgs are familiar with playing RPGmaker style games. So I knew what I was looking for, but I didn't now how to make it possible. This is a game I plan to sell not just on steam so I had my concerns about it. This is all still learning to me and coding is probably the most challenging thing I had to work with. Another question I should also ask, after changing gamepad controls to the Xbox controller default should I also consider reconfigure the Keyboard controls to match as well? Even though this is still my first legitimate game that I have worked on for god knows how long, I still want to make sure everything is right for the player this first time around especially before it hits the market.

It's not that I don't appreciate your help in explaining how Gamepad Extender works or why it's instructions described the way it is, but I would like to be able to come back to this thread for reference when I need to. I have a strong feeling that I most definitely will come back here for reference. I also feel like I have invested so much time in learning every bit of RPG Maker VX Ace when there's also other versions of RPG makers that's a little better or easier like XP or MV, but to relearning everything you already learned in VX Ace to work a game on a different RPGmaker. egh.

Thank you for your assistance Rikifive and I apologize with the long winded post.