Nomatika

What is possible with scripting?

I am interested in what I can do with scripting. I was wondering how, if I put in the time to learn Ruby, I could add mouse support for my games and have a Quick Save hotkey built into them.

• Mouse Support: I like the games where all I have to do is press where I want my character to go and they begin moving in that direction. I am often annoyed when I am sprinting and it leads to bumping into walls and obstacles that would have been avoidable if I were walking. And it often happens when I am walking. It is really upsetting when I am trying to move to my destination as fast as I can trying to steer clear of monster encounters.
  • Quick Saving: I think it would be convenient to have a built-in Quick Save hotkey so I, and those who will play them, don't have to go through the multiple menus just to save a game. Like in the example above, when trying to avoid conflict I would like the option to press a key that would automatically save my game to the last save file used and continue on until I need to quickly save again.
  • Load/Load Game: A load option would be very nice. When I am faced with powerful monsters that I am trying to avoid on my way to a boss battle, and I am trying to conserve Mana and HP, it would be nice to have a quicker option of loading the most recent save file instead of quitting the game and have to reload the game through the start menu.

I may find other ways to add more to my games that I feel would really improve them, for saving time and the general player experience. If anyone could help me figure out how to accomplish these things or give me advice on where to start and how to go about it, I would be a very happy camper. Any help, however little you feel you could give, is welcome and much needed ^_^

11 hours ago, Nomatika said:

give me advice

If you want to learn ruby, sure there are courses and some free lessons online.

For making scripts, once you have an understanding of ruby, you need to understand RGSS3. Read the help file.

Otherwise, what your asking for has scripts made already. Just search for them.

Technically speaking anything and everything is theoretically possible with scripting, though many things involve win32api hackery or custom DLLs which is arguably cheating.

• Mouse support? Doable. Scripts already exist for that.
  • Quicksaves? Not too difficult I think.
  • Loading from game overs or the menu? Seems pretty easy to do.

So yeah.