ShawnHartwell

Inquiring about survival horror genre

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone!

I have not developed a game with this engine in a long time. My last project was a game in this genre before the files got corrupted and I stopped developing games.

My interest lies in understanding the sort of mechanics developers tend to use with this engine when creating survival horror games. I would love to hear people's thoughts on the best mechanics for games from the horror genre, including games free of combat focusing more on other mechanics.

Hearing from other developers about this genre and the mechanics used will help me in developing some test maps and help me relearn some basic skills. I remember that I used to mostly focus on story-heavy elements while developing that game all those years ago. I had not made a single combat situation throughout the game focusing more on "piecing the story together - finding out what happened there" combined with puzzle/riddle type mechanics.

I feel that it's been so long that the majority of the skills I had then have been lost. I am really interested in getting my feet wet with something creative using the engine. With so much free time through this pandemic it's made me want to do something creative with an engine I used to LOVE(since the earliest versions of the engine when I was 10 years old.)

Thanks and I hope to hear from people willing to discuss the mechanics used in the horror/survival-horror genre. :)

Edited by ShawnHartwell

I am willing to discuss the mechanics used in the horror/survival-horror genre, but I can't always say my opinions are always very useful. XD

Hmmm...

If you're talking about the under-the-hood stuffs, I don't think you'll necessarily need extra scripts, though there is one by Mjshi that allows one to make a much more simplified menu that uses the Scene_End as a base. Apart from that, it's mostly just events, switches, variables and of course, graphics.