Posted (edited)

Face Frames 

Author: Rikifive

Engine: r2KlhgS.png RPG Maker VX Ace

Version: unF1QYX.png 1.1 (2020-10-03)

ES5nFah.png Introduction

Personally I don't work with RM anymore, but I often get asked for help / get requests and this time, fellow devs asked for something, that would draw frames on top of faces, without having to modify every single image with faces.

While modifying the facesets themselves is an absolutely valid strategy, there might be some hassle or imperfections involved with it in specific circumstances such as when wanting to support multiple windowskins and give players the option to select their preferred one in the game settings OR when simply deciding to switch to another windowskin at some point during development. ...Or perhaps someone can't afford GIMP, some may even not be able to run Paint on their hardware. Things happen, sad times. kaZdxtE.png

r9Quzru.png This script's goal is to help you save some time you'd spent on doing (potentially tons of) repetitive manual work.

ES5nFah.png Description

This script draws frames on top of faces displayed in message boxes, menus etc..

No work required, the frames are drawn using windowskin ("Window" image in the Graphics\System folder, that is).

You can also make your own custom 96x96 frame images and switch between these on the fly by adjusting in-game variable.

Also, by adding this script you'll be able to draw window frames wherever you want.
To draw a frame in window contents, use this draw method:

draw_window_frame(x, y, width, height)

This will draw window frame in specified coordinates and dimensions, using current windowskin.

ES5nFah.png Instructions

SCRIPT DIFFICULTY: fhrje1x.png edZfyN4.png edZfyN4.png edZfyN4.png edZfyN4.png
This script is basically Plug & Play if you intend to use the windowskin.

-=> Place script(s) below ▼ Materials; above ▼ Main Process

If you want to use custom images for frames:
- Draw a frame with the same dimensions as a single face (96x96)
- Name the file: "frame" OR "frame0", "frame1", "frame2"...(see configuration)
- Put it/these in PROJECT_NAME\Graphics\Faces
- Configure the script to your needs

ES5nFah.png Screenshots

Spoiler

MESSAGE BOX BEFORE & AFTER

4BZiomF.png

0bm8lfh.png

IN-GAME MENU BEFORE & AFTER

FpkUKi1.png

9a7RrIj.png

USING FRAME IMAGES

z5W5ppx.png

Variable set to 11:

poo2Mr5.png

Variable set to 12:

oHkzhVE.png

ES5nFah.png Terms of Use

HCAXZFs.png You ARE allowed to use this script in non-commercial projects.
HCAXZFs.png You ARE allowed to use this script in commercial projects.
     It's just a little script, so let's not paniK lmao
     If you'd like to support my works nevertheless, donating any amount
     would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. c:
     If your project generates decent revenue, give me $0.01 pls bVuh5CM.png
     ( https://paypal.me/rikifive )
HCAXZFs.png You ARE allowed to edit this script to your needs.
HCAXZFs.png You ARE NOT allowed to repost or post modified versions of this script
     without my permission.

HCAXZFs.png and you ARE DEFINITELY NOT allowed to claim this script as your own lmao

1KHxxtz.png How to credit me: Just include my name "Rikifive" somewhere in the credits.

Good luck!

ES5nFah.png Get Script

CwmT4Ub.png view and copy/download: Pastebin

CwmT4Ub.png download as attachment: Face Frames (RPG Maker VX Ace).txt

ES5nFah.png Addons

CwmT4Ub.png Face Frames - YEA Ace Battle Engine Addon

CwmT4Ub.png Face Frames - YEA Victory Aftermath Addon

ES5nFah.png Certificates

aQCAmMI.png

This script was tested by Eric.

He didn't complain.

Edited by Rikifive
linked addons

Well, hot damn; didn't know this was even a need or something anyone would of ever wanted. Definitely being added to the archive of useful and neat utilities.

You use Game Maker now, do you not?

This is really nice to see something new for Ace and I like the polished look of your post.

I sadly still have more to learn on ruby before I could attempt to make my own script, but what is left to make?

I assume that everyone is to make their own frames, what you have pictured is not allowed to be used?

12 hours ago, PhoenixSoul said:

Well, hot damn; didn't know this was even a need or something anyone would of ever wanted. Definitely being added to the archive of useful and neat utilities.

You use Game Maker now, do you not?

I assume devs who wanted such thing just went with editing the faces themselves, rather than relying on coders.

I've also seen requests for that from years ago.

Anyway, someone decided to poke me and ask for such thing, so here it is lol.

Yes, for my own projects I currently use Game Maker. I literally open Ace only when someone needs something.

7 hours ago, roninator2 said:

This is really nice to see something new for Ace and I like the polished look of your post.

I sadly still have more to learn on ruby before I could attempt to make my own script, but what is left to make?

I assume that everyone is to make their own frames, what you have pictured is not allowed to be used?

Tbh I quite often get asked for help, so from my perspective there has been always something new for Ace appearing from time to time. I just rarely post things publicly, as it requires some extra time to add proper configuration and polish things.

Thank you. c:

Well, there's still tons of things to make, the list there never ends. ^^

Personally I'd write tons of scripts for different menus, huds and stuff like this, as I enjoy designing/coding such stuff, but I just don't have enough of time and motivation to do so. There also are my own projects.

Aside the first 'frame' image, which was an example to work with I made from something provided by someone who requested that script, I later designed my own windowskin and the next frame images for presentation. These are quite meh tbh, not mentioning the fact that most of these are pony related and probably no one would like to use these lmao.

I could provide some frames to use, but there are tons of windowskins out there, so I'm pretty sure everyone got that covered.

Huh, you know I did a script just like this ages ago, though I used resizable frames so I could draw different parts of faces in different windows or under some cases.